Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jack's Snow Movies:

There was a wonderful Dutch movie, back in the 1980's, called Pervola, sporen in de sneeuw (aka Tracks in the Snow), wherein two brothers must make a long trek (through the snow) to get to their father who'd recently died.

The enchanting scene at the "ice palace" in Dr. Zhivago.

The oppressive snow that imprisons the family in The Shining. The boy's only escape is through the maze of white...

The snowball fights, and the awesome moment of the peacock proudly displaying its finery in the snow in Fellini's Amarcord.

The first time I'd ever heard of being "snow blind" was when my father explained it to me while watching a revival of Capra's Lost Horizon. Lost in the snow and finding Shangri-La...

My newest holiday tradition is seeing The Polar Express at the local IMAX theatre. To see that snow drifting in 3-D, on that massive screen... it's hypnotic. I've seen it the past two seasons, and am looking forward to this December's return.

I'm astonished when people say they only watch color movies. How can anyone not appreciate the black and white beauty of the Le Notti Bianche, as the snow falls on handsome Marcello Mastroianni and winsome Maria Schell?

> Aftermath:

>

> I like 'fluff' movies, that's one of the reasons I

> watch TCM, most of their movies are fluff, or used

> to be. I only mentioned White Christmas as

> an afterthought; and if you look, you'll see I added

> it as a P.S. The whole point of 'White

> Christmas' was the irony of there being no

> snow in Vermont at Christmas time, and the final

> scene with the beautiful snow coming down was a

> lovely finale to the movie.

I didn't mean the movie was fluff I meant the snow was "Fluffy" :)

Jack,

Thanks for reminding me of Mastrioanni and Schell in Le Notti Bianche. It's lovely and I originally saw it on TCM.

Here's some of my most memorable snow movies:

The Mortal Storm (1940), especially during that gentle snowfall during the coda at the end when Robert Stack & (i think) William Orr discuss their understanding that their sister Freya (Margaret Sullavan) is beyond being hurt now. And, of course when the final scene shows the steps through the fresh snowfall up to the door of the now shattered family home. Unforgettable.

Those Calloways (1965): with Brian Keith, Brandon De Wilde, Vera Miles and a young and very lovely Linda Evans trying to eke out a living in Maine during the gloriously beautiful Autumn and the unforgiving and bleakly beautiful Winter---all while pursuing the novel idea of respecting nature. As a Disney film, it may seem cornball to many, but it's one of my favorite kid movies.

Heidi (1938): while I'm lingering on kid flicks, this heartbreaker with Jean Hersholt &, of course, Shirley Temple takes the cake for heart-strings being tugged, especially during the scenes when Grandfather is wandering the snowy streets of the city looking for Heidi. *Sniff sniff*. I get choked up just thinking of it!

The Winter Guest (1997): directed by Alan Rickman, this gentle movie depicts four stories on one of the coldest days in memory in a bleak Scottish coastal town. It makes one cold to think of it, though Emma Thompson & Thompson's mother, Phyllida Law do an admirable job making your spirit melt with their excellent performances.

Has anyone mentioned Track of the Cat (1954)? William Wellman & cinematographer William Clothier's interesting study in a color film drained of almost all vivid hues, except for bright red, varieties of black, and, of course, miles of white snow depicts a rugged physical and psychological landscape as the main characters pursue an elusive cougar.

It's a really interesting technical and dramatic device and actually gave William Hopper, (best known as Paul Drake on Perry Mason), as one of the brothers & Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer one heck of an interesting odd ball role as an old Indian. The interaction of the characters, led by Robert Mitchum doing one of his better turns as a ****, could've been lifted out of a Eugene O'Neill story as the bleakness of the winter climate mirrors the souls of this family.

Looked pretty white to me. Did "Snow" actually mean classic? The original post by Stardrops just mentioned "wintery scenes." The 3 I added all qualify under that description.

No big deal. Just ignore the post if it doesn't fit your interpretation of the thread theme.

CharlieT

Wasn't serious, just kinda emotionally flat... just the way some of the responses should read. Too many try to read extra meaning into the written words of others. Not offended, not angry - just passing on information.

CT

No sweat Charlie T! How about two more frigid snow movies? One old and one on the new side? The first is 1957's "The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas". The second is 1980 - "The Empire Strikes Back". Who can forget the scene when Hans Solo rips out the intestines of the Camel like creature that died in the Snow storm and "Stuffs" Luke Skywalker in it to keep him warm?