Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sub Rosa Celluloid

CaveGirl

Just as in Mother Goose or Alice in Wonderland, there are often stories which have a surface meaning but a more diabolical or subversive intent hidden to the average viewer.

Some even have overt symbols that one can see or choose not to see, and just enjoy the basic story.

I like films that can be taken in more than one way. For me, "The Blair Witch Project" was not just a horror film, done cheaply and about amateur film neophytes. I think that the subtext was really a polemic against women taking over the world.

Now you'd think I would like that, but really I do feel that occasionally men might have some good ideas and should not be treated as poorly as the girl treated them in TBWP.

The subtle way that the filmmakers showed how her need to take over, and subjugate the men to her will, which led to disaster and the crying jag, was masterful.

Name a film that you find subversive or with a subtext that some audiences might not see, and I shall award you a symbolic laurel wreath that even Montgomery Clift would admire.

Subtext--there were lively threads about subtext during 2015's "Summer of Darkness".  My choices:

"Gilda" (1946)--This movie is Full of subtext, from gay subtext (George Macready's cane,etc.) to triple entendres--or the film can be enjoyed for its' surface plot.

"Godzilla" (1955)--can be seen as an anti-nuke film,about the dangers of nuclear warfare--beneath all the silly dubbed dialogue.

'Beyond the Forest" (1949)--Again, buried under the layers of silliness, is the idea that a woman can take charge of her own life and has the Sole right to own her body; To be blunt, abortion is between her and her Higher Power.  Of course, The Code made the character Pay for that idea.

"The Son-Daughter" (1932)--Buried under the multiple layers of silliness/stupidity, is the idea of a woman going against societal norms and using her brains. 

• Like 3

Subtext--there were lively threads about subtext during 2015's "Summer of Darkness".  My choices:

"Gilda" (1946)--This movie is Full of subtext, from gay subtext (George Macready's cane,etc.) to triple entendres--or the film can be enjoyed for its' surface plot.

"Godzilla" (1955)--can be seen as an anti-nuke film,about the dangers of nuclear warfare--beneath all the silly dubbed dialogue.

'Beyond the Forest" (1949)--Again, buried under the layers of silliness, is the idea that a woman can take charge of her own life and has the Sole right to own her body; To be blunt, abortion is between her and her Higher Power.  Of course, The Code made the character Pay for that idea.

"The Son-Daughter" (1932)--Buried under the multiple layers of silliness/stupidity, is the idea of a woman going against societal norms and using her brains. 

I like your mix of genres, FL.

It's funny, sometimes it is a great film with subtext, and sometimes it can be some throwaway, but there still could be a hidden meaning.

I wonder if secret societies exist in the film community, to spread their message in innocuous ways in films?

Thanks!

• Like 1

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS

Sure, it's well known that the subtexts of Don Siegel's 1956 horror classic is a take on McCarthyism(Tail Gunner Joe, not Kevin in this case) and the concept of "Conformity".

In fact, THIS one shot of Kevin(this time) in this flick I always found to be yet another little visual example of this very thing...

Invasion+of+the+Body+Snatchers+(1956)_00

You see, it's as if Kevin is saying something like, "Yeah, I know no grown man in the 1950s sports bangs like this, but I don't care 'cause I'm NOT going to conform!"

(...see how Siegel so subtly infused his movie with these little touches in order to press his point?!)

;)

• Like 3

GRAIN OF SALT ALERT!

It's often been said, and pointed out that if you look hard enough, you'll see whatever you wish to see.  Or hear...

How many old rock tunes have been railed against at rock'n'roll's beginning because detractors CLAIMED to have heard sexual subtexts in the lyrics, even when there weren't?

So, be careful here......

But in this vein, one I can think of(and has been brought up here before) was the biblical subtext behind the story in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

You know....

A man comes down from the Heavens to bring mankind on Earth a message of peace, a warning to "get along" or promotion of brotherhood if you will.  Finds the populace afraid of him, roams among the masses having taken on the name CARPENTER, faces persecution, gets killed and brought back to life.  And makes a final appeal for brotherhood among men before ascending back into the Heavens.

Sepiatone

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS

Sure, it's well known that the subtexts of Don Siegel's 1956 horror classic is a take on McCarthyism(Tail Gunner Joe, not Kevin in this case) and the concept of "Conformity".

In fact, THIS one shot of Kevin(this time) in this flick I always found to be yet another little visual example of this very thing...

Invasion+of+the+Body+Snatchers+(1956)_00

You see, it's as if Kevin is saying something like, "Yeah, I know no grown man in the 1950s sports bangs like this, but I don't care 'cause I'm NOT going to conform!"

(...see how Siegel so subtly infused his movie with these little touches in order to press his point?!)

;)

Bingo!

That's the one I was thinking of when I wrote my post, even riffing off the name of the town that had the pod people infestation, namely Santa Rosa.

They're coming, they're coming!!!

Better check your basement tonight, Dargo and have a pitchfork ready just in case.

• Like 1

GRAIN OF SALT ALERT!

It's often been said, and pointed out that if you look hard enough, you'll see whatever you wish to see.  Or hear...

How many old rock tunes have been railed against at rock'n'roll's beginning because detractors CLAIMED to have heard sexual subtexts in the lyrics, even when there weren't?

So, be careful here......

But in this vein, one I can think of(and has been brought up here before) was the biblical subtext behind the story in THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

You know....

A man comes down from the Heavens to bring mankind on Earth a message of peace, a warning to "get along" or promotion of brotherhood if you will.  Finds the populace afraid of him, roams among the masses having taken on the name CARPENTER, faces persecution, gets killed and brought back to life.  And makes a final appeal for brotherhood among men before ascending back into the Heavens.

Sepiatone

Excellent choice, Sepia.

Don't be so sure that Richard Berry's "Louie, Louie" did not have some nasty text included, even though the Kingsmen said they were drunk when they sang it and the microphone was on the ceiling so it sounds muffled, and they really have no idea what they were singing.

I have a whole book on the FBI controversy with "Louie, Louie" and I have an album with all known versions of the song, including Black Flagg's and the UCLA Marching Band's take.

Thanks!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings