Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two Loves: Movies and Music

misswonderly3

Hey, people.  This is not one of those threads about the place of music IN movies, movie soundtracks, favourite film score composers, great songs associated with certain movies, etc. Although there is undeniably a deep connection between movies and music - - even silent films have specific scores to be played along with them - - this thread is not intended to be about that, not exactly anyway.

It's about two of the things I love most, two things that give me a lot of joy: music and movies. I realized the other day that I was spending a lot more time recently on a thread in these forums that's about music, and hadn't participated very much at all on any of the movie threads. This got me thinking about how much I love music, and what an important part it plays in my life.

As do movies. Now, I know, this does not have to be an "either / or " thing. You can appreciate both equally. They're similar, yet very different. Nobody's saying you have to pick one or the other. That would be silly.

Still, for some reason I got to thinking about both these loves of mine, and how, if I were banished to a deserted island  ( yes ! the old  "deserted island" cliche !)  and I could take a supply of only one with me -- music or movies - - which one would I choose. 

(Since this is a purely hypothetical situation, we won't sorry about where the power hook-up to enable either movie-watching or music-listening activity would come from.)

I'd choose music.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Hey, people.  This is not one of those threads about the place of music IN movies, movie soundtracks, favourite film score composers, great songs associated with certain movies, etc. Although there is undeniably a deep connection between movies and music - - even silent films have specific scores to be played along with them - - this thread is not intended to be about that, not exactly anyway.

It's about two of the things I love most, two things that give me a lot of joy: music and movies. I realized the other day that I was spending a lot more time recently on a thread in these forums that's about music, and hadn't participated very much at all on any of the movie threads. This got me thinking about how much I love music, and what an important part it plays in my life.

As do movies. Now, I know, this does not have to be an "either / or " thing. You can appreciate both equally. They're similar, yet very different. Nobody's saying you have to pick one or the other. That would be silly.

Still, for some reason I got to thinking about both these loves of mine, and how, if I were banished to a deserted island  ( yes ! the old  "deserted island" cliche !)  and I could take a supply of only one with me -- music or movies - - which one would I choose. 

(Since this is a purely hypothetical situation, we won't sorry about where the power hook-up to enable either movie-watching or music-listening activity would come from.)

I'd choose music.

Thoughts?

I would pick movies but a lot of the movies would be documentaries about music and musicians.    Yea, I cheat!

• Like 4

If I had to choose, I'd go for music in a heartbeat.  While I love movies with a passion, a world without music would be unthinkable.  Having been a musician all my life, it's like the air I breathe (sorry for that cliche). 

Terrence.

• Like 2

I would pick movies but a lot of the movies would be documentaries about music and musicians.    Yea, I cheat!

Movies gets my vote--mostly musicals, with a few films with favorite scores thrown in ("How The West Was Won" (1963) "Spellbound", (1945)  "The Sting" (1973), just to name three).

Ha !  Cheating !  Just kidding.  As I said in my O.P., movies and music go hand in hand. Why not have your cake and eat it too by choosing movies in which music is an essential part of their make-up ?

• Like 2

I'd choose music.

Thoughts?

Your love of music apparently doesn't extend to classic alternative rock. You haven't come within a mile of my Joy Division thread.

If I had to choose, I'd go for music in a heartbeat.  While I love movies with a passion, a world without music would be unthinkable.  Having been a musician all my life, it's like the air I breathe (sorry for that cliche). 

Terrence.

I'm a musician also and on my deserted island there is a piano,  guitar and trumpet.    We made drums from the coconut shells. 

;)

But yea,  I would miss listening to music a lot but as long as I could play music with others,  I would pick movies over recorded music.

• Like 1

There's a TV show I like called "The Middle" which has a character who's a kid( now about 13 on the show) who's had a lifelong obsession with books.  He'd spend most of his time reading instead of socializing with other kids his age and it's been a vehicle for comedy bits on the show for years.

I was that kid when I was a kid.  But with ME, it was the phonograph.  That device when I was little and growng up fascinated me.  I'd even lug it( it was "portable") down to the recreation room we had in our basement and spend hours playing "disc jockey", spinning my Mom's collection of old 78s and odd-lot 45s.

As time went on, I got to where I would scour the alleys in my neighborhood to collect enough pop bottles to redeem and go buy another 45.

Also over time, I got to where I developed a liking for music in many genres, and unlike DGF, never got to where I'd obsess over any one in particular.  Rock'n'roll, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Classical, Funk, Soul, and even some Country, it really didn't and doesn't matter. 

I grew to eventually get into the preferrence for what we here loosely call "classic" movies, and went about it with an equal lack of obsession over any particular genre or even actors, actresses, directors and that rot.  I'm not one who has an interest in dropping the name of some obscure foreign film director in any conversation on the topic.  Nor do I get into trying to analyze any particular movie or the story it portends to display.  Who does or did what and where isn't that important to me.  I might find some of the trivial information interesting, but only so far.  It's not the "bread and butter" of my love for movies.  OR music.

I understand MissW's affinity for music.  Through Jr. high and high school, I always did my homework with a radio on nearby.  Even now, when I mow the lawn and do other yardwork,  I have a little portable CD player placed in a "fanny pack" and earphones placed firmly to my ears.  I even have a radio playing here in the room I keep my PC in with it tuned to our local classical music station going.  Right now, they're playing Jean Sibelius' 3rd symphony( one of my favorites). 

For the "desert island" thing, I'd pick music.  I think I have enough imagination to come up with the movie to go with whatever I'm listening to.

Sepiatone

There's a TV show I like called "The Middle" which has a character who's a kid( now about 13 on the show) who's had a lifelong obsession with books.  He'd spend most of his time reading instead of socializing with other kids his age and it's been a vehicle for comedy bits on the show for years.

I was that kid when I was a kid.  But with ME, it was the phonograph.  That device when I was little and growng up fascinated me.  I'd even lug it( it was "portable") down to the recreation room we had in our basement and spend hours playing "disc jockey", spinning my Mom's collection of old 78s and odd-lot 45s.

As time went on, I got to where I would scour the alleys in my neighborhood to collect enough pop bottles to redeem and go buy another 45.

Also over time, I got to where I developed a liking for music in many genres, and unlike DGF, never got to where I'd obsess over any one in particular.  Rock'n'roll, Blues, Jazz, Folk, Classical, Funk, Soul, and even some Country, it really didn't and doesn't matter. 

I grew to eventually get into the preferrence for what we here loosely call "classic" movies, and went about it with an equal lack of obsession over any particular genre or even actors, actresses, directors and that rot.  I'm not one who has an interest in dropping the name of some obscure foreign film director in any conversation on the topic.  Nor do I get into trying to analyze any particular movie or the story it portends to display.  Who does or did what and where isn't that important to me.  I might find some of the trivial information interesting, but only so far.  It's not the "bread and butter" of my love for movies.  OR music.

I understand MissW's affinity for music.  Through Jr. high and high school, I always did my homework with a radio on nearby.  Even now, when I mow the lawn and do other yardwork,  I have a little portable CD player placed in a "fanny pack" and earphones placed firmly to my ears.  I even have a radio playing here in the room I keep my PC in with it tuned to our local classical music station going.  Right now, they're playing Jean Sibelius' 3rd symphony( one of my favorites). 

For the "desert island" thing, I'd pick music.  I think I have enough imagination to come up with the movie to go with whatever I'm listening to.

Sepiatone

I can totally relate to what you are saying, Sepia since my family had also a large collection of records dating back to even the early 1900's which were paper records [and they still play by the way] so it was always fun to play and collect different genres. 

As to Miss Wonderly's question, since if the world is mostly decimated and all films are destroyed, there is always a way for music to be played even on a comb, so I will have to go with putting music first and then movies.

Of course if I could have one movie that is great visually and also aurally, I would pick the film by Terrence Malick called "Badlands" ostensibly about the Charles Starkweather and Caril Fugate murder spree killings since the soundtrack is full of things by my favorite composer, Eric Satie with excerpts of "Trois Morceaux en Forme de Poire" [Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear] which could satisfy both tastes.

• Like 1

Sepiatone

How can the genre of music not matter at all? At certain times, you've got to be in the mood for rock rather than classical, or vice versa.

I have 3 loves - music, movies and books.

Depending on how big a supply we're talking about being able to take to the deserted island, I just might be inclined to go with books.

For music I have my own memory and singing voice.

Much depends on my age - if I'm young, with unworn vision, books would be great.

So, books over movies? How many of each and for how long is pretty influential to my decision.

• Like 1

Depending on how big a supply we're talking about being able to take to the deserted island, I just might be inclined to go with books.

Much depends on my age - if I'm young, with unworn vision, books would be great.

So, books over movies? How many of each and for how long is pretty influential to my decision.

You forgot to mention your fourth love, zinging people.

AS many as you want, but as Sam Goldwyn said, include me out.

Of course I'd leave you out. What'd you think - you had a chance??

Well, if I can take as many as I want, I'll take lots and lots - mostly women. Pretty women. And some guys to zing.

I would have always picked books too, to take to the desert island till I saw that Twilight Zone episode called "Time Enough at Last" with Burgess Meredith.

The poor man managed to get rid of his annoying wife and then had time to read but broke his glasses. Really one of the most depressing endings on film.

I would have always picked books too, to take to the desert island till I saw that Twilight Zone episode called "Time Enough at Last" with Burgess Meredith.

The poor man managed to get rid of his annoying wife and then had time to read but broke his glasses. Really one of the most depressing endings on film.

So you wear glasses, do you.

How can the genre of music not matter at all? At certain times, you've got to be in the mood for rock rather than classical, or vice versa.

He didn't say the genre of music doesn't matter at all but instead that you 'obsess over any one in particular'.

Hey,  I also do this.  I obsess over jazz.   e.g. I could go weeks without listening to rock (even the Fab Four),  but I couldn't go more then a few days without listening or playing a jazz standard.

I almost added books to the mix in my original post. Yes, I really have three "loves": music, movies, and books. The only reason I didn't mention them is, I didn't want to make it too complicated- or too difficult to decide. 

But in fact, books were my first love. I discovered the joys of reading before those of  either music or movies. 

• Like 1

I'd never be in the mood for classical. Not if I lived to 115.

Well at least you don't have to have your ears assailed with something you don't like.

Fuddy-Duddy Alert

In public places---mainly restaurants, malls, piazza, etc---I am dogged by the sound of either rock and/or the various categories that pass for pop. Usually much louder that it is needed. I swear, how can one enjoy yourself when one is held hostage like that. I'll tell you how, it helps to like NOISE. I look around and I see folks yapping away, slamming food in their faces, immersed in a device or other. They are not even listening. It's meant to be background NOISE. Which is what it is!

:P

==

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings