Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Sainthood for Loretta Young!

Hibi

She used to collect a quarter from anyone on the set who uttered "a bad word." She must be a saint. (either that, or a PITA).

If she had been on the set during the making of Goodfellas, she would have been a billionaire.

• Like 1

If she had been on the set during the making of Goodfellas, she would have been a billionaire.

Yes, had Loretta been on the set of that one, the DePalma SCARFACE remake, or- oddly enough- THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS- she would've CLEANED UP with a swear jar.

(Somewhere out there, there is a "stag" reel of Hayley Mills and Roz Russell having the SALTIEST, most EXPLETIVE laden back and forth following a blown take. Names are called, lines are crossed. It will burn your ear hairs out.)

Somewhere out there, there is a "stag" reel of Hayley Mills and Roz Russell having the SALTIEST, most EXPLETIVE laden back and forth following a blown take. Names are called, lines are crossed. It will burn your ear hairs out.

Hmm. Your notion of a stag reel is considerably different than most.

• Like 1

She used to collect a quarter from anyone on the set who uttered "a bad word." She must be a saint. (either that, or a PITA).

Excuse me for returning to this but I just remembered getting the above from some book. There a specific reference to a movie in particular. Loretta walked up to Spencer Tracey and asked for a quarter and he said something that was very funny but I can't remember what it was. He might have said something relative to a PITA (which is the inspiration for usage above though at the time I did not associate it with anything.) Now the question is, what movie did Loretta and Spencer do together? I tried to google this but with no success. Anyone know? I think it is a popular, high-profile favorite.

Thanks.

=

Excuse me for returning to this but I just remembered getting the above from some book. There a specific reference to a movie in particular. Loretta walked up to Spencer Tracey and asked for a quarter and he said something that was very funny but I can't remember what it was. He might have said something relative to a PITA (which is the inspiration for usage above though at the time I did not associate it with anything.) Now the question is, what movie did Loretta and Spencer do together? I tried to google this but with no success. Anyone know? I think it is a popular, high-profile favorite.

Thanks.

=

Man's Castle (1933)?

I would say, that in terms of sainthood that Loretta was about as deserving as Bing Crosby.

Actually having owned a "Lives of the Saints" book and finding out that many of the ones pictured were just concocted out of thin air, especially the saint of the roadways, good old Saint Christopher, that the term "saint" has mostly lost its lustre anyway.

you're also TOTALLY IGNORING the oft-repeated accounts of numerous witnesses who claim that- on the evening of her miraculous Best Actress win for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER- Loretta, on her way back to her seat at the Pantages, passed her hand over a water glass and transformed it to a delicious merlot with a chocolately boquet and distinct aroma.

Now what would that be in most people's terms? Oh yeah: A MIRACLE.

BOOM.

BUT I GUESS HISTORY JUST DOESN'T MATTER TO SOME PEOPLE!!!!

(and by "some people" I mean "YOU.")

• Like 2

Hmm. Your notion of a stag reel is considerably different than most.

MINE especially!

I've a splitting headache trying to get that image of Rosalind Russell out of my mind!  :wacko:

And pardon my ignorance( at least a very small portion of it!) but since I usually rely on plain talk, or traditional referrences, and also don't text, tweet, snapchat or any of that idiotic "social media" nonsense( forums like these are as far as I go), I don't know what PITA  is other than a type of bread!

Sepiatone

you're also TOTALLY IGNORING the oft-repeated accounts of numerous witnesses who claim that- on the evening of her miraculous Best Actress win for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER- Loretta, on her way back to her seat at the Pantages, passed her hand over a water glass and transformed it to a delicious merlot with a chocolately boquet and distinct aroma.

Now what would that be in most people's terms? Oh yeah: A MIRACLE.

BOOM.

BUT I GUESS HISTORY JUST DOESN'T MATTER TO SOME PEOPLE!!!!

(and by "some people" I mean "YOU.")

Harsh words, Lorna but a good call.

I wasn't excommunicated for nothing!

I'm the kid who in second grade told the nun that having one's cancer mysteriously cured was not a good test for miracles since that happens spontaneously sometimes, but that a true miracle would be having an amputated limb reappear after prayer and penance.

She was not pleased.

• Like 1

Harsh words, Lorna but a good call.

I wasn't excommunicated for nothing!

I'm the kid who in second grade told the nun that having one's cancer mysteriously cured was not a good test for miracles since that happens spontaneously sometimes, but that a true miracle would be having an amputated limb reappear after prayer and penance.

She was not pleased.

thats-a-paddlin.jpg

• Like 2

thats-a-paddlin.jpg

Ya know, this Loretta, Saint or Sinner controversy might just be able to be solved if only Ben Mankiewicz would get involved.

As I recall, Loretta dated his relative, Joe Mankiewicz of "All About Eve" fame, and might have shared some tales with the family.

Since Joe was married at the time, again Loretta playing innocent seems a bit disingenuous. Mankiewicz declined to get a divorce hence he was not available to marry Loretta, so that was that.

I wonder if Joe ever told tales out of school about the saintly Loretta that he was involved with and if so, now is the time for Ben to come clean and share them with his compatriots here who love the truth about films and actors. In my book, even if Loretta was only kissing him on the forehead, why was she doing such with a clearly married man, if she was so moralistic in her personal life?

Another person who might have been fun to interrogate about Loretta would be her ex-hubby, Tom Lewis since it appeared that they had not the most amicable divorce.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings