Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As the temperatures here in the Northeast begin to drop, I think about watching wintery movies. I Love old Christmas movies and any with good snowy scenery in them.

My favorite is "The Bishop's Wife".

Please tell me some of your favorites.

:-)

I'm from Michigan, and we get a lot of snow here. It's always good to sit home on a snowy day and watch a winter-themed film. Some of my favorites:

"Christmas in Connecticut," starring Barbara Stanwyck.

"Winter Meeting," starring Bette Davis.

"Sadie McKee," starring Joan Crawford (has a beautiful snowy scene outside of a hospital window).

as winter rolls around, i always have my list of films i must go through to celebrate the season... i know it may sound silly, but my dad and i cannot go a Christmas without watching home alone. has to be one of my favorite Christmas movies, but here are some more (may or may not have snow):

it's a wonderful life

while you were sleeping

the shop around the corner

going my way

penny serenade

you've got mail

rudolph, the red nosed reindeer (original claymation)

frosty, the snow man (original cartoon)

and who can forget charlie brown? is it linus who makes the speech at the end? it always moves me to tears...

i know there are more, i just can't think of them.

special i would love to see if someone would play it!:

the raisins' christmas special

"Island in The Sky" with John Wayne. When a guy walks around and around in a circle and dies twenty feet from where the shelter is because of a blinding snow storm and he can't see one foot in front of himself . Also "The Thing From Outer Space" when Jim Arness escapes and kills the huskies in the snowstorm at night. Pretty cold facts from both movies.

aftermath

Two Howrd Keels, and one Dolly Parton:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, (1) when the brothers are singing, 'I'm a Lonsome polecat', (2) driving through town, and the pass with the Brides.

Smoky Mountain Christmas with Dolly Parton, sappy little movie where she finds 6 orphans and takes care of them with the help of Lee Majors, but its a fun family movie for Christmas time and some beautiful scenes of a log cabin up in the hills during a snowfall.

Ps: I forgot the final scene in White Christmas when they pull the doors open to reveal the snow.

Message was edited by:

heidigunn

If you like musicals, even if you don't, you have to watch 7 for 7 from start to finish, at least TCM shows the letterbox version and makes it worth the while.

'Smokey Mountain Christmas' came out sometime in the 70's, If you saw the one where she was the angel, I think it was the next year. She isn't a great actress by any means, but she was very good in 'Steel Magnolias'. When she's playing a part close to herself, she can be very entertaining like 'Straight Talk', and I loved her in 'The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas'. Think I'm maybe a Parton fan?

You mentioned 'Unfinished Life' on another thread,I had mentioned that same movie on that thread a couple of months back.

I really liked that movie and felt like the casting was perfect,not to mention, the directing,etc.

Jennifer Lopez is a very good actress.

I don't consider "White Christmas" a snow movie. The only time you see snow is the last 30 seconds of the movies when Bing and Danny etc. are singing "White Christmas" and they open up the sliding doors to show it just started snowing. The four movies I mentioned before "The Thing From Outer Space" - "Island In the Sky" - "The Red Tent" and Ice Station Zebra are about survival in the elements. The movie "White Christmas is "Fluff". Even Sylvester Stallone's movie "Cliffhanger" had more snow!

aftermath

I love "A Smokey Mountain Christmas" too...it's become one of my traditional Christmas movies...actually, it's from '86 and was directed by Henry Winkler!

I'm a big fan of Dolly Parton. I recently bought a (used) VHS copy of "9 To 5." I'd forgotten how much fun that movie was... and Dolly, Jane and Lily were terrific.

Stardrops - Congratulations on your great taste! I love, love, love this movie. Call me a cornball, but I just love it. I'm so glad someone else likes the "Bishop's Wife." I especially love the skating scene. James Gleason is really fun in this movie, Cary Grant ethereal (sometimes he really makes be believe he IS an angel) and Loretta Young luminous. David Niven is really good as the grumpy bishop and Gladys Cooper her usual pompous (but I love her) self as the rich old woman. Not to mention Edmund Gwenn as the professor. Did I miss anyone? Boy, I wish they still made them like this - pure fantasy. Takes me back to my childhood. I bought a copy and watch it at least once every month or so.

Peggy24 said:

Boy, I wish they still made them like this - pure fantasy. Takes me back to my childhood.

actually, speaking of this film... didn't they make a revamp of this favorite? the preacher's wife i believe they called it. oh, gosh... why can't i remember the name of the guy who played grant's role! it's on the tip of my tongue... Denzel Washington! that's it!

Aftermath:

I like 'fluff' movies, that's one of the reasons I watch TCM, most of their movies are fluff, or used to be. I only mentioned White Christmas as an afterthought; and if you look, you'll see I added it as a P.S. The whole point of 'White Christmas' was the irony of there being no snow in Vermont at Christmas time, and the final scene with the beautiful snow coming down was a lovely finale to the movie.

Not to mention Edmund Gwenn as the professor. Did I miss anyone?

Actually, Peggy24, it was Monty Wooley who played the professor. And you missed Elsa Lanchester as Matilda, Sara Haden as Mildred Cassaway and Regis Toomey as Rev. Miller.

I couldn't agree with you more about this movie. It's one of my favorite Cary Grant movies. I always get goosebumps when Dudley is conducting the boy's choir and the sound just swells as more and more boys enter and take their respective places. And James Gleason is a hoot as Sylvester. This is not only a good Christmas movie, but a good "anytime" movie.

CharlieT