Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BandGeek

Most Overrated?

What do you all think is the most overrated horror film of all time?For me it is "The Exorcist."I just wasn't scared of it at all,it just seemed so fake.I personally thought "The Omen" was better if you want a slightly similar story.

Here's another vote against "The Exorcist." I think you had to have seen it in its first run in the theater to get worked up the way the original audience did. (It might be like the Mercury Theater "War of the Worlds" in that respect, although that radio broadcast remains fascinating.) After I saw it on DVD, I read in the book "Thrillers" by Martin Rubin that the movie "The Exorcist" doesn't make sense unless you have read the novel first. That made sense to me, because I never really got the fact that the girl had killed the movie director from watching the film.

Other overrated horror films, in my view, are "Freaks," (I think "Devil Doll" is Browning's best film), "I Walked With a Zombie" (interesting, but not Lewton's best) "The Haunting" and "The Innocents," and "Night of the Living Dead," (I think "Martin" is Romero's best film.)

Also, I get really upset when people say "Night of the Hunter" is a horror film, because I think it is more of a coming of age movie with scary passages. I've never warmed up to "Peeping Tom" and apparently Michael Powell didn't like it when people considered that to be a horror film either. (What bugs me is that people say they like these "horror films" as a way of dismissing all other horror films.)

Sorry to break the pattern here, but, I think THE EXORCIST is a great (and scary) film. I'm not at all religious, but that movie really freaks me out. For an overrated horror film, I'd go with the much more recent BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Not only was it unwatchable (I found myself staring at the EXIT sign in the theater and just listening to it), but it was also decidedly NOT scary.

And, as a general comment, I'd say that any and all remakes of horror films are pale imitations of the originals. (Though I'd say that the remakes - reimaginings, really - of THE THING and THE FLY were superior to the originals...)

Max

I had forgotten about "Blair Witch Project," which I guess shows that it was overrated.

Actually, I like the opening of BWP, when they set up the premise, and I like the last scene in the house. The last shot of the movie is chilling...BUT the middle of the movie could be trimmed by ten minutes (at least) to the great betterment of the film. Three jerks walking around in light woods cursing each other? This is supposed to scare us?

The best comment I read on BWP went something like "in the old days, audiences were frightened by actors like Boris Karloff, but now they are frightened by trees."

Anything to do with Judeo Christian devils, Rosemary's Baby, Excorcist, Omen series, these movies do well in the U.S. especially in the midwest, however are laughed at internationally.The underlying victims are extremely wealthy people, unrelatable outside the U.S. However movies like "The Haunting," and "The Bad Seed" are universal, an have a relatable underlying fear cast within the film.

"The Night of the Hunter" is a horror film? That's a new one for me. This is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I'd never classify it as a horror film. True, it's a real thriller (the crazed man chasing a couple of innocent children) and I believe it's Robert Mitchum's greatest performance. And the photography is exceptional. But it definitely is not a horror film.

Terrence.

> What do you all think is the most overrated horror

> film of all time?For me it is "The Exorcist."

Definitely. An incredibly tedious film.

I'd rate The Haunting and The Innocents as among the very greatest of horror films. Wonderful understated subtle horror, relying more on suggestion than anything else. And both are superbly acted and beautifully filmed.

I think Peeping Tom is one of the greatest movies ever made. I agree it's not a horror movie. It's more a movie about movies. I don't think anyone has ever confronted movie audiences with their own voyeurism more compellingly.