Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
joe24658

Mad Mad Mad Mad World not in top 100??

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World didn't make it to the top 100 for the AFI. This has got to be one of the funniest silliest movies ever made with dozens of big stars. I cannot imagine why it didn't make the list. Just my opinion..

I love that one too, along with "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", but I don't think even the people involved in its production would place it in the Top 100. It's just a great, fun, silly movie! AFI (much too snobby for my taste) just seems to prefer its own brand of "quality". I think this is actually the first time I've looked at the list. "Citizen Kane"? zzzzzzzzzz..."The Graduate"? Yuck. "Star Wars", "M*A*S*H", "Tootsie", "Rocky"...arg! "Yankee Doodle Dandy" #100? Where's "Meet Me in St. Louis"? I'll skip reading their next list.

> It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World didn't make it to the

> top 100 for the AFI. This has got to be one of the

> funniest silliest movies ever made with dozens of big

> stars. I cannot imagine why it didn't make the list.

> Just my opinion..

I agree 100% with your opinion!

> Just my opinion..

I for one don't think it belongs.

There are many very funny scenes in " Mad, Mad..... ". No matter how many times I see it I always laugh at Arnold Stang yelling " Dr. Zillman, Dr. Zillman as Jonathan Winters chases Arnold and Marvin Kaplan around the, soon to be demolished, Service Station.

And!!!!!

It's not in the top 1000 in another survey (Movies You Must see Before You Die),

if you can believe that!

So, critics can say what they want, but, I am master of all I survey and I regard

it as the funniest movie of all time and my favorite movie of all time, so take that Roger

Ebert, Tom Shales, Rex Reed, Gene Shalit, et al!

I respect each and every critic and read their opinions religiously, but, as master

of all I survey, if I walk into a movie they recommend and I'm not intrigued within the

first 20 minutes, I'm out of there!

By the same token, as I just indicated above, if they give thumbs down on a movie

I enjoy to the utmost, I enjoy the movie, no matter what they think - it's my dollar, thank

you very much!

I enjoyed that movie so much, I have watched it several times since the first viewing in 1963

and will view it again and again because it splits my ribs every time, especially that service

station scene cited below, and Mr. Durante kicking that bucket always brings tears to

eyes - that Spencer Tracy look near the end is priceless when he decides to join in the

search - shut your mouth, Ethel Merman!!!

I don't care what anybody says, that is my favorite and I just don't see how it can be

displaced as a favorite - The Magnificent Seven, Patton, A Shot in the Dark made a run

for it, but Mad World is Secretariat in the Belmont and the rest are just the also-rans!

Ditto, the Big M is Secretariat in the Belmont, while all the other dazzling, alluring

female actresses are just also-rans - in another thread, I challenged any forum

reader to top the Big M and the best I could get was an offer of another picture of

the Big M to outpace the first posting - Secretariat to the max!!!

That's all, folks, and have a good one!

One of the greatest films of all time, it is a crime that it was not recognized, Man the fact that Gone With The Wind is on there and Mad is not, still shows how backward the industry is. It's a M M M world works on every level, it entertains from beginning to end, and also pokes at Americas obsession with the Holy Grail of being wealthy and the madness that it causes. Deep on many levels. Seriously, it is.....look at Tracy's failed relationship with the daughter he spoiled and the wife he gave up his dreams for, there are many satirical points about U.S. culture that are thrown into the burn pit. People who slam this film have not sat through it or it hit a nerve, a truly brilliant character study of us.

I'm not surprised that IMMMMW didn't make it. It goes on for two a half hours, the characters are not only unsympathetic, but also not very interesting, and the potential cast is largely wasted. It's 154 minutes long. By comparison Duck Soup is 70 minutes, The Palm Beach Story is 90 minutes (and so is Monty Python and the Holy Grail), Annie Hall is 94 minutes, Bringing up Baby is 102 minutes, A Fish Called Wanda is 108 minutes.

> I'm not surprised that IMMMMW didn't make it. It

> goes on for two a half hours,

And? Your point is? Gone With The WInd is 4 freaking hours of drek, yet for some reason it's one of the most regarded films of all time. GWTW is total soap opeara garbage. Mad..... is much more entertaining than this piece of overrated crap. And by the way, I think it's longer than two and a half hours.

Just looked it up, it's 192 minutes.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Of course there are great movies longer than two and a half hours. But they are not comedies. Brevity being the soul of wit, etc., Can anyone think of a great comedy that is as long as two and a half hours? Or even two hours? And while Gone With the Wind is not a favorite, Vivian Leigh does give a striking performance, certainly better than the talent Stanley Kramer wasted.

The only comedy I can think of that runs longer than average is "Mr. Roberts" at 123 minutes. (There's room to conside if it's a true comedy.) Maybe the same applies for "The Quiet Man" (129 mins)For my money "Mad, Mad World" doesn't sustain itself over the whole film. Great cast not greatly used.

> Just my opinion..

This is going to be an essential and did not make the top 100? Something stinks in this survey and it just goes to show you how inaccurate these so called experts are!

Another comedy that is equal in length and just as good, is the movie directed by Blake Edwards. The Great Race (1965) with Jack Lemmon, Tony Curtis, Natalie Wood, Peter Falk, and Keenan Wynn which comes in at 160 minutes.

Don't forget "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies!"

MAGNIFICENT MEN is dreadfully inept dramatically and comically, especially when one compares it with its contemporary, Blake Edwards's THE GREAT RACE (although the "Prisoner of Zenda" section of that film is also rather lame), but I must say that MAGNIFICENT MEN does have a wonderful physical look (I saw Fox's newly-restored 70mm print at the American Cinematheque a couple of years ago), creating a really impressive sense of time and place. Still, that doesn't make up for its almost total lack of dramatic cohesion.

I enjoy your well-informed comments, but lest we forget, it was at least

an updated "talking" parody of the silent era that awoke some

generational acknowledgement to an homage of the silent era.

> how can you not love this movie? It's a

> riot from beginning to end! :-)

I agree, it's also a historic and classic masterpiece! A large slice of what made America funny ranging from Jimmy Durante and Buster Keaton to Sid Caesar and Mickey Rooney and tons of other talented comedians.

Because... I don't??? (because I find it stupid, juvenile, crass, just for starters)

Really, it's quite useless to try to browbeat me into liking something I just don't like...

I was not trying to browbeat you. I'm not sure why you took it that way, but I apologize if you did.

I guess I was just wondering what it was you didn't like about it, because I, myself, can't imagine what there's not to like about it. But I realize everyone sees things differently.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger