Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

A (SPOILER-HEAVY) question in re: the ending to WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

i was thinking, it really is kind of shocking that LAUGHTON was only nominated THREE TIMES for the Academy Award, winning deservedly for THE PRIVATE LIFE OF HENRY VIII and earning well-deserved nods for MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY and WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION.

But that's all.

I know he wasn't "HOLLYWOOD" and he could've cared less AND a lot of his films were British and/or "under the radar"- but really- just off the top of my head, his work in  ST. MARTIN'S LANE, THE SUSPECT, THE BIG CLOCK (for supporting), HOBSON'S CHOICE, and HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (although, again, sort of a supporting role) each and every one was without a doubt one of the five best performances given by an actor in those years.

(and it's worth noting, he should've earned nominations for REMBRANDT, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and RUGGLES OF RED-GAP but was nominated for other films made in those years. )

I believe that if I could make just  one change in the academy awards winners it would be to give Laughton the best actor for HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME.  Interesting that I watched some of Svengoolie's airing of ISLAND OF LOST SOULS and Sven commented that Laughton was not happy with that role, only doing it for contract obligation. It's a riot seeing Bela Lugosi in his get up.  They use that scene of his mugging for the camera in AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON (the Carrie Fisher segment).