Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now I wonder what tomorrow's daytime theme will be?

slaytonf

Golly, there are so many different movies of so many different sorts.  There just doesn't seem to be any unifying element. . . . .

Aw, gee, you knew I wuz jus kiddin.

Course, James Cagney is the theme for tomorrow.  But, you blink in astonishment, what's the occasion?  It's not his birthday, isit?  Or the anniversary of his death?  Maybe his graduation?

Well, James Cagney needs no occasion to be featured.  And in tomorrow's case, there's a lot that's interesting in the feature.  Many of the movies on are not familiar to me.  They may have been on before, but I don't remember.  I'm looking forward to:

The Millionaire (1931) with my favorite British institution, George Arliss, and what appears to be his wife, Florence.

He Was Her Man (1934), one of his lesser-known pairings with Joan Blondell.

Jimmy the Gent (1934), the forgotten one of the two he made with Miss Bette Davis.

The St. Louis Kid (1935), for which I have no interesting comment.

Devil Dogs of the Air (1935), another in the venerable series of military-men-going-after-the-same-woman movie.

Of the ones I know, I'd recommend, ummm--Sinner's Holiday (1930), not because it's so good (and not that it's bad), but because it also has also Joanie in it, too, and Evalyn Knapp (misspelled in the monthly guide).  And also becasuse it has some good pre code-enforcement grittiness in it.  The Crowd Roars (1932) has Ann Dvorak init, and Joanie, again.  Hm, you'd almost think she was the feature of the day.  Hard to Handle (1933) shows Jimmy could handle the fast talkie spiel as wall as the best of em.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings