Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Conan

Turkish Cinema

Here's one for anyone who's ever seen such rare "classics" as Turkish Star Wars or 3 Dove Adam. Turkish Star Wars is one of the rare movies that I have to sit down and watch every time I see it. I'm not aware of these movies ever playing on television but they can be found on video. It would be interesting to see TCM play more foreign movies from countries outside of europe. I thoroughly enjoy the lineup they already play, I'm just saying that every now and then it would be nice to see a film from somewhere with a cinema we are not already exposed to.

Correction: the title is 3 Dev Adam. It's the one where Santos and Captain America team up to battle the evil villain Spiderman. No, no special powers but they are in full costume and Spiderman kills people with a knife.

Apparently this style of filmmaking was popular in Turkey from the 1960's until about 1982, with Turkish Star Wars being around the last. There was also Turkish Star Trek and The Deathless Devil. Recent acquisitions which I hope to view soon.

I just enjoyed my first exposure to Turkish cinema with the DVD double feature of The Deathless Devil and Tarkan. Copyrights meant nothing to these people! What a hoot. It was like watching some classic serial crossed with HR Pufnstuf. I have 3 Dev Adam on my wishlist. Mondo Macabre does a wonderful job as a company of finding and releasing some of these great obscure treasures spanning the globe. I look forward to discovering more of these gems, though it sounds like most of them don't exist anymore.