Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

people you [i]love[/i] to hate!

i was watching mel gibson's the patriot (which isn't a classic, not yet anyway) and i just love watching the mean guy, Jason Issacs (sp. i know...) do his thing! who's others fave mean guys? crooks, criminals... people you love to hate! hopefully this thread hasn't been done too recently... :)

I don't love to hate him, I just hate Peter Lorre. I think the first time I noticed him was in Casablanca, and I never got over my dislike of his creepy, underhanded personna. He ALWAYS played a loser, and I always cheered when he got his just rewards.

mrsl said:

I don't love to hate him, I just hate Peter Lorre. I think the first time I noticed him was in Casablanca, and I never got over my dislike of his creepy, underhanded personna. He ALWAYS played a loser, and I always cheered when he got his just rewards.

*shrieks*

(weeping) Those words are like daggers through my heart.

> mrsl said:

>

> I don't love to hate him, I just hate Peter Lorre.

> I think the first time I noticed him was in

> Casablanca, and I never got over my dislike of his

> creepy, underhanded personna. He ALWAYS played a

> loser, and I always cheered when he got his just

> rewards.

>

> *shrieks*

> (weeping) Those words are like daggers through my

> heart.

Oh yes, oh yes, I feel that dagger too.

mrsl, I think if you read any biographical material about Lorre, you'll find that he was nothing at all like the parts he relished playing. In fact, it seems to me that he was a pretty nice guy, with a great sense of humor. He's been one of my favorites my whole life long. The same can be said about Boris Karloff - he was an evil character in many frightening and/or lurid films, but he also seems to have been a fine and gentle man.

Walter Matthau would be one at the top of my list. I don't like how he comes across on the screen and I don't like the sound of his voice and how he says his words. I don't know what the film directors and the producers saw in him to make him a star. They chose the wrong person, I think.

There have no truer words spoken... thank you, jdb1. I love to watch Peter Lorre in films, but it's a shame no one got to see a softer, more likeable side of him. I still say, I watch him and not even with his best acting can he hide that likeabilty. That's what I love and admire about Peter Lorre. He had many faces in films, but none better than the one he wore off-screen.

bhf1940

lorre3.jpg

Yes, that is a really lovely picture of Lorre (I always think of him as Laszlo, which was his real name).

And I agree, there was generally a mischievous undertone to his acting, that made you like him, even when he was being bad. He built his entire career on that quality. A case in point is the recently aired "Mad Love." He was such a sickie in that film, yet you felt sorry for him - the character just didn't know what to do to make things right, and he unfortunately took the wrong path.

One exception I can think of is his turn in that Alfred Hitchcock episode about gambling -- each time you lost, you lost a finger. He was pretty scary in that one. That's why I love him.

I have to agree - I saw "Cape Fear" 1 time and will never watch it again. I don't really hate Mitchum, but since seeing that movie, I just always think of him as threatening and violent and very, very frightening. He certainly was a handsome man and very articulate, too, as I found by watching that Cavett interview of him, but I can't shake that "scary feeling" every time I see him on film.

jdb1 said:

A case in point is the recently aired "Mad Love." He was such a sickie in that film, yet you felt sorry for him - the character just didn't know what to do to make things right, and he unfortunately took the wrong path.

i saw mad love as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. i thought the wax figure was especially creepy... that whole scene where she stood in it's place was really quite exciting. it was amazing how different Lorre looked with out hair... kinda stocky! eek!

I have to agree with Louise Fletcher's Nurse Ratched (yes, she was wretched!!). I think she's the first character I remember feeling that way about... I just wanted to strangle her.

Also agree on Robert Mitchum's characters in The Night of the Hunter (evil, just plain evil) and Cape Fear too. That character made me feel as tense as Polly Bergen! I did see De Niro's version of Max Cady. Perhaps it's my fondness for him but I thought he improved the character, actually. (To think that surprised me because I didn't necessarily think Max Cady needed any "improving", LOL.)

Re: Peter Lorre. Whenever I see Lorre in a film where he's to be creepy or despicable (and he does it well) I always try to think of him as Dr. Einstein in Arsenic and Old Lace. Even though he's evil brother Jonathan's cohort you always feel it's not by choice and really he's a nice guy. imdb has a lovely picture of him with a smile on his face. I do like him, he was quite good at his work!

I'll add a fresh character to the list (since I've only commented on some mentioned already). Bette Davis' Baby Jane Hudson and Regina Giddens (The Little Foxes). As Baby Jane she's absolutely as despicable of character as she is in outward appearance... but I can't help but laugh with her when she's served the rat dinner! (What does that say about me!! LOL) And her Regina Giddens character is so hard and cold, and so beautifully played that I forget she's just a character. I like what Ellen Burstyn says about the character regarding her lips being so tightly pursed that not a drop of human kindess could spill out when her husband is collapsing (or something like that -- horribly paraphrased -- but dead on.) Such an excellent portrayal you have to hate her... and love it!

I think it's a credit to an actor to be in such a position -- that you love to hate the character they brought to life!