Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Verboten Films For Diabetics!

CaveGirl

I am not diabetic, but if I were I'm sure that I would not be able to stomach the film, "Savannah Smiles".

Just like when Oscar Levant said he could not watch Doris Day films due to being diabetic, I feel that this affliction could be affected by other even more syrupy, sacchariney films..

Name the ones that you feel have too high a sugar content.

I've never seen "Savannah Smiles", but here are some movies I thought too sweet to stomach.

"Quality Street" (1937)--Watching the sound version is like chugging a gallon of corn syrup.

"Seven Sweethearts" (1942)--Kathryn Grayson with six sweeter sisters.  Enough said.

"One Romantic Night" (1930)--Excepting Marie Dressler, film is too sweet to view.  Star Lillian Gish sounds and acts an Unfortunate combination of Camille and a debutante who's missed her nap (in fairness to Gish, I have to mention she battled MGM to make "The Wind" (1928), and the strain may be showing in her performance).

"A Place for Lovers" (1969)--This one Can be entertaining, provided it's watched in the Wrong mood.  Poor Faye Dunaway is pining away in Italy and her jaundiced look is color-coordinated with the interiors.  This Was available on YT about 3-5 months ago.

• Like 1

I've never seen "Savannah Smiles", but here are some movies I thought too sweet to stomach.

"Quality Street" (1937)--Watching the sound version is like chugging a gallon of corn syrup.

"Seven Sweethearts" (1942)--Kathryn Grayson with six sweeter sisters.  Enough said.

"One Romantic Night" (1930)--Excepting Marie Dressler, film is too sweet to view.  Star Lillian Gish sounds and acts an Unfortunate combination of Camille and a debutante who's missed her nap (in fairness to Gish, I have to mention she battled MGM to make "The Wind" (1928), and the strain may be showing in her performance).

"A Place for Lovers" (1969)--This one Can be entertaining, provided it's watched in the Wrong mood.  Poor Faye Dunaway is pining away in Italy and her jaundiced look is color-coordinated with the interiors.  This Was available on YT about 3-5 months ago.

You really should experience at least a bit of "SS", FL since it is almost as bad as watching the Olsen Twins.

Totally agree with you about the Katharine Hepburn and Franchot Tone film. Diabetic coma time!

And I too watched "One Romantic Night" and now see why Lillian Gish was becoming old hat next to the flappers like Clara Bow, so she left films at the proper time, and returned at a later date and with more maturity. I usually love her in anything, but she was amazingly sappy in that film. Dressler was fine though as the society mother.

I haven't seen the Faye Dunaway film but now I shall look for it to hate.

Thanks!

• Like 1

THE BABE RUTH STORY (1948) starring William Bendix and Charles Bickford is one sticky flick!  Beware of this one.  GAWD! 

I recall TCM aired 'A Place for Lovers'.  I watched it.  Certain bad movies I find enjoyable.  I would watch it again, but I cannot say why exactly!  Maybe I'm just poxed in the brain pan . . . ?

• Like 2

"So it's verboten?"

William Hurt's line to Holly Hunter in BROADCAST NEWS when she reveals she learned he staged his tearful reaction shot in his interview with the date rape victim

What did he say, I forget?

Was it cutesy? Enough to make someone vomit, Holden?

I hate that cutesy stuff. Kind of like June Allyson talking about adult diapers with a lilting voice, like it is so much fun to have to wear one.

I'd rather see Margaret Hamilton dressed up as the witch, discussing such problems as I'm sure premature u-r-i-n-a-t-i-o-n in public is no fun whatsoever.

I also can't stand Nancy O'Dell from "Entertainment Tonight". The other day,when she reported about that poor actor who was killed by being pinned by his car, she actually stupidly stated something like "And he died just about twenty days before the premiere of his new movie" as it that was the end all and be all of his life.

Sorry, Holden I've gone off the rails. Thanks for your response!

What did he say, I forget?

Was it cutesy? Enough to make someone vomit, Holden?

I hate that cutesy stuff. Kind of like June Allyson talking about adult diapers with a lilting voice, like it is so much fun to have to wear one.

I'd rather see Margaret Hamilton dressed up as the witch, discussing such problems as I'm sure premature u-r-i-n-a-t-i-o-n in public is no fun whatsoever.

I also can't stand Nancy O'Dell from "Entertainment Tonight". The other day,when she reported about that poor actor who was killed by being pinned by his car, she actually stupidly stated something like "And he died just about twenty days before the premiere of his new movie" as it that was the end all and be all of his life.

Sorry, Holden I've gone off the rails. Thanks for your response!

William Hurt just used the word "verboten."

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry for being so obtuse, Holden.

I need to watch that movie again. All I remember is how funny Albert Brooks was in it.

One of my favorite Albert Brooks lines from BROADCAST NEWS:

"A lot of alliteration from anxious anchors placed in powerful posts."

• Like 1

I also can't stand Nancy O'Dell from "Entertainment Tonight". The other day,when she reported about that poor actor who was killed by being pinned by his car,

What Ever Happened to Baby Chekov?

/ducking

I am not diabetic, but if I were I'm sure that I would not be able to stomach the film, "Savannah Smiles".

Just like when Oscar Levant said he could not watch Doris Day films due to being diabetic, I feel that this affliction could be affected by other even more syrupy, sacchariney films..

Name the ones that you feel have too high a sugar content.

This should put one into a diabetic coma. ;)

628454.jpg

This 1948 cartoon short shows one don't live on candy alone.  "Butterscotch and Soda".  (talk about obsession!)

PDVD_352.jpg

PDVD_340.jpg

This should put one into a diabetic coma. ;)

628454.jpg

This 1948 cartoon short shows one don't live on candy alone.  "Butterscotch and Soda".  (talk about obsession!)

PDVD_352.jpg

PDVD_340.jpg

But Willy Wonka is rather hateful to many of the more horrid children, which saves that movie from any sugar overdose!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings