Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, it was fun while it lasted....

just read my mail: as of Nov. 7, the crooks at Cablevision, in collusion with TCM, are trying to FORCE me to get their IO/digital service. I won't, of course.

So, good bye to everyone as of that date.

And by all means, continue to delude yourself with the idea that TCM is the same as it ever was.

I wish all the good people here all the best.

dolores

Now that is a real shame!

I was going to have my cable completely shutoff a couple of month's ago. I only watch TCM and was being forced to pay for a "premiere" package that included a bunch of junk that I had no use for just to get TCM. Anyway, after threatening to cancel, they were able to put me on a plan that just included "Basic" cable with TCM added ala-carte. I saved about $20.00 per month and they saved a customer. Maybe they would do something similar for you?

Oh Dolores,

I was just wondering over the weekend what had become of you.....

So many of the good and wonderful people who were on here when I began 2 years ago have gone. And, I have gotten the feeling that there is not the same comeraderie now as then. Everyone helped each other more and 'corrected' or informed each other better and in a more convivial way.

Now, we don't dare spell incorrectly or phrase something ungrammatically without a pompous ****-hole making one feel unworthy....

I don't post here as much as I did and I generally log on only once or twice a day now mostly to review Mongo's 'Birthday Thread' and a couple that I started.

I will PM you in the next couple of days about staying in touch through E-Mails.

Larry

Thank you, Larry, that's very nice of you.

After getting involved in what I now believe was a conversation with a 'player', I decided to back off for awhile.

Then today I received this lovely news from TC@C (the crooks at Cablevision), and it looks like some small minded people here can be as pompous as others will allow them to be in the near future.

I'll miss you all, for sure, but hey one never knows, perhaps DirectTV won't be so bad or Cablevision will beg me to stay...........HAH!

dolores

Stoney,

You mentioned Direct TV...if you go the satellite route, which I recommend, take a good look at DISH Network, rather than Direct TV. Dish offers more movie channels, while Direct offers more sports. Also, I think with Direct, you have to buy the Satellite dish and whatnot. Dish basically rents you the dish and anything goes wrong with it, they replace it. I've been with Dish about a year or so now and I have one regret, and that is I didn't make the switch from cable before that.

filmlover

Thank you folks.

bhf1940, right back atcha! :)

filmlover, I just scratched out DirectTV on my message pad and changed it to DISH Network.

DISH doesn't offer a modem connection, by any chance? Nah, I'm sure they don't. I'd looove to tell Cablevision what to do with their lousy Internet connection, their monopoly and their spotty customer service.

dolores

Listen YOU:

My DSL stopped working during the big storm we hd a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't get it to work again, so I called Dish Network to see if they offer anything, and Hallelujah!!!! As of October 19, they are going to offer Broadband service. That means people can reach me again when I'm on the computer. If you have good credit, you can get the dish network with a nominal rental fee, or you can buy your dish and black box thing, for a certain amount, of which they return $5.00 per month when you pay your bill. They also have three different packages at different price ranges, and their movie packages go down with each station you get, if any.

So before you start any farewells, let your fingers do the walking and let us know what you find out!!!!!!!!!!

D - Good luck with your hunt. You would really be missed around here. I, too, only subscribe in order to get TCM and this thread has inspired me to try some negotiating. I had never had any service as we refused to 'pay to watch tv'. Then we moved to BFE and could only get one scratchy channel and it's a 20 mile drive to rent a movie! I had started collecting old movies on VHS a few years before, and when I got TCM I was hooked. My husband is so kind to let me keep it when everything else is trash. We have DISH and have been rather happy, except that it's such a burn when they keep raising our rates and offering new customers more service and equipment for about half the cost. I was just considering switching to Direct TV for awhile - but if I get the 4 boxes it will go up a lot in 1 year and I would have to pay or look at worthless junk. Or switch back. Do I really want someone out here running wire and climbing my tower once a year? I think not.

"filmlover, I just scratched out DirectTV on my message pad and changed it to DISH Network."

I'd like to suggest you check on both of them. I signed up for DirectTV last spring and have been very happy with them. TCM is included in the most basic package. And there are lots of cool features (like caller ID on your tv screen!). I didn't have to pay for the dish; they gave me a free portable DVD player for signing up. I pay the same as I used to with Comcast cable, but now get twice the amount of channels. Ironically, now that I have these channels, I rarely leave TCM to see the myriad of others... but they're there!

TCM isn't forcing you to do anything. They actually have very little say in where a cable company places them. I'll bet Cablevison doesn't pay them an extra penny when they go to digital either. Almost all cable companies are trying to switch folks over to digital so they can charge more and won't have to have duplicate programming on analog channels. In 2009 when all TV must go digital that's all that cable will be offering.

Oh, and don't think I'm a fan of cable as I'm not. I switched to DirecTV five or six years ago and would never go back.I just don't want to see you blame TCM for something they can't really control.

just read my mail: as of Nov. 7, the crooks at Cablevision, in collusion with TCM, are trying to FORCE me to get their IO/digital service. I won't, of course.>>

Stoney,

I can understand Cablevision forcing you to get their digital service- we will all have to be digitial by 2009 or 2010 thanks to Congress.

But I don't think TCM has that much control over what service your cable company provides. The cable channels don't reap any major (or minor) bucks from cable providers. They reap more like .10 cents.

So, if you're going to be mad, be mad at Cablevision, not TCM.

I know what you mean about cable. I have Comcast, and they don't even OFFER the Fox Movie Channel, which I'd like to see in order to get a few of the Fox studio era films under my belt.

Dish or Direct TV is not an option for me, however, because my house is surrounded by very tall trees - I am essentially in a woods of 100-foot Georgia pines. And I just know I'd be having all sorts of problems with a dish as my neighbors who have tried it have really been unhappy with a dish.

I do hope that you find a way to stay, however - on the boards, and able to receive TCM. As you know, I am unhappy about some of the changes also, but for the time being, it is still the best channel out there, and it would be a shame to lose any opportunity to 'get while the gettin' is good'.

The story so far (board ate my previous post):

DISH Network is $49.99 a month for all of the channels I have now, presumably, plus BBC America. Another $14.99 for the conveniently broken apart HBOs, for which Cablevision was going to charge me $12.99.

This is about the same in price. DISH will set up for free and gives four boxes. I can tape to a VCR from the box.

The guy didn't know about broadband, but referenced a 'Wild Blue' satellite internet coming out. Don't know if that is broadband or dsl or if a Vonage phone can be used with it. I doubt it. So I will have to stay connected to the evil Cablevision for the internet modem.

I tried calling DIRECT TV but they wanted me to press this and press that even as a new customer, so I hung up on them.

I still hate technology.

dolores

Stoney:

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Chicago's suburbs, most folks pays up to and including $75.00 for Comcast cable, I did at my last apartment, which is why I changed to Dish Network. My total bill per month is $60.00 and that includes TCM, HBO and STARZ, and I also have the phone I.D. on my TV screen. The charge is $49.99 but taxes take up the other $15.00. The offer isn't to be made until Oct. 19 as I said, so I have to wait until then, at which time I plan to go Vonage also. I'm sick of AT&T gouging me with their 4 & 5 little $.87 taxes which add to my bill just like Commonwealth Edison with their federal, state, county, and village 'fees' which are really taxes in disguise. The guy at Dish Network who told me about the braodband couldn't give me any particulars either, because he said they don't give them out until the offer is ready to be advertised. My dish goes out when there is an electrical storm too, but it also did with Comcast so it's no difference to me.

Dolores, I'm very sorry to hear it. At TCM there is no benefit for us for you to be put on a digital tier (I actually think it hurts us). Regardless, as cynical as you are about TCM, I very much enjoy your input and I hope you don't go away completely.

Thanks, tcmprogrammer. I love a good conspiracy, so I thought that immediately when I got the letter, since it was only TCM that they were pulling out of their lineup! Twenty years of garbage, two years of TCM and now they think they can do this?

No matter, I've just about decided on DISH, but am waiting until the 19th to see what the offer is on broadband. Even if I have to 'duck and cover' when there is a storm, I'll still be better off without Cablevision.

dolores