Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gallery of Characters

jdb1

Well, yes and no. Most of them couldn't cut it as glamour pusses, but even the ones that could have been "BEAUTIFUL STARS," and didn't make it, made it as character actors, which meant they were still in Hollywood and still up there on the silver screen!

> A question...were the 'character' actors so

> designated because they were not drop dead

> gorgeous like the 'stars'?

>

> Was it all about looks even way back when?

Hi Stoney,

It seems to me most character actors had something about their appearance that triggered laughs, or sometimes shudders of fear (like Peter Lorre, Judith Anderson, Margaret Hamilton from The Wizard of Oz) or other non-romantic emotions.

Then there were some people who went from being leads to characters. Fred Astaire, e.g. ...

Pintorini,

Thank you for the fabulous picture of Judith Anderson, looking quite glamourous indeed!

She has that aura: "I am a Dame and I am divine!".... And, she was and is.

All the photos are delicious and inspiring - - every one garners a memory.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

Dolores,

Some of the character stars were very attractive people.

The few premiers that I've attended could offer some big surprises; often the old harridan turned out to be very lovely and a class act.

I've seen pictures of Marjorie Main and Minerva Urecal looking like very attractive middle class matrons, which in reality, they were.....

Also, look at that picture of Raymond Burr further down - he was quite handsome really.

Larry

Message was edited by:

vecchiolarry

> Some of the character stars were very attractive

> people.

>

> The few premiers that I've attended could offer some

> big surprises; often the old harridan turned out to

> be very lovely and a class act.

>

> I've seen pictures of Marjorie Main and Minerva

> Urecal looking like very attractive middle class

> matrons, which in reality, they were.....

>

> Also, look at that picture of Raymond Burr further

> down - he was quite handsome really.

Larry, you make a very good point. I've always thought that the stars shown below, along with others, were designated "character actors" by the studios, because the studios couldn't sell them as glamorous. In many cases, they were the only ones in a picture who could actually "act," and the studios couldn't do without them. Not that I don't love glamour, but I generally find the characters the most interesting people to watch in any movie.

Oh, I agree, Larry. I think C. Aubrey Smith was quite a looker.

But that was my point -- did Hollywood only groom the drop dead gorgeous people? Why NOT a Judith Anderson, why not a Gale Sondergaard? Why Marilyn Monroe, whose acting merits could be bested by many character actors here? Ditto on Clark Gable.

As a matter of fact, Raymond Burr MADE Godzilla for me -- and his scenes were inserted after the fact! I never knew that when I saw it for the first time, and I can still hear the music in my head when poor Godzilla is being boiled alive.

dolores

Dolores,

Judith Anderson was a star on stage and on a couple of TV plays but except for "Blood Money" (1935), she was relegated to support player in the movies.

She was quite attractive in "Laura" and in "Salome"......

In fact, to me, Judith Anderson was the star of "Salome".. She fairly devoured the cast and ate up the scenery in that one!

You must see it - - hammy acting and all, she's the **** to end all bitches....

When she hisses out the line to Charles Laughton, "Give me the head of the Baptist", the sneer on her face would curdle Medusa's blood!!

Larry

Archived