Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News today that Gregory Peck, whose roles incorporated so many decent American values, died at home last night while holding the hand of his wife of 45 years, Veronique. Like the best of his acting, his death was simple and dignified.

Intelligence and compassion marked his most memorable roles, most notably as Atticus Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird"--but I think that I shall always remember him most fondly for the silent moments at the end of "Roman Holiday". As he strode out of the splendid Roman hall and out of Audrey Hepburn's life, his face expressed regret, amusement, wistfulness and peace. For an actor noted for his sonorous voice, this quiet sequence revealed his ability to "be" a character. He was often criticized for his supposed limitations, but he was a lovely actor, in the classic mold.

Do you have a favorite Gregory Peck role?

It's funny though that we seldom mentioned Gregory Peck on the boards except to praise him for "To Kill a Mockingbird" or criticized him for "Duel in the Sun".

Actually he was quite a versatile actor playing a mad sea captain, a gunfighter, an evil Nazi, a compassionate priest, a poor farmer, a businessman, a lawyer, a gambler

and so many other roles.

He was indeed one of Hollywood's best actors and will be remembered also for his compassion to the human race.

Mongo

My favorite Peck roles: Phil Green in "Gentleman's Agreement", Keith Mallory in "The Guns of Naverone" and his WONDERFUL portrayal of Captain Ahab in "Moby Dick". Who can forget him extinguishing "the last doubt" as he destroys St. Elmo's Fire by grasping the apex of the 3 harpoons?

To moirafinnie12, you beat me to the punch on this legendary heavyweight & his demise! (NOTE: Check out my story as well/some trivia,etc & his noms.) TCM's R. 0sborne however messed-up a bit on (1) of the shows when interviewed briefly about *Peck? Stating every role he ever played, you still liked the character. What about '78's "Boys from Brazil?" & although *Lord 0livier-(1907-89) won his (10th) & final OSCAR nom. for-it. I thought *Gregory was also superb & very similar in that they cast him against type, like Captain Ahab! Many may not know this trivia either? In those grand ol' Studio-System days they generally not only gave you the nxt. project & It's well-known about name changes. His birth name: Eldred G. Peck! & one of his jobs before 1944,etc Was as a soda jerk/usher,etc & another role of which was not very likeable as Osbo claimed? "Duel in the Sun" '46-(one of Scorsese's favs.) But to most he will always be Atticus Finch!!! My per. pick as his finest acting hour-barely though "12 0'Clock High" & then "The Gunfighter"

By the way, the 1970's tv-series "Ba Ba Black Sheep," actually got it's main inspiration from the former WW11 movie. The song the men sing in the canteen on the base/listen' nxt. time & you'll see! & as I noted on other post. He was another in a massive list of either actors, filmmakers,etc That without taking a breath, say *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" was & Is the finest motion picture actor ever. Not stage. That honor would/must go to *Olivier! Whom remembers '91's re-make of his "Cape Fear?" When he was defending Max Cadey-played by *Robert De Niro-(1943-)? & Mitchum was on other side of the law, playing chief of police in the Scorsese version. In some of the interviews with him, he said many a man upon meeting him, became an attorney because of Atticus Finch! Too-bad majority of them are not given the same scrupples though??? & thats an understatement!

My Top (5) courtroom pix:

1. "Inherit the Wind" (1960)

2. "To Kill a Mockingbird" (1962)

3. "Judgment at Nuremberg" (1961)

4. "12 Angry Men" (1957)

5. "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959)

Whom also thinks the very-long debated argument/opinion, that Peter 0'Toole for his *"LAWRENCE OF ARABIA"-(which beat "Mockingbird" that yr. for the big one! It won (7) & "Mockingbird" took home (3) OSCARS altogether-also for Horton Foote's script & B & W Art-Direction/Set-Decoration! But whom should have won *Peck or 0'Toole?

I loved Gregory in "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" It was the first time I had seen him in a "less-than-perfect" role, but I loved him anyway. Thanks for the memories Mr. Peck, my condolences are with your family,

God Bless Gregory Peck!

When Gregory Peck received the AFI award for his body of work, he reminded the media elite that "...if they are going to encourage anxious, ambitious actors, directors, writers and producers to continue their assault on the English language by reducing the vocabularies of their characters to half a dozen words, with one colorful but overused Anglo-Saxon verb and one unbeautiful Anglo-Saxon noun covering just about every situation, then I would like to suggest that they stop and think about this: making millions is not the whole ball game, fellows. Pride of workmanship is worth more. Artistry is worth more."

TCM is honoring the artistry of Mr. Peck with an all day tribute to him on Monday, June 16th, including the charming documentary made by his daughter Cecilia, "A Conversation with Gregory Peck", which is being shown at 8pm ET. Though I wish it included "To Kill a Mockingbird", "12 O'Clock High" and "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit", the films being shown tomorrow are below:

6:00 AM Man With A Million (1954) On a bet, a man tries to see how much he can get without breaking a million-pound bank note. Gregory Peck, Jane Griffiths, Ronald Squire. D: Ronald Neame. C 89m.

7:30 AM The Great Sinner (1949) A young man succumbs to gambling fever. Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Ethel Barrymore. D: Robert Siodmak. BW 110m. CC

9:30 AM The Valley Of Decision (1945) An Irish housemaid's romance with the boss's son is complicated by labor disputes in the Pittsburgh mills. Greer Garson, Gregory Peck, Lionel Barrymore. D: Tay Garnett. BW 119m. CC

11:30 AM Designing Woman (1957) A sportswriter and a fashion designer have a lot of adjusting to do when they marry in haste. Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall, Dolores Gray. D: Vincente Minnelli. C 118m. LBX CC DVS

1:30 PM Pork Chop Hill (1959) Americans take a vital hill in Korea but have trouble holding it. Gregory Peck, Harry Guardino, Woody Strode. D: Lewis Milestone. BW 98m. LBX

3:30 PM The Yearling (1946) A Florida boy's pet deer threatens the family farm. Gregory Peck, Jane Wyman, Claude Jarman, Jr. D: Clarence Brown. C 128m. CC DVS

6:00 PM Moby Dick (1956) Epic adaptation of Herman Melville's classic about a vengeful sea captain out to catch the whale that maimed him. Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart, Orson Welles. D: John Huston. C 115m. CC

8:00 PM A Conversation with Gregory Peck (1999) Gregory Peck discusses his life and career during a series of personal appearances and family outings. Interviews include Gregory Peck, Lauren Bacall, Martin Scorsese. D: Barbara Kopple. BW & C 98m. CC

10:00 PM The Big Country (1958) Feuding families vie for water rights in the old West. Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston. D: William Wyler. C 167m. LBX

1:00 AM MacArthur (Part 1) (1977) General MacArthur feuds with two U.S. presidents through World War II and the Korean conflict. Gregory Peck, Dan O'Herlihy, Ed Flanders. D: Joseph Sargent. 130m.

3:30 AM The Paradine Case (1947) A married lawyer falls for the woman he's defending on murder charges. Gregory Peck, Alida Valli, Charles Laughton. D: Alfred Hitchcock. BW 114m. CC

This was the best documentary on a star ever made; perfect combination of showing him as star and husband, father, contributing citizen and caring person. What a moving tribute. A story about the storyteller as he described himself. Lucky coincidence (?) that audiences included a man who became attorney and named child Atticus and a man who fought in Vietnam with Peck's son. Speaks volumes as to what kind of family this was that a son became social worker after Vietnam even though another son met a tragic end. Thank you Cecelia and Turner Classic Movies; this documentary should win some kind of award itself.