• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jdb1

Gallery of Characters

One more for Feb. 28 - a Hollywood great:

Vincente Minnelli vincenteminnelli01.jpg

(did you know his real first name was Lester?)

Love Minnelli! His musicals, especially, but he also made a lot of compelling dramas in his later years, like Home from the Hill.

I think Liza looks very much like her father, but you can see Judy in her too, from certain angles - and there are many similar mannerisms, and of course, the voice. When I saw Liza at the Beacon Theater in NYC for her "comeback" a few years ago, I was sitting very far away from the stage, seeing her from afar emphasized her resemblance to her mother.

> Ah sorry I posted that question right after the Alf

> Kjellin photo. :)

Kjellin was a Swedish actor who did a great deal of American TV in the 60s and 70s. He played a wide variety of roles: immigrant farmers, suave European diplomats, doctors and scientists, and sometimes Nazi soldiers. He was in many Swedish movies, and a few American movies, where early in his career he was billed as Christopher Kent. He was in Kirk Douglas' "The Juggler," for one. I think he was in a few Ingmar Bergman movies as well.

I remember him very well from my childhood and liked him very much. (Then I saw Max von Sydow, and it was all over for me as far as hunky Swedes go.)

Hi jdb1 - I look at Liza from all angles - and only see her father - the eyes, eyebrows, nose....all look just like her father. I always thought Judy Garland was rather attractive - but never felt that way about her daughter.

jdb1, was Max hot or what? PBS used to play a great deal of Janus films a hundred years ago, and I used to love the Bergman films just for him. Oh yeah, and the artistic merit.

When I saw him as JHC, I almost plotzed.

Not so much now, he hasn't aged well. Hmmm, wonder how Warren would have held up. Anyone in the audience have one of those forensic aging gizmos? Or a wayback machine at the very least?

Ah, Dolores - that scene in "The Virgin Spring" -- Max taking that sauna in the altogether. As Homer Simpson says -- UUNNNHHHNNNCHNNNCHCHH.

Yes, he has gotten pretty leathery, but I still find him an attractive older man. I like 'em tall and rugged. His speaking voice is also very - you know . . . . .

It's interesting to speculate on Warren. Sometimes people's looks change a lot, but not necessarily for the worse. There are some actors who I think were better looking as they got older. I'll say he would have looked really good. Who's to say otherwise?

3Blottowives-GeorgetteRhodesAnitaGa.jpg

The three Blotto (1930) wives with Stan Laurel. Georgette Rhodes (left) appeared with him in the French version, Anita Garvin (center) was the one we know best --- she did the English language edition, and Linda Loredo (right) filled in for the Spanish role.

- http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html

Love that Stan, Snarfie. I've seen the Spanish and German-language versions of a few of their films, and the boys acquitted themselves quite well, considering they were reciting their lines phonetically.

Happy March everyone - Spring can't be too far behind.

Here are some 3/1 birthdays:

Lionel Atwill atwill1-sized.jpg

Another 3/1 celebrant - one of my favorite actresses, Joan Hackett

joan-hackett.jpg

It's March the Second, and here are some classic characters/supporters who have birthdays today:

Felix Bressart

Pfilm7628674872329.jpg

More on March 3. Prolific screenwriter, Jay Presson Allen

allen-jay-presson.jpg