Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

• 1 month later...

Robert Ryan ought to be showcased again on TCM. Lonelyhearts was shown in October. The film was widely considered to be a worthy melodrama when it was shown in 1958. In the New York Times on March 5, 1959, esteemed film critic Bosley Crowther called the film "A clearly sincere endeavor to say something moving and profound about the danger of too-quick moral judgments and the virtue of loving thy fellow man is soberly made in Dore Schary's first independent film...Robert Ryan is compelling throughout the better part of the film."

A few days later, Crowther felt strongly enough about the film to comment on it again on March 8, 1959. "The authenticity of the ills of the characters are evidenced most impressively by Robert Ryan and Montomery Clift...Mr. Ryan is superbly diabolic in a smirking, insinuating way."

Lonelyhearts is one of those intense, independent films that one should see alone on a cloudy, rainy day to truly appreciate it. Clift's performance was also superb in the film, as was everybody else.

When writing Ryan's biography, I was able to fully delve into the complex actor's life in a way that changed mine. I watch his films for the pleasure of seeing acting at its finest. I even watch the ones that weren't that good just to see him. Unfortunately (or maybe not), Ryan didn't have the ambition like colleagues Mitchum, Douglas and Lancaster, which is the reason he didn't land more involved parts. He was satisfied to have the lesser part in a film, which meant that he wouldn't be seen that much in the film. The Wild Bunch is a good example since his time on screen was significantly less than co-stars Holden, Borgnine, Oates, Johnson, Sanchez, etc. In The Professionals, there was a snippet of Ryan genius at the film's beginning when he rescues a horse from being beaten by an angry cowhand. Just when I thought that Ryan was going to finally get his chance next to Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, and Jack Palance, he ended up in an almost embarrassing portrait. Even Director Phillip Dunne commented to me that he was very disappointed with The Professionals. Ryan was also used to poor effect a year later in The Dirty Dozen, as were Borgnine, George Kennedy.

Lonelyhearts, in the end, is a film that one remembers after seeing it.

I'm guessing that the two responders were going by the title of the thread rather than the intent of the original poster. Though the OP was asking about the music of the promo; the responses of "Leslie Caron" and "Robert Ryan" are suggestions for future Stars of the Month.

Bewildering, eh?

Yeah. Bewildering is exactly the word.

After reading the first response, I thought "Well, okay. I had no idea Leslie Caron was so talented as to write and perform that music....but whatever! Perhaps I just don't know enough about Leslie Caron!"

But then, the second response...well, that one made me wonder if I was going stark raving mad. Totally twilight zone.

*sigh*

I mean, the point of having threads is that, well...there is supposed to be sort of a topic that you can follow and all.

*lol*

(*lol*) Actually, "Caron and Ryan" collaborated to compose many great musical works. It is sheer historical accident that music teams such as "Rogers and Hammerstein" are household phrases, while the Caron-Ryan team has faded into obscurity. ;)

"I mean, the point of having threads is that, well...there is supposed to be sort of a topic that you can follow and all."

I gave up on that when my thread on the present level of classic film popularity devolved into one about rape and murder in today's society...

And that's been the problem with too many threads lately. It's one thing to misunderstand the intent (as happened here) or even get off on a related topic but when they get to what you describe it is confusing and unfortunate. Many a good thread has been lost.

Hopefully societal and political ills and even ill feelings among posters can be the domain of threads set up for that and private messaging.

Now, I am confused...

Are we talking about the TCM advertisement with the balloons?

Man, I thought the music was "The Crusaders", or somebody similar. You know, the soul-full sounds of some seventies (nineteen) pop music band. No?

Rusty