Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mad Mad Mad Mad World not in top 100??

It just struck me as an unanswerable question... I don't like it because I don't like it? But then when I thought about it, I realized there were reasons: it's MODERN, which is kind of summing up all the reasons I don't like it in one, succinct word...

In my opinion, Mad Mad Mad Mad World is about "Greed". One of the seven deadly sins as indicated in the Bible. "Greed" has been around as long as man! Prehistoric and modern alike, but in this movie it is treated in a very funny way. It's one of my favorites, but I can understand why others don't like it. "Different Strokes for Different Folks"!

At the time of it's theatrical release Producer - Director Stanley Kramer was making the talk show circuit and pushing the line that " Mad.... " was an anti - greed film. Mr Kramer was well - known for his messages in films. He sometimes was accused of using a sledgehammer in delivering his message.

I love the new promo that's being shown on TCM for "Mad Mad Mad World." The consensus were all positive between the following participants in this classic movie:

Sid Caesar

Jonathan Winters

Edie Adams

Peter Falk

Don Knots

& Marvin Kaplan ( Gas Station attendant with Arnold Stang) who described this movie as a "Time Capsule", with an ensemble that represents all the popular comedians still living in 1963, was historic and "A Very Funny Movie". I said it before this film is a "Historic" tribute of the funny men who not only starred in 1963, but were also pioneers in silent movies! ( i.e. Ben Blue....Buster Keaton etc.) I really believe that there is a small minority that do not like this film. ( It's there right of course which I will defend ) But also accept the right of the majority of us who absolutely love this film! There is nothing like the "Big W"!

Bartlett

• 3 weeks later...

I love IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD. I know many people who just hate the "noise" of it all. I saw it in its original road show presentation, and it was something to behold, on that massive screen. It was shown a our Cinerama theater, although, it was not a Cinerama film. All these years later, I still find it very amusing, and fun to watch. I just wish it would get a proper DVD release. So many DVD releases have been disappointments. My laserdisc is more complete, but neither includes the running police commentary that happened during Intermission. The fact that the AFI even makes lists, is stupid. They should be above such foolishness.

I saw it in a "movie house" and loved it. I was eight and knew at that moment that "greed" was wrong, but watching all those folks, some of whom desperately

reminded me of adult entities in my extended family, made it all the more

hysterical. The swinging ladder, Merman and her girdle, and cabs, trucks,

motorcycles and bicycles, and Johnathan Winters in a gimmie cap

waxing doofus tickled me all kinds of pink because I knew at that moment

sitting in the dark and watching all the gags and setups, that grown-ups

didn't have all the answers.

I still look for treasure under any "W" I find. (Except in the Whitehouse!)

If you enjoy it, why care if it makes a certain list or not?

I can totally see both sides of it, why some think it's a comic masterpiece and others find it, well, overlong? It's just a matter of taste.

One thing I will say is, this is not an easy movie to enjoy in home video format, even when letterboxed. The original aspect ratio was wider than a regular Cinemascope format, it was recently shown here in San Francisco and they had to adjust the screen especially for it.

Also home video versions (and the TCM version) don't include the police radio calls heard in theaters during the intermission... it helped a lot in maintaining the mood during the break.

I only wish it were an hour longer! Truly one of the great epic comedies (perhaps the ONLY epic comedy). Besides, any movie that has both Leo Gorcey and Jerry Lewis in it (albeit momentarilly) deserves some kind of special mention. It's one of my favorite "Sunday afternoon" movies.

(because I find it stupid,

> juvenile, crass, just for starters)

> '

I agree. I didn't like it either when I first saw it in a theater. I sat through the full 8 hours of it, with Ethel Merman screaming all the way through it.

• 1 month later...

I'd just like to quietly say that "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" never made me laugh. It had al those great comedians, and Mickey Rooney.and my favorite actor Spencer Tracy....but the scenes with Ethel Merman I could not take! And so.....I may have watched it through a long time ago when I was younger....I can never make it through it again. Did I say I'm not an Ethel Merman fan??

> I'd vote of its being included in any list of the 100 worst films of all time...

Seriously. This movie is a hoax within the history of film. An embarrassment upon the resumes of its cast, collectively. Do a little dance, dance a little do, and call it entertainment, as if an artist could possibly confess to being so obtuse. Shallow, the definition of shallow, and almost the antithesis of "essential", calling into question the dignity of any who would acclaim it as such. Cheap, in lieu of more graphic ascription.

> What a great movie!...after the 100 or so times I

> have watched it...I still laugh at the greed these

> people have to find the 350 G's under the "Big W"!

> It is indeed in my opinion an "Essential"!

I love the movie and still laugh but I've noticed that as I get older, I don't want to watch the whole movie. I think it's because I know the thing by heart. And it does seem to be getting longer every time I see it.

The scene where Buddy Hackett and Mickey Rooney are trying to wake up Jim Backus is one of the best, I can't drink anything when it's on. And Paul Ford (one of the great character actors) trying to direct the plane down is great too.

> I'd just like to quietly say that "It's a Mad, Mad,

> Mad, Mad World" never made me laugh. It had al

> those great comedians, and Mickey Rooney.and my

> favorite actor Spencer Tracy....but the scenes with

> Ethel Merman I could not take! And so.....I may

> have watched it through a long time ago when I was

> younger....I can never make it through it again.

> Did I say I'm not an Ethel Merman fan??

That's funny, I think she and the guy who plays her son are the funniest parts of the movie. I think they're both hilarious. To each his own, as they say :-)