Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hedy Lamarr on TCM!!!!!!

"Crossroads", the first and second to last movie Hedy Lamarr and William Powell made together, will be on TCM at 1:30 PM. Take off work! Skip school! Cancel that appointment! Put off those chores! Drive unlawfully swift! Do WHATEVER you have to do to be in front of your TV at that time!

If Hedy Lamarr is in it, how can it not be great? Many a lousy movie (I'm not saying this one is lousy) has been made watchable by Hedy's effulgence.

antar the movie was OK and Lamarr was gorgeous as usual. I was also treated to two other favorites in the movie Claire Trevor and Margaret Wycherly.

In the long run the two million was more tempting.

Mongo

Fair enough. Hedy is priceless, but many of her films are so-so. Of course this one is way better than some of them! The problem is, some of her best, most natural acting is in some of her worst, most forgettable films. That's what helped perpetuate the erroneous myth that she couldn't act.

To me pal Antar! I know you are a huge fan of Hedy!

However I never saw this version of "Crossroads"-(a film title the have used a couple times) William Powell-(1892-1984) some may not know licked the big "C!" In the late 1930's/after what was gonna' be his wife: Jean Harlow died in 1937! & obviously from above date,etc He went-on to live a long-life. He's interred at a strange place actually? Where *Sinatra & family are. "Desert Mem. Park" in Palm Springs. I think he lived rest of his life there, after "Mister Roberts" (1955) his final film. He may have even lived there before then? Robert Mitchum referred to jail as Palm Springs without the riff-raff!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

catcarson, HEDY did look really great in the 50's. She aged remarkably. Her voice was even smoother and her speech more confident in the 50's, as well. Not that she didn't sound lovely before. And I like the neat variations on her 40's hairstyle that she wore in the early 50's.

Undoubtely Hedy Lamarr was one of the most beautiful actresses ever, right at the top of the list, along with Liz Taylor, Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly et al. And she starred in some excellent films, especially "H.M. Pulham Esq." which I saw long ago.

She had a perfect face. I bought her autobiography ("Ecstasy and Me") at a used books' store, a couple of years ago, and still haven't read it!!

To me pal Antar, you obviously beat me to the punch & as I log this "Boom Town" is just about over. (NOTE: We have a secret item of "movie memorabelia," along with: cocktailsany1 & LadyM! Got your message that you've sent for it as did the other lady/she beat you to that punch though! But the guy had 5 of said item left, so everybody will be happy) P.S. If you read this in time, as I told her as well. Ask the guy of whom owns the classic cinema item, to e-mail you soon as he gets your dough See ya pal & to lovethemovies-(I won't divulge any names) got your other marvelous package!!! You are 1 "Cool-Lady!"

feaito, I found her autobiography to be quite depressing at times. If you ever do get around to reading your copy, bear in mind it's not entirely of her pen. She sued the publisher for gross alterations to the book. Nothing came of the lawsuit, but I believe her claim was valid. I'm not saying you shouldn't read it, just take it for what it's worth. Much of it is definitely factual.

But yes, "H.M. Pulham, Esq." is among her best. Of her several MGM triumphs, only couple of them fully showcase her dramatic acting capacity.

Antar,

Thanks for the info...you're right, I've read of Lamarr's suing her collaborators who helped her writing that autobiography.... but as you say, it's worth reading anyway.... some truth must lie beneath!

Have you seen "Experiment Perilous" with Lamarr, George Brent and Paul Lukas?.... Some say its one of her very best movies....they say that it may even top the similar Bergman movie from the same year (1944) "Gaslight"... which, by the way, at the same time, some people believe to be inferior than the original british version from 1940....any opinions on the matter?

I've seen "Experiment Perilous" but one time about three years ago and I can remember it only vaguely. I remember it being pretty good, but I know I've got to give it another look. Of all the movies she made between 1932 and 1958, this is the only one I don't have on tape. It's funny you should bring it up, earlier today I was telling a friend about how I had to secure a copy of this one.

Though I can't really make a fair comparison right now, I will say that "Gaslight" is among my favorites, though I'm not a Bergman fan at all. But I still haven't seen the original British version that is supposed to be better.

What I meant by "the movies she made between 1932 and 1958" was all of her movies barring the pre-"Ecstasy" ones.

You're a lucky guy Antar...having almost all of her movies

Doy you know that Louis B. Mayer named Hedy (n?e Hedwig Eva Marie Kiesler) after silent star Barbara La Marr, who was said to be very beautiful (upon watching some photos of her I wouldn't say that she's as beautiful as Hedy....not at all...although beauty canons DO change).... she died because of drug overdose... I've never seen a single silent featuring Miss La Marr ...have you?

No, I haven't seen any of Barbara LaMarr's films yet. I've been meaning to seek some of them out for quite some time now. From what I gather there's only about half a dozen that still survive. But I have seen stills of her and I agree with you, she isn't as beautiful as Hedy. She did kind of have a similar profile as Hedy, but Hedy's nose had pretty much one inward curve from its tip up to her brow and the tip of Barbara's nose came out more sharply. I like Hedy's nose much more.

Well, well, well. TCM has no fewer than five (5, V, .....) HEDY LAMARR movies scheduled in their October lineup. 5! That's many more than usual, which is about two or three. Sometimes one. Sometimes even none. The five include the first and last of her MGM films, "Lady of the Tropics" (1939) and "A Lady Without Passport" (1950), respectively. Also being shown are "I Take This Woman" (1940), "Comrade X" (1940), and "Her Highness and the Bellboy" (1945).

Antar, has that schedule helped? Or has TCM finally been sending-it onto you as yet? Remember & this is for other(s) having same difficulty I had at even getting "Newsletters" Just keep applying, over & over.

But I sent again for "Now Playing." & I am 100 per cent positive now antar, that Hedy L. has as yet to be TCM's "Star of Month." Welp, actually 99 per cent. Because I have like 35 back issues. Kept em all. Maybe she was "Star of Month," before I started my sub. to-it? Around 1996 or so. But it's unlikely. On Barbara LaMarr she's interred in that cem./park thats almost connected to Paramount/RKO Radio! & It's only 5 blocks from my motel I stay at on Vine. Matter of fact, I went past her niche in wall.

• 2 weeks later...

"The Heavenly Body" (MGM, 1943), w/William Powell and HEDY LAMARR (or rather, HEDY LAMARR and William Powell), is on tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. Either stay up late or get up early. Doesn't she look great in this one (not to mention all of her other ones)? I like her "post-Adrian" clothing in it as well. Her second and final film opposite Powell.