Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bing Crosby, Saint, Sinner or Songster

CaveGirl

Just cuz one plays a lot of priests in films, does not automatically confer sainthood status on them.

Witness, Bing for example.

To my mind, he was more of a dastardly despoiler of maidenhood, than Errol Flynn but the studios probably protected him and let Flynn be the scapegoat.

Your opinion if possible.

And if Bing was not Saint Bing, what male star would most qualify for sainthood in the evil lust filled studios of Tinseltown?

...what male star would most qualify for sainthood in the evil lust filled studios of Tinseltown?

Probably Fred MacMurray. He was one of the straightest arrows in Hollywood. He sometimes played cads on screen, but he lived a very respectable life off-screen. According to Marlene Dietrich's daughter, Fred was one of only two costars she didn't have an affair with...she tried, but he turned her down because he did not believe in cheating on his wife.

• Like 2

Probably Fred MacMurray. He was one of the straightest arrows in Hollywood. He sometimes played cads on screen, but he lived a very respectable life off-screen. According to Marlene Dietrich's daughter, Fred was one of only two costars she didn't have an affair with...she tried, but he turned her down because he did not believe in cheating on his wife.

Thanks, TB!

Hopefully we will have no devil's advocates with scurrilous rumors about good old Fred.

Another one that I really haven't researched but think might make the grade will be Richard Widmark. I see to remember that he never lived in Hollywood, and took up residence maybe in Connecticut.

One person that no one ever would think due to his films, but who was pretty much a homebody I think, was that sneaky Dan Duryea. I need to check both out and see if there is any backstage gossip on them.

• Like 1

Well, Jeff Sheldrake sure did.

Thanks, TB!

Hopefully we will have no devil's advocates with scurrilous rumors about good old Fred.

Another one that I really haven't researched but think might make the grade will be Richard Widmark. I see to remember that he never lived in Hollywood, and took up residence maybe in Connecticut.

I've heard that about Robert Ryan.

As for Fred MacMurray-- the worst thing I ever read or heard about him is that he was a skinflint with his money. But that seems consistent with his very conservative nature.

I've heard that about Robert Ryan.

As for Fred MacMurray-- the worst thing I ever read or heard about him is that he was a skinflint with his money. But that seems consistent with his very conservative nature.

Oh, yeah...I've heard that too about Ryan and it is refreshing to hear.

I wonder if Adolph Menjou ran around on his wives, being that he was the most well dressed man in Hollywood?

Well, Jeff Sheldrake sure did.

That's why I said he sometimes played cads on screen, but it was not at all how he was off-screen. Shows what a great actor he was. In the promo Fred's daughter did for TCM in January when he was Star of the Month, she talked about how a female fan gave him a tongue-lashing at a public event after THE APARTMENT came out, for playing such a despicable heel. After that, he would only play characters that were wholesome. 

Oh, yeah...I've heard that too about Ryan and it is refreshing to hear.

I wonder if Adolph Menjou ran around on his wives, being that he was the most well dressed man in Hollywood?

He had a very long marriage to his third wife Verree Teasdale. So if he ran around, he probably did it when he was younger and married to the first two women. He became known as a very conservative right-winger in the late 40s and after. So my guess is he was squeaky clean after he married Teasdale.

He became known as a very conservative right-winger in the late 40s and after. So my guess is he was squeaky clean after he married Teasdale.

Because they never cheat on their wives.  <_<

All I've heard of Menjou is that he was a "rabid" anti-Communist, so much so that he would get apoplectic discussing the subject. He was a major supporter of McCarthy and HUAC.

That's why I said he sometimes played cads on screen, but it was not at all how he was off-screen. Shows what a great actor he was. In the promo Fred's daughter did for TCM in January when he was Star of the Month, she talked about how a female fan gave him a tongue-lashing at a public event after THE APARTMENT came out, for playing such a despicable heel. After that, he would only play characters that were wholesome. 

I did feel that it was sad that Fred never played another part like Sheldrake, as he was so good at being a miserable cad and misogynist in that part.

But I never believed him as Walter Neff in "DI" for only one reason. He sounded believable in his lines, all up to the point when he would call Stanwyck, "baby" in scenes. It just never sounded believable. Not like when someone like Mitchum would use the word. Fred probably did not have much experience calling any women "baby" to his credit.

I need to nominate another man as saintly in Hollywood. That would be Osgood Fielding III, or as he was more commonly known Joe E. Brown. I think he was quite cute and as good looking as Johnny Carson, plus a really fine family man and patriot.

• Like 1

All I've heard of Menjou is that he was a "rabid" anti-Communist, so much so that he would get apoplectic discussing the subject. He was a major supporter of McCarthy and HUAC.

That's interesting. I've not read that much on Menjou so thanks for the info, Lawrence!

I need to nominate another man as saintly in Hollywood. That would be Osgood Fielding III, or as he was more commonly known Joe E. Brown. I think he was quite cute and as good looking as Johnny Carson, plus a really fine family man and patriot.

Yes, Brown's patriotism was legendary. People hardly talk about that now. 

Thanks Larry. Of course some conservatives have affairs. Verree Teasdale was a gorgeous looking younger woman. He would have been stupid to cheat on her. I think he knew he had a good thing with her. 

• Like 1

I figure some of those Western stars were mostly squeaky-clean like ROY ROGERS, GENE AUTRY, WILLIAM BOYD, probably others I can't think of!

I wonder who the other male star was that Marlene Dietrich didn't have a dalliance with?  Fred MacMurray and . . . ?      

I wonder who the other male star was that Marlene Dietrich didn't have a dalliance with?  Fred MacMurray and . . . ?      

In her daughter's book, I believe she said that John Wayne turned her mother down, too.  I forget what he actually said, but it was something like not wanting to be just another man in her stable

• Like 1

In her daughter's book, I believe she said that John Wayne turned her mother down, too.  I forget what he actually said, but it was something like not wanting to be just another man in her stable

I read John Wayne's biography recently, and he most certainly did not turn down Ms. Dietrich's advances. In fact, the biggest romance of his life outside of his wives was self-admittedly with Dietrich. It was a very steamy relationship that lasted several years before he finally called it off because it was making his home life too chaotic.

• Like 1

Probably the fact that Sheldrake was SO different than Fred was in real life made it more likely that he wouldn't play these roles any more.

• Like 1

He was an anti-Communist - and testified before HUAC - but he was not "rabid".  When Edward Dmytryk was released from prison and directed Menjou in THE SNIPER, Menjou was a thorough professional and there was not a hint of acrimony on the set (according to both Dmytryk and Stanley Kramer).

He was an anti-Communist - and testified before HUAC - but he was not "rabid".  When Edward Dmytryk was released from prison and directed Menjou in THE SNIPER, Menjou was a thorough professional and there was not a hint of acrimony on the set (according to both Dmytryk and Stanley Kramer).

He hated Communists because few of them dressed as well as he did, the best-dressed man in Hollywood.

Yes. LOL. Marlene was really irked about that........according to Maria, her mother hated sex. So I guess it was a power trip for her.

Well, Dmytryk named names, so maybe all was forgiven.......

I read John Wayne's biography recently, and he most certainly did not turn down Ms. Dietrich's advances. In fact, the biggest romance of his life outside of his wives was self-admittedly with Dietrich. It was a very steamy relationship that lasted several years before he finally called it off because it was making his home life too chaotic.

Now, that's interesting. I wonder what the truth is, as I've read otherwise.

Just did some research on this book, it appears Maria was wrong then. Maybe Wayne played hard to get at first. LOL

I'm sure there were plenty of righteous living men actors in old Hollywood, but who ever wanted to read about tHEM?

Sure...

But we all by now know all about Bing's purported abusive behavior towards the children of his first marriage.

But one surprise( to me at least)

In a Barbara Walters interview in the '70's, a couple years before his death, Bing to Baba's shock and surprise said he---1. Didn't see anything wrong with the use of marijuana. Thought it as harmless, or even less harmful than booze. 2.  Would disown any daughter of his who would live with a man without being married.

Sainthood?  Depends on what you use as criteria.  I'd say despite his never claiming any piety, GEORE BURNS' long years of marriage and devoted love with GRACE, and never remarrying after she died might qualify.  But that would include BOB HOPE and JACK BENNY too.

Sepiatone

Interesting sidebar: Wayne married his first wife at the home of.....................

LORETTA YOUNG!

She's everywhere!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings