Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programming Challenge "Get Out The Vote" Thread

Basically, you nailed it. It was two coins in the fountain and the wishes never came true. I was hoping for more of an 81/2 toga clad with fedora and whip scene. We met a dead ringer for Anthony Quinn who approached us as we were hailing a cab to get to the Via Veneto. He told us, "Me from Milano, we go to club." It wasn't a question, it was a statement. We told him we had to meet people across town and grabbed a cab. He gave us a dirty look as we left him. Later on that night, while we were staggering along across town looking for a cab to get back to our hotel, we stopped in front of a cafe, and there in the window was the same Anthony Quinn guy giving us the evil eye. It was more like an episode of Seinfeld rather than a movie.

Saturday Evening -

There is still a day or so left to vote on a favorite week of TCM Programming created by our fellow Board Members. If you around here on a Saturday Night, what better way to spend it than reading some truly inspired and enlightening schedules of films for a week of TCM and then selecting one as your favorite.

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far -

filmlover

vallo13

movieman1957

path40a

GarboManiac

JonParker

MattHelm

itsart2too2

RhuieFrancis

and the two Private Message voters that have contacted me.

You all are exceptional members of these boards and I appreciate the parts you have played in making this a successful Challenge so far.

For those keeping track of these things -

I have received one Private Message vote for allieharding's schedule

and one Private Message vote for MattHelm's schedule.

Please give a look to the work of our friends and vote. (Click on the "First Post" link in the blue bar at the top of this thread.) Then you can go back over to bobhopefan1940's film chain game. I'll be there soon.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle,

This has been a really hard decision to make. Everyone's schedules are great. Choosing just one is not an easy choice.

But, since it has to be done, I'm casting my vote for Sugarpuss. My TIVO would be going 24/7 that week and the by the numbers theme was great.

Wow, I even voted with hours to spare this time!

I hope that all the great ideas contributed by the challenge's participants find their way into TCM's programming. Since I'd like to see the "Hollywood" series from Brownlow & friends and I really like the early talkies featured, I'll have to vote for lzcutter's week. Thanks for putting this together & many thanks to everyone for bringing new ideas for personal theme days on my dvd/vcr combo in the future.

lzcutter -

What a surprise to see you casting your vote so early! It has me wondering if someone else hasn't taken to posting under your name. (kidding) It is a nice break with tradition. Thanks.

pilgrimsoul - (Is that from W B Yates?)

Thanks for participating in this aspect of the TCM Programming Challenge and casting a vote for your favorite week of films. I truly appreciate your taking the time to do so.

And I want to announce that I have received another Private Message vote - this time a vote for lzcutter.

There are a few hours left to cast a vote on the work of the Board Members who participated in this edition of the TCM Programming Challenge. If you have been waiting to do so, now would be a good time to do it. Click on the the "First Post" link at the top of this thread to get started.

Thanks, friends.

Kyle In Hollywood

Wow, it is beginning to look like lzcutter will win the crown for the 2nd time. (And me, I am becoming the Susan Lucci of the TCM Challenge, lol.) Way to go, it was definitely a great schedule.

The rest of us are hoping election districts will win rather than votes, and the one with the least votes gets to run everything, lol.

Again the competition is fierce since all 6 entries are hard to beat, and hard to choose from.

Congratulations to those that participated, the schedules were top notch. A job well done.

The schedule that impressed me the most consisted of the films of Steinbeck, a Green Hornet serial, Doris Day's birthday bash, the hilarious 'Ma & Pa Kettle' movies, star of the month Ida Lupino, and The Sirens of Scopitone with many of my favorite recording artists, etc.

My vote goes to Matt Helm.

Mongo

filmlover -

Alas, there isn't an Electoral College - type of system in place to throw the Challenge voting into the courts (Thank Goodness!) Maybe in the next Challenge we can experiment with a weighted voting system. (Pick the three schedules one likes best and give them 3 / 2 / 1 votes. I hear that is how things work in local elections in some cities.)

My Friend. Don't be sad or frustrated. I really think you are gem around here and Challenge voting is far from the an honest display of your worth and value to these forums. Not to me or anyone else, I am sure.

So, in my capacity as moderator, I, hlywdkjk, am exercising my privilege of declaring you "Mr. Congeniality" for this Challenge; awarded to the person who has been the most helpful and energetic to ensuring the success on "Another TCM Programming Challenge". And for that I am truly grateful.

Cheers!

Kyle In Hollywood

mongo -

Thanks so much for taking the time to review the work of our friends and complimenting their efforts. I agree whole-heartedly that this competition was 'fierce'. I truly appreciate your participating in the voting part of the Challenge. One always like some recognition for their hard work.

Thanks again.

Kyle In Hollywood

The minutes are ticking away to vote for your favorite schedule in "Another TCM Programming Challenge" so all you procrastinators should head over to the first post in this thread to assess the Challengers' efforts. Voting ends at midnight (Pacific Time) tonight. I'll appreciate it and so will all the Challengers.

And I have received another Private Message vote in the Challenge -

for movieman1957.

Thanks to all!

Kyle In Hollywood

It is almost midnight and I am turning into a pumpkin shortly. So I am starting to compose this before 12 but probably won't have it up 'til afterwards so if it is time-stamped earier than midnight, believe me that I checked the thread for any last minute votes before posting this.

"Another TCM Programming Challenge" has ended and I want to offer up my sincerest thanks and gratitude to you all for taking part in this third Challenge. That goes to each Guest Programmer and to each of the week-long Challengers. I didn't know if the Guest Programmer idea would work out but you all took to it like the proverbial fish in water. I guess 'swimmingly' is the word I am looking for.

All of you excelled so well and put up amazing weeks of TCM programming. They are all definitely broadcast-worthy and something of which you should be proud. And that makes me a proud moderator. It was my desire to allow you all to be as creative as possible and I don't think even I had an inkling as to how outstanding your creations would be. Well Done!

Now to the accounting...

There have been 19 votes cast for a favorite schedule in this Challenge. 14 votes directly to this thread and an additional 5 Private Message votes that I have posted as they came in. As I calculate it, the votes break down this way -

sugarpuss -

2 + 1 PM vote = 3 votes

allieharding -

1 + 1 PM = 2 votes

filmlover -

1 vote (but winner of the title of Mr Congeniality. Tho it may sound like a joke, I truly appreciate all that you did to help make this Challenge a success.)

Movieman1957 -

3 + 1 PM vote = 4 votes

MattHelm -

3 + 1 PM vote = 4 votes

and the Challenger with the largest number of votes is

lzcutter -

4 + 1 PM vote = 5 votes

And so lzcutter once agan has the opportunity to moderate an upcoming TCM Programming Challenge if she so chooses. Congratulations Lynn! (I am going to think of next month's John Ford tribute as your reward for your schedule. I know you must be excited.)

When we do this again, I hope to see all of you involved once more - and that includes getting the Guest Programmers to try creating a full week of their own, having our new Challengers Movieman1957 and sugarpuss return and I am personally keeping my eye out for the particiaption of JonParker and vallo13. (I warned you both!)

"Great Job" to you All!

Kyle (the pumpkin) In Hollywood

Congratulations Lynn. You are a very deserving winner. Congratulations also to each of my co-schedulers. You each had great schedules and I am quite lucky to be part of this group. Each of you were wonderfully inventive and it is obvious that even though this was for fun you took the task quite seriously.

Thanks to those who voted for me (and inglis). I thought I'd be really lucky if I got one vote. I'm grateful for the nice things said about my schedule.

Thanks to all who voted. It takes time to read and ponder all that information and I appreciate your efforts.

Once again Kyle, thanks for your help to me, your encouragement to all and your active participation in making this as good as it could be. And finally, I did have fun.

Kyle, you did an outstanding job hosting this challenge. Congratulations to all the participants (but especially the first timers); your schedules were terrific and your hard work was appreciated by all. Special kudos to Lynn, winning for the second time. The future of the challenge is in good hands. Thanks again!

Congratulations, Lynn. Job well done.

Hmmm, is it just coincidence that effective now you will be heading up the next Challenge, and next month sees a special release of the classic film "She" (Who Must Be Obeyed), lol?

Anyway, congrats.

Congratulations Lynn! (I am going to think of next month's John Ford tribute as your reward for your schedule. I know you must be excited.)>>

Thanks Kyle,

I am very excited about the John Ford tribute next month. Even the Bogdanovich doc where Ford basically responds to the questions with one or two words.

As for winning, I must confess that I am stunned. I thought for sure that my week would be perceived as too educational and too esoteric, especially given all the talk on this board about TCM needing to show less documentaries and that people don't watch TCM to learn about film but to enjoy the movies.

I'm thinking that posters really want to see "Hollywood" again which I hope that TCM will show when the DVDs are released later next year.

In addition, I hope that TCM does give some thought to my two original docs. Especially the one on Film Preservation and Restoration. I think many of the posts here, especially of late, show an interest and need for this for very subject.

That said, while I appreciate the kudos and the votes, I would like to respectfully decline the honor of moderating the next Challenge. I won the first Challenge earlier this year and moderated the second. I would very much like to pass that baton to one of the very capable runners up.

Again, thanks to all who liked my schedule, thanks to Moirafinnie6 for her excellent guest programming and thanks to Kyle for moderating this Challenge in these difficult times.

I hope all the Challengers will join me in participating in the next Challenge. And I look forward to finding out who the capable moderator of the next Challenge shall be.

Lynn

Well, Lynn has abdicated. (The Queen and Mr Simpson?) So we are in need of a moderator for another Challenge.

There are two Challengers with four votes each - MattHelm and Movieman1957. If either of you are capable and willing to moderate a new Challenge, how about taking the reins this time.

I am off to work so you all will have to work this out without me. I look forward to finding out the name of the new moderator when I return this evening.

Both of you will be great Hosts. I have confidence in whoever gets the honor.

Kyle In Hollywood

MattHelm:

If you are willing, please accept the host duties with my respects and thanks, I'm not sure I have the technical ability or the overall knowledge to do it justice. I know you do. If I can be of assistance I will help however I can.