Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Marie Dressler was top $Box-0ffice Star$ of 1932 & 33

spence

Many may already know this fact, but *Marie Dressler-(l869-l934) was the worls top annual $Box-0ffice Champion$ for the yrs of 1932 & 1933 respectively

& of course during the height of the great depression

Only brought this up due to it being her birthday & TCM is currently airing a couple of her flix

Every Monday?  GOOD!

My cable got wonky last night and I missed most of the offerings, plus what I understand, the "walk-off" home run by Tiger JUSTIN UPTON in last night's game against the Mariners(went into extra innings).

But I feel better knowing I still have something to look forward to!

My introduction to Ms, Dressler was her role in DINNER AT EIGHT, and loved not only her movie's last line, but the shocked expression and sudden stop she did when JEAN HARLOW's character blurts, "I read a book..."  "love at first film sight", and I loved seeing her in whatever I could ever since!

Sepiatone

1stly, thanx to those that replied & that sounds like a good concept about *Nicholson. (P.S. There's a rumor that he suffers from Alzheimer's, but I just saw him on HBO's "The Fight Game" talking about Ali & he seemed just fine

& like about 80% of the stars of "The Studio/System" & "Hollywoods Golden Age" (l925-60) chose the massive & all up massive rolling hills, "Forest Lawn, cem" in Glendale, CALIF.-(not to be confused w/the 1 in Hollywood Hills/Burbank) & it's 318 acres! As their final resting place & of course both *Dressler & *Wallace Beery are among them, as well as: *Gable, *Tracy, *Bogie-(a nickname *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" started by the way) *Walt Disney, *Jimmy Stewart, *Mary Pickford, W.C. Fields, Lon Chaney, Sr., Harlow, Lombard & tons more But, beware if you ever hope to visit, unlike "Westwood" & "Hollywood, forever" Glendale is rather rude about fans visiting

THANX

Many may already know this fact, but *Marie Dressler-(l869-l934) was the worls top annual $Box-0ffice Champion$ for the yrs of 1932 & 1933 respectively

My introduction to Ms, Dressler was her role in DINNER AT EIGHT, and loved not only her movie's last line, but the shocked expression and sudden stop she did when JEAN HARLOW's character blurts, "I read a book..."  "love at first film sight", and I loved seeing her in whatever I could ever since!

Sepiatone

A world where a Marie Dressler can compete for box office with a Jean Harlow, and win ? That's a far cry from the world we live in today. 

Not so sure our's is any better.

This is a fact that I will be incredulous about for the rest of my life.

Dressler's tremendous popularity is not so difficult to understand when you stop to think about it.

Her box office success was at the height of the Great Depression at its worst, a time when much of the audiences for movies could be found in the sticks. This was the same period in which Will Rogers was a box office king as well.

And, thinking about it, if anyone looked like a beat up survivor (with mild little comedies as vehicles for her to bring a smile to patrons lips) it was Dressler. Talented as she was as both comedienne and dramatic actress, Marie had an "everywoman" quality about her.

Audiences, too, may have been aware of her own story at the time. She was a long time survivor of the stage and movies who had never had a great success and was contemplating suicide because her prospects for the future looked so grim economically. But it was at the time when she took herself to a restaurant for a last dinner, so to speak, that a film producer spotted her and offered her a good role (it was in either The Patsy or Anna Christie, I forget which). That success turned her career around and literally saved her life.

So that when Great Depression audiences looked at Marie Dressler, now enjoying a popularity in her mid '60s that she had never attained before, they were looking at a true survivor and, therefore, an inspiration for people going through tough times because Marie had been through them all herself, and then some.

marie-dressler-5.jpg

• Like 1

Marie Dressler was a great star. She was a star on stage, a star in silent films, and one of the biggest stars of the early talkie era. Not only was Dressler a fabulous comedienne, she could sing, and she was never afraid to poke fun at herself. She was also a terrific dramatic actress. She was lucky in the late 20s (her comeback) and early 30s to work with some very big stars in some very big films. Dinner at Eight, Hollywood Revue of 1929, Min and Bill, Anna Christie, Tugboat Annie, The Patsy, Let Us Be Gay, The Divine Lady, The Girl Said No were all hits. Her teaming with Polly Moran in Dangerous Females, Reducing, Politics, Prosperity showcased her as a star. Emma won her a second Oscar nomination. During this time she worked with Greta Garbo, Wallace Beery, Myrna Loy, Marion Davies, William Haines, Bessie Love, Norma Shearer, Corinne Griffith, Anita Page, Jean Harlow, Lionel Barrymore, and even Rudy Vallee. Earlier in her silent films she worked with Charlie Chaplin, Mabel Normand, and Johnny Hines.

Dressler was sort of the ultimate underdog and audiences responded. She was a superb talent.

• Like 3

The last few moments of Min and Bill, the confrontation between Min, her daughter and an iron :lol: are one of my top ten moments in classic film. The first time I saw it, I never forgot it.

It was one of the first films I had seen on TCM when I was just learning about classic film. Its one of the reasons I got hooked on TCM. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings