Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Willy Wonka and the Chocalate Factory back in theatres

NipkowDisc

Well our entire family saw this movie in the theater a few years ago for Father's Day....a new 35mm print from the negative. I hadn't seen it since seeing it in the theater first run.

We had the extra bonus of original Willy Wonka movie posters in the lobby, complete with an original Golden Ticket in the case! Also Dr Peter Olstrum, who played Charlie was in attendance. I can't imagine what he thinks seeing people still enjoying this film so many years later.

I found it absolutely charming and actually cried at the ending.

I always thought it was an OK movie.  Nothing GREAT, mind you, but well done with a good cast.

I DID however, take some exception to the part where Gene Wilder, as Wonka, opened the factory door  by playing a bit of Mozart on the "keyboard lock" and the one kid's mother smugly( and ignorantly) says, "Rachmaninoff". 

I also recall back when it came out, all the "stoners" 'round town got a kick out of popping some mesc and going to the theater to see it.  Now, I never got around to seeing it until long after I quit imbibing, but I could understand the the why of it.

Our grandneice Ashly( now 28) when she was little, as little kids often do over certain movies, was obsessed with it.  But she never referred to it by proper title.  She'd insist on watching "Candy Man"!  Knowing a bit about ANOTHER movie with that title, I always got a kick out of her request.

Sepiatone

let me know when they get around to Star Trek the Motion Picture (1979) :lol:

I can't remember any other film after it's release being referred to by a studio exec as a "40 million dollar bleep".

:lol:

Did the "exec" actually say the word "bleep" or was it actually an expletive?

Yes we are.

I liked Louis Edmonds as Roger. That guy cracked me up to no end. I'd love to have seen a detective series with Edmonds and Jonathan Harris as a couple of snobbish, condescending sleuths.

And the OP spelled chocolate wrong.

• Like 2

A prime example of an otherwise worthless movie made watchable, and even at points delightful by the brilliance of a performer--in this case, the great Gene Wilder.  He attacks his role with a sarcastic glee, munching the scenery, fellow characters, and some of the candy.  

• Like 1

'Willy Wonka' is one of those movies that I will watch every once in a blue moon and when I do watch it, I enjoy it, but it's never a movie that I ever have the urge to watch.  I don't dislike the film.  It's just a strange movie.  Perhaps I should read Roald Dahl's original books.  I always wonder why all the grandparents sleep in the same bed in the middle of the living room.  I also find it odd that Grandpa is bedridden, then when Charlie comes home with the Golden Ticket, he has magically gained enough strength to dance around the living room!  I always found the oompa loompas kind of creepy but oddly amusing.  I like their songs:

Oompa, loompa, doom-pa-dee-do

I have a perfect puzzle for you

Oompa, loompa, doom-pa-dee-do

If you are wise, you'll listen to me

What do you get when you guzzle down sweets?

Eating as much as an elephant eats?

What are you at getting terribly fat?

What do you think will come of that?

I don't like the look of it.

I also like the little whistle that Willy Wonka uses to summon the Oompa Loompas.

I'd like to say that if I were at the factory, I'd be Charlie and win at the end.  Unfortunately, I think I'm a cross between Veruca and Mike TV.

I seem to recall that back in the '90's, there was an all female rock group called VERUCA SALT.

Wonder whatever became of them.  They were pretty good.

And thanks to the young lady's excellent performance in the part I've been known to invoke the name in certain circumstances.

Whenever my wife would get testy, impatient and demanding, I'd say something like, "COOL it, Veruca!"

Also whenever any of the kids in the family( who've all seen the movie countless times) display the same behavior.

I wonder if anybody, once growing up loving the movie ever named any of their children Veruca?

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings