Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dark Shadows 50th Anniversary

Hibi

I never DID see any of that show.  All the kids at my high school would chatter excitedly about the previous day's episodes.  The rule in my house was "No TV until after dinner", so I had no chance.

Sepiatone

Dark Shadows debuted 50 years ago Monday (I feel OLD!) Below are some pics from the reunion over the wknd. Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott look great! (Click on the picture for many more pics)

http://kathrynleighscott.com/blogs/news/pictures-from-the-dark-shadows-50th-anniversary-celebration

Best show in the world, and who doesn't love the relationship between Barnabas and Doctor Julia Hoffman.

Thanks, Sepia!

Best show in the world, and who doesn't love the relationship between Barnabas and Doctor Julia Hoffman.

Thanks, Sepia!

I started watching dark shadows in late 1967 and stayed with it until the final ep in april 1971.

I posted some messages on the late jonathan frid's website and the great man actually responded to two of my posts. :)

• Like 1

You're welcome! I knew it was the 50th anniversary as Decades mentioned it over the weekend (I watched some of the Superman marathon) but I wasnt aware of the wknd confab. until now through Kathryn's blog. I bet it was a lot of tun! Too bad many of the cast have passed on (Jonathan Frid and Joan Bennett especially) Who could have known the series would have such staying power???

I started watching dark shadows in late 1967 and stayed with it until the final ep in april 1971.

I posted some messages on the late jonathan frid's website and the great man actually responded to two of my posts. :)

Frid was so great. I also loved John Karlen as Willie Loomis. And that Grayson Hall had a face almost as skeletally exciting on screen as Barbara Steele's. Why Doctor Julia Hoffman ever thought there could be a romance between her and Barnabas is beyond me!

• Like 1

My best friend was a big fan of Dark Shadows. I

would watch it occasionally, but never really got

hooked. Even at the slow and repetitious pace of

soap operas, I missed too many things. I do seem

to recall they didn't spend a lot of dough on the

scenery. I would come home from school, make

fun of the soap opera my mom was watching

(she followed the NBC lineup), and then, after

she chased me from the room, go outside and

mess around.

mess around.

A few months back when Decades ran a Dark Shadows marathon I watched a lot it but the soap opera format doesn't work with back-to-back-to-back viewing of episodes due to the slow and repetitious pace.    e.g. I would watch 6 episodes (3 hours) and realize that the plot moved forward only 1\4 inch!     

Yea, the sets on Dark Shadows were cheap and the director didn't like to do retakes.   In this regards it was fun to see the mistakes made. 

mess around.

LOL!

I. too, watched part of that marathon last fall and it was slow going. The show seemed to move even slower than normal soaps. (It had far fewer characters and really no subplots going on, just a main story thrust). But it was fun, bloopers and all. I particularly enjoyed when Carolyn took up with a biker (BUZZ) to p-ss off her mom and threatened to marry him if Joan went through with marrying Jason Maguire. Too bad the marathon didnt cover the episodes set in the past. Some of those shows were good. (Angelique and all)

Frid was so great. I also loved John Karlen as Willie Loomis. And that Grayson Hall had a face almost as skeletally exciting on screen as Barbara Steele's. Why Doctor Julia Hoffman ever thought there could be a romance between her and Barnabas is beyond me!

I was always rooting for Julia to succeed with Barnabas, but it was not to be.

David Selby and Kate Jackson went on to big TV careers, and Joel Crothers and Christopher Bernau were soap stars until their untimely deaths from AIDS. I would have thought that Christopher Pennock, Lara Parker, and Donna Wandrey would go on to bigger careers. After Marie Wallace was written off Somerset (and the show went on to fail), she was never again cast in one of the soap biotch roles she could play so well.

I was always rooting for Julia to succeed with Barnabas, but it was not to be.

David Selby and Kate Jackson went on to big TV careers, and Joel Crothers and Christopher Bernau were soap stars until their untimely deaths from AIDS. I would have thought that Christopher Pennock, Lara Parker, and Donna Wandrey would go on to bigger careers. After Marie Wallace was written off Somerset (and the show went on to fail), she was never again cast in one of the soap biotch roles she could play so well.

I dont recall Pennock and Wandry on the show. I do remember Marie Wallace.  Do you remember the parts they played? I dont remember Christopher Bernau either. I might know him by his picture..........After the Quentin storyline played out, I was less interested by the later plots, though I did watch the show to the end (that had a poor wrap up as I remember)

A few months back when Decades ran a Dark Shadows marathon I watched a lot it but the soap opera format doesn't work with back-to-back-to-back viewing of episodes due to the slow and repetitious pace.    e.g. I would watch 6 episodes (3 hours) and realize that the plot moved forward only 1\4 inch!     

Yea, the sets on Dark Shadows were cheap and the director didn't like to do retakes.   In this regards it was fun to see the mistakes made. 

Maybe the slow pace made it easier to follow for housewives who

might have had to do housework. And maybe Dark Shadows went

halfsies with Star Trek on bargain basement scenery and props. I'm

probably more familiar with Days of Our Lives and Another World

than Dark Shadows.

I. too, watched part of that marathon last fall and it was slow going. The show seemed to move even slower than normal soaps. (It had far fewer characters and really no subplots going on, just a main story thrust). But it was fun, bloopers and all. I particularly enjoyed when Carolyn took up with a biker (BUZZ) to p-ss off her mom and threatened to marry him if Joan went through with marrying Jason Maguire. Too bad the marathon didnt cover the episodes set in the past. Some of those shows were good. (Angelique and all)

As part of the marathon I saw that episode that had Buzz and it was funny,  but I always suspected Carolyn loved bad boys.

According to Decades the character Barnabas wasn't introduced until the 2nd year.     I assumed those episodes were Maguire was blackmailing Mrs. Collins (Joan) were from that 1st year since that plot line had nothing to do with the supernatural \ Barnabas.   

I dont recall Pennock and Wandry on the show. I do remember Marie Wallace.  Do you remember the parts they played? I dont remember Christopher Bernau either.

Pennock was the grown-up version of some Satanic baby, with Marie Wallace the mother, I think. Bernau may have played the father. I am working from memory here. One issue with this show was that characters would die off, then come back as another character, so I may have some of these people/roles mixed up.

I think Marie Wallace also played a sort of "Bride of Frankenstein" in another incarnation.

The biker actor wasnt particularly convincing. I was kinda hoping Carolyn would go through with her threat as Joan couldnt stand the guy. (LOL).

I think Barnabas was introduced about 6 months after the show premiered. Ratings were declining and it was a last ditch effort to save the show (it did). Before that, the main storyline was Burke Devlin returning to town to get revenge on the Collins' (for going to jail for something or other that I think Roger did). Then there was the question of Vicky's paternity (that was never answered) and some ghosts floating around. Not much was happening...

Jason Maguire entered the show shortly before Barnabas was introduced and the storylines intertwined somewhat (with Willy being the bridge)...

When ever someone runs the show they always start with Barnabas and skip the episodes before he appeared, so it's confusing if you arent familiar with the show as to the past backstories of what went on before that....

Pennock was the grown-up version of some Satanic baby, with Marie Wallace the mother, I think. Bernau may have played the father. I am working from memory here. One issue with this show was that characters would die off, then come back as another character, so I may have some of these people/roles mixed up.

OK. Got it now.That was the Leviathon people? I started losing interest in the show around then..... Yes. the main characters played different characters in the 2 story arcs that played out in the past (Barnabas and Quentin).

Maybe the slow pace made it easier to follow for housewives who

might have had to do housework. And maybe Dark Shadows went

halfsies with Star Trek on bargain basement scenery and props. I'm

probably more familiar with Days of Our Lives and Another World

than Dark Shadows.

LOL. I remember one storyline that even I got bored with as a kid. Angelique put some sort of dream curse on Barnabas that every character had on the show (passing it on somehow to someone else and winding up on Barnabas at the end) It took FOREVER to play out and the dream sequence took up half an episode  each time someone had the dream!!!

I recall watching highlights of the Claus von Bulow trial, and there was a woman on the stand named Alexandra Isles who apparently was his mistress. It took me awhile to recognize her as Alexandra Moltke (Victoria Winters).

Dark Shadows debuted 50 years ago Monday (I feel OLD!) Below are some pics from the reunion over the wknd. Lara Parker and Kathryn Leigh Scott look great! (Click on the picture for many more pics)

http://kathrynleighscott.com/blogs/news/pictures-from-the-dark-shadows-50th-anniversary-celebration

I used to play hooky from school to see Dark Shadows.

I had a thing for Barnabas, Jonathan Frid.

Yeah, I believe it was 50 years ago because I was still in school.

I recall watching highlights of the Claus von Bulow trial, and there was a woman on the stand named Alexandra Isles who apparently was his mistress. It took me awhile to recognize her as Alexandra Moltke (Victoria Winters).

YES! That was her. She got caught up in all that and wound up testifying in both trials. I dont think she has ever appeared at Dark Shadows events over the years.  I think Moltke may have been her family name?  I dont know what happened to her after the von Bulow trials. I assume she retired and remarried or something.

I think Marie Wallace also played a sort of "Bride of Frankenstein" in another incarnation.

Yes, I remember there was an Adam storyline at one point.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings