Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming Challenge "Get Out The Vote" Thread

Hello All -

Here's the TCM Programming Challenge "Get Out The Vote" pitch.

The most recent TCM Prgramming Challenge has just concluded and, again, we have six exceptional weeks of programming for TCM on which we get to vote as our favorite.

As before, in this edition of the TCM Programming Challenge, the Challengers were asked to program a week of films for TCM. In addition to a Star Of The Month selection and other TCM Showcases, Challengers were asked to include an evening spotlighting a beloved "film series" or franchise film (a la "The Hardy Family", "Dr. Kildare", "Tarzan", etc.) during their week of TCM. There was carte blanche on selecting a series to highlight.

As an added event for this Challenge, each Challenger was to host a Guest Programmer (a fellow Board Member) for one night during their week who would select some of "their favorite films from the TCM Library".

Below are links to each of the Challenger's schedules. Alot of time, thought & effort - if not blood, sweat & tears or joy, love & happiness - went into each of these weekly schedules. And I bet the same could be said for the Guest Programmers evenings too. Now is the time to give these talented folks the recognition they have earned and deserve. Please give your fellow Board Members a few minutes of your time and select a week as your favorite and vote in this thread.

Here are the schedules in "Another TCM Programming Challenge"

MattHelm's Schedule with Guest Programmer "jarhfive".

allieharding's Schedule with Guest Programmer "timelessjoancrawford".

sugarpuss' Schedule with Guest Programmer "mrsl".

movieman1957's Schedule with Guest Programmer "inglis".

filmlover's Schedule with Guest Programmer "GarboManiac"

lzcutter's Schedule with Guest Programmer "moirafinnie6"

Voting ends at Midnight (Pacific Time) Sunday, October 15th.

If you are hesitant on announcing your vote publically, you can Private Message your selection to me (hlywdkjk) and I will duly note it for the final tally. The Challenger who receives the most votes for their week of TCM Programming will have the honor of organizing and moderating the next TCM Programming Challenge.

And I want to announce at the outset that I will only vote in this Challenge in the case of a tie.

So, friends, take a few minutes and show some love to these talented board members. Don't make me fill your mailboxes with candidate fliers or call you during dinner time with pre-recorded messages begging you to vote. (It is election season, ya know!)

Kyle In Hollywood

Congratulations to everyone who participating in this (the third) TCM programming challenge. Each of your entries is terrific and exhibit not just your love (and knowledge) of classic movies, but also your dedication to making this channel as good as it can be for the film-lovers who receive it.

All of the submissions are outstanding; you've done yourselves proud. Lynn's entry reads like a "history of film" primer, MattHelm's exceeds the high standard he'd set for himself (which earned my vote) last time, but my vote has to go to first time participant movieman for the same reasons that I voted for filmlover in my inaugural challenge - I'd break my Tivo and/or VCR if tcmprogrammer ever chose to air it in its entirety.

Congratulations again and good luck, though I'm sure you've gotten a sense that just participating is its own reward!

Message was edited by:

path40a

I LOVE LOVE LOVE lzcutter's challenge response. I would record every single thing that week except for the "Hollywood" series, and that only because I own it already.

lzcutter gets my vote.

I must add that this is based soley on personal taste. I was torn about whether or not the week should be something that TCM could actually program rather than my personal favorites. If that were the case, I would have voted for my runner-up suparpuss. It was a real close call.

Well I said I'd participate, But work and life seemed to sneak up and kill me with a lot of projects. But enough of my excuses. I read all the entries and LOVE Them all. I hope a percentage of these films make TCM. But I'm bias to "allieharding's Schedule". I think it's the Joan Blondell, Ann Harding films that pushed me over.

Great,Great job from all of you involved.

vallo

Well, this is very difficult. I have looked closely at all the schedules, and I am very impressed by all the ideas. Everybody has put something in I like. Having to make an ultimate decision, I got stuck between my final two choices, lzcutter and matthelm.

lzcutter's entire week is so very intelligently put together, a really terrifc week for a film historian. And matthelm's schedule was filled with lots of nice touches, including the radio day of Green Hornet episodes, Boston **** movies, etc. He really put a lot of fun in the week.

I still feel torn in half. I would love it if I could vote for both of them, but I am not allowed to, so I choose...MattHelm. His GH/BB day did me in.

To JonParker, vallo13 and path40a (miss ya, man) -

Thanks for participating in the democratic (small 'd') process of "Another TCM Programming Challenge".

JonParker and vallo13, you seem to be interested in throwing your lot with the rest of the Challengers one of these days. I am going to make it my personal crusade to get each of you to participate in a future Challenge. I can't think of two other people who could post a week of TCM Programming of their own creation that would excite me more. I am happy to hear that participating "looks like fun" because it really is a great time. So, be aware (but not afraid!), I can be a very persistent lobbyist.

And path40a, thanks for taking the time to vote in this Challenge today. I was thrilled to see you had logged in to do so. I want to see you around here more often real soon. OK? 'Nuff Said.

Kyle In Hollywood

(Ooops. Originally osted this to the wrong thread. kjk)

All of the challenges were good. They all had elements to which I was attracted. movieman had Laurel and Hardy, The Barrymores, and Camille; sugarpuss had The Lunts, They Met In Bombay, Roberta, and Bankhead; lzcutter had Valentino, John Gilbert, Hollywood days, Harlow, Garbo, and Dietrich, along with Bankhead; allie had Phantom of Crestwood, Ann Harding, and Billie Burke; MattHelm had The Killers, Hedy (not Heddy), Ma & Pa Kettle, and Bankhead; and several of you had Ninotchka!

But, filmlover gets my vote for a multitude of reasons, four of them being the films I chose! Ha! But, seriously, he had a British day, and I love British cinema. Korda is my favorite British director with his Big Ben logo. And, he started British day with George Arliss who I think is a ?forgotten man.? I never see enough of him. He also had a whole day of Olivier! There are two actresses to whom Garbo is compared, Duse and Berhardt. There were three Berhardt shorts (one of them Camille). Then he had the desert films and Ellery Queen! On top of that he had time travel, which absolutely fascinates me. He had five of Fairbanks? swashbucklers, and to top it off, Prisoner of Zenda with Coleman and Carroll.

I have to admit that as much as I enjoyed everyone?s entries, filmlover stimulated my senses more with his choices, and along with Lynn, he had the best organization, which made it easy to read and follow. Thanks filmlover, and thanks for making me a part of your contribution.

GM, thanks so very much. I am so glad you were able to work on this schedule as Guest Programmer. And as for what I scheduled, I just tried to put in so much of what I wanted to see. The way you have summed it up made me realize I really did have a lot more in there than I realized.

It is Friday and only four people have taken the time to vote so far in this "Get Out The Vote" thread. (I have received a fifth vote by Private Message.) Did everyone go out of town for the Columbus Day holiday? Or has the chaos and anarchy of the past few weeks driven away more people that I realize?

It has been a quiet time around here lately but I also know there are more of you logging in to check out the Boards than are posting these days. So if you have only been lurking around lately with little to say, why not take a few minutes to assess the work of our participants. Please help choose a favorite.week of programming for TCM as created by our six friends and their Guest Programmers(Guest Programmers, you are free to vote too.) and post your vote in this thread.

All registered Board Members are eligible to vote and voting ends this Sunday at Midnight, Pacific time. If you are hesitant to announce your favorite in this thread, feel free to Private Message me your selection and I will include it in the final tally.

Thanks!

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Kyle,

Actually, so far, I count five in the thread here, not four. path40a, jonparker, vallo13, garbomaniac, and me. But you are right, time to get more votes in. And from the people who participated, too. That would account for 12 votes right there.

There were almost 4,000 views of the Challenge itself while it was going on. There must have been a few people who were interested.

filmlover

Thanks filmlover for posting the correct vote count in the thread. We can add itsart2too2 to the list and I have received another Private Message vote. So that makes seven votes cast so far.

I know some folks are waiting until the weekend but I wanted to give a bit of a nudge to the voting today as I think there are some regulars who log in only during the week. (Killing time at the office?) and I didn't want the opportunity to vote to pass without a gentle reminder.

Clicking on the "First Post" link at the top of this thread leads to the post where you can access each of the amazing weeks created by our friends.

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far. Much Appreciated!

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk

After much stressing and rereading and thinking and rereading and thinking I have come to vote my heart for my favorite schedule. sugarpuss gets one from me. Congratulations again to those who posted a schedule. I know you put a lot of time into your work. They were clever and thoughtful. Good luck. I hope you all get a chance to have part of your schedules show up some night.

I hope everyone will take a few minutes and go through the schedules and vote.

Message was edited by:

Me. Because Garbomaniac helped me out. Thanks.

First, I have to apologize for going MIA and not commenting on the schedules that have been included after my last post in the Challenge thread. I told Kyle at the start (which I stumbled upon belatedly thanks to his heads up in a PM he sent me), that I would be very busy and would try to contribute to the Challenge. I had a lot of work to finish up before going on a Roman Holiday and worked hard to sneak mine in early. So, seeing how I'd have to write a book about how much I loved everyone's schedules, I'll have to just cut to the chase.

I was so torn between everyone's schedules that I planned on having a cockroach race with numbers painted on their backs, that corresponded to each respective Challenger (I'm in Florida, so they're big enough to paint numbers on), and go with which ever one won. However, my girlfriend stopped by and sprayed Raid on them. She killed us all, guest programmers included.

So, while everyone's schedules had something I loved about them, I have to choose lzcutter. For the same reason I chose path last time, lzcutter's schedule shows that she has not only a passion for film, but for the art of filmmaking. Her programming is like Film 101, with its mix of behind-the-scenes and the early years of film. We could all learn something watching her picks for the Challenge. That goes for her guest programmer moirafinnie6 too, who is equally responsible for my choosing lzutter's extravaganza. And many kudos to Lynn for programming great serials ... another reason for my choosing her. Also, I was going to choose The Big Heat for my own list but didn't know if it was ever shown on TCM before, so didn't go with it. I'm not a huge Glenn Ford fan, but I love that movie ... I think I was a boyfriend of Gloria Grahame's in another life.

Thanks filmlover for your vote, maybe TCM will look into the Boston **** movies. I loved your Saturday matinee program, that's one of the reasons I suggested the serials in another thread called "The 40s Cinema," so that TCM would maybe model their Saturday programming after that of the theaters in the 40s with serials, cartoons, a serious feature, a Three Stooges short, and a sci-fi or horror B-movie. That's how I tried to design my Saturdays in the Challenges.

Thanks also to everyone who participated.

And if guest programmers were a separate category, I'd vote for that jarhfive guy. What's his name ... Rushdie?

MattHelm -

Thanks for checking in and casting a vote for your favorite schedule.

Your absence around here has been felt. Hope we can look forward to seeing you more often real soon.

A Roman Holiday, huh? If the girlfriend is Audrey Hepburn, are you Gregory Peck or Eddie Albert?

Kyle In Hollywood

The girlfriend is more like a Dorothy Dandridge. But I didn't take her to Rome with me ... bringing a girlfriend to Rome is like going to China with a sack of rice. I stopped over in Dublin to pick up a friend of mine who went on with me to Rome. Now I don't know what movie to compare it to.