Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

School Daze

CaveGirl

Remember in the olden days, when having achieved something like a Master's Degree was a real accomplishment?

Films that focus on such university time periods, like in the film "The Paper Chase" are probably now passe. Nevertheless if you can name some films from the past with such a topic, it will be appreciated.

Other fields of study in which one could achieve a Master's Degree used to signify a mastery of a specific field of study or an advanced knowledge of a specialized body of knowledge and could often qualify one to then teach at a college or university. But now due to the topics that one can master, some disciplines could probably be assimilated in a weekend of study due to new standards.

For example all it takes nowadays to get a Master's Degree might be something like passing an exam which is offered three times a year, and the exam consists of five questions, two of which a student must answer over the course of a week in the form of some ten-page essays.

No wonder there are so many people with Master's Degrees now in things like Sanitary Engineering*, Prometheus Prototypes**, Cinematographic Studies***.

Go figure!

Please mention your favorite movie about college or university times.

*plumbing

**comic book heroes

***drive-in flicks

I'm very fond of The Corn is Green even though it's more about a Welsh miner trying to qualify to attend college rather than studying there. Bette Davis is the school marm who sees something special in John Dall as the miner who doesn't have a much confidence in himself as she does in him. And of course, there are a few obstacles that threaten his path forward in life. It's a great movie.

• Like 1

My favorite movie of all time, LOVE STORY, features two young college students who fall in love while attending separate schools of higher education.

(...btw...many TCM board posts of mine mean never having to say I'm kidding)

My favorite movie of all time, LOVE STORY, features two young college students who fall in love while attending separate schools of higher education.

I know it can't be your #1.

1--Best Years of Our Lives

2--The Apartment

3---Love Story

I broke my nose after falling full faced on the floor after your first sentence. Lesson learned: Don't fall before failing to read the whole post..

==

• Like 4

The Physics Department at the Sorbonne gave Greer Garson a very hard time in her quest to discover a new radioactive element. 

And then her hand got all ickky too!

With that red hair, I do think her green hand looked attractive though.

Thanks, Cronin!

I'm very fond of The Corn is Green even though it's more about a Welsh miner trying to qualify to attend college rather than studying there. Bette Davis is the school marm who sees something special in John Dall as the miner who doesn't have a much confidence in himself as she does in him. And of course, there are a few obstacles that threaten his path forward in life. It's a great movie.

Very excellent movie, Helen and thanks!

That was before John Dall became all bloodthirsty and criminally motivated too.

2--The Apartment

3---Love Story

;)

Remember what I said in my standard and signature parenthetical addendum, DGF?!

"(...btw...many TCM board posts of mine mean never having to say I'm kidding)"

And so no, I was just kidding about any affinity I might have for LOVE STORY.

(...'cause I thought it was the just about the most schmaltzy damn movie I ever saw the first time I saw it in 1970, and my opinion of it hasn't changed one iota these intervening 46 years)  

• Like 1

I think Ali MacGraw looked high with that winter hat pulled down over her eyebrows.

I think they parodied that line in "What's Up, Doc?" didn't they?

The only thing I liked about LS was seeing Ray Milland being grouchy and not wearing a toupee.

• Like 1

;)

Remember what I said in my standard and signature parenthetical addendum, DGF?!

"(...btw...many TCM board posts of mine mean never having to say I'm kidding)"

And so no, I was just kidding about any affinity I might have for LOVE STORY.

(...'cause I thought it was the just about the most schmaltzy damn movie I ever saw the first time I saw it in 1970, and my opinion of it hasn't changed one iota these intervening 46 years)  

In your parenthetical remark, I assume you must be kidding.

2--The Apartment

3---Love Story

Great choices, Down!

I bet you have a Master's Degree in Cinema, right?

If not, all you have to do is turn in those few exam papers I listed before in my post, and you can get a Film Studies Master's Degree from NYU.

Life is so much easier now, than it used to be, ain't it?

In your parenthetical remark, I assume you must be kidding.

Good! I thought you just might be kidding too, ol' buddy. But it never hurts to set these kind'a records straight, ya know.

(...YOU know, for any newbies around here...and kind'a like that whole "you can't stand William Powell's Doc character in MR. ROBERTS" thing you mentioned yesterday for the same reason)

;)

Good! I thought you just might be kidding too, ol' buddy. But it never hurts to set these kind'a records straight, ya know.

(...YOU know, for any newbies around here...and kind'a like that whole "you can't stand William Powell's Doc character in MR. ROBERTS" thing you mentioned yesterday for the same reason)

;)

The newbies are now so confused that they'll flee to the SSO.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings