Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hepclassic

Olivia de Havilland is 100 July 1st!

Happy Birthday to the enchanting Olivia de Havilland.  

Vanity Fair ran an article on her a couple months ago or so (sorry if this was mentioned) that is worth reading, also some lovely photos.  

Happy Birthday to the enchanting Olivia de Havilland.  

Vanity Fair ran an article on her a couple months ago or so (sorry if this was mentioned) that is worth reading, also some lovely photos.  

Many good things in the article but struck me as being (needlessly) snotty toward Joan Fontaine.

Having read quite a bit about both lovely and talented actresses, I have developed a strong sense that it was Joan always looking to provoke and prolong whatever bad blood existed. Only Olivia really now knows.

Contrary to what many think, I do think that Joan and Olivia privately resolved their feud at a lunch they had in 2003 in Los Angeles. I think they kept it public, and why Olivia still keeps it public, was because it made them relevant and people aware of them both, if not either seen for their extraordinary acting. After Joan died, it was revealed that the two would talk long distance on occasion, though given age and time zones, made it difficult for them to talk often. 

That could just be me. In the age of the celebrity feud, I think it was wise for Fontaine and De Havilland to maintain their public image and people's knowledge of them by keeping the feud going. I do hope that one day when Olivia departs the physical world, that both Fontaine and De Havilland will be known for more than just their feud to the modern public. 

JoanF-Rayn.jpg

2489068_orig.jpg

joan-fontaine-rx.jpg

• Like 2

Yep, and I'm kind'a surprised TO EACH HIS OWN (1946)  hasn't been mentioned earlier.

It was always one my favorites of Olivia's anyway.

(...she won her first Oscar for her role in this one, ya know)

For years TEHO was MIA, I don't know if it was a right's issue er whut.

It came up on the Messageboards and- LO AND BEHOLD- TCM started airing it soonafter. (COINCIDENCE?...probably, but still THANKS TCM!)

I've only seen it once and it was a while back. I wish I could say I could recall much about it other than liking it, and liking John Lund (although I get he can be weak) and being surprised at how long it was (2 hrs 15 minutes maybe?)

it's interesting to see how the subject of unwed motherhood was dealt with, in a very sympathetic way, in the postwar years. (this film, JOHNNY BELINDA, NO MAN OF HER OWN, some others I'm forgetting...)

• Like 3

...I'll also add that, in re: TO EACH HIS OWN, I think that, had the Members of the Academy known THE SNAKE PIT and THE HEIRESS were on DeHorizon for DeHavilland, they would've waited and given her back to back wins for those movies and let one of "the other girls" have a crack at best actress that particular year.

it's just that in 1946, Olivia would've won for anything because she had just publicly pimpslapped Jack Warner and changed the game for actors working in HOLLYWOOD.

I have to imagine she was very popular.

• Like 5

Having read quite a bit about both lovely and talented actresses, I have developed a strong sense that it was Joan always looking to provoke and prolong whatever bad blood existed. Only Olivia really now knows.

The feud will always be mentioned any time either of these two are discussed due to 1942 best actress Oscar nominations and the associated "older sister upstaged by younger sister" drama tied to that event,  regardless of how much  the media or either Joan or Olivia may have amped up the feud after that.        

Contrary to what many think, I do think that Joan and Olivia privately resolved their feud at a lunch they had in 2003 in Los Angeles. I think they kept it public, and why Olivia still keeps it public, was because it made them relevant and people aware of them both, if not either seen for their extraordinary acting. After Joan died, it was revealed that the two would talk long distance on occasion, though given age and time zones, made it difficult for them to talk often. 

That could just be me. In the age of the celebrity feud, I think it was wise for Fontaine and De Havilland to maintain their public image and people's knowledge of them by keeping the feud going. I do hope that one day when Olivia departs the physical world, that both Fontaine and De Havilland will be known for more than just their feud to the modern public. 

JoanF-Rayn.jpg

2489068_orig.jpg

joan-fontaine-rx.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! I think the "feud" was an on and off thing through the years. Not something that was ongoing constantly. The two lived separate lives and in their later years on different continents! Hard to keep a feud going with that much territory between you. It flared up from time to time like when their mother died..........

Is that Joan's daughter in the first pic, or just a friend?

You could be right. Reading her memoirs, it was easy to see Joan seeing herself as the victim and the put upon sister in their relationship. That kind of resentment festers over the years. It's always there under the surface. How true it may be is only known to them, but I'm certain Joan felt that way after reading her book.

You must see THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE! It is one of my favorite, favorite movies (my favorite Cagney film) and everyone else in the cast shines as well. Olivia is particularly entertaining in this, showing quite a flair for comedy and she pairs up very well with Cagney. And even though Rita Hayworth (the strawberry blonde of the title) is very alluring , Olivia's "plain girl" does not let Rita steal any scenes. Olivia de Havilland could do it all, a remarkable actress, I hope she is doing well and enjoying this milestone birthday.

Thank you Mr. Roberts for this post.  I typed in a similar one but hit the wrong button and lost it.  I agree with you 100%; it's one of my favorite Olivia movies.  While she was very beautiful it was an "approachable" kind that those of us not as glamorous as Rita could relate to and as girls dream of becoming.  I also disagreed with her regarding her WB roles that she often derided as "window dressing" parts.  She always showed intelligence and courage-Robin Hood's Maid Marian and Dodge City's Abbie Irving come to mind-and that won the hero as much as her looks.  This one is no exception; her love and faithfulness finally get through to her man over his "Dream Girl's" shallowness.  Thank you, Dear Lady, for being the role model you think you're not.     

You must see THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE! It is one of my favorite, favorite movies (my favorite Cagney film) and everyone else in the cast shines as well. Olivia is particularly entertaining in this, showing quite a flair for comedy and she pairs up very well with Cagney. And even though Rita Hayworth (the strawberry blonde of the title) is very alluring , Olivia's "plain girl" does not let Rita steal any scenes. Olivia de Havilland could do it all, a remarkable actress, I hope she is doing well and enjoying this milestone birthday.

I love The Strawberry Blonde.

Thanks for the pictures! I think the "feud" was an on and off thing through the years. Not something that was ongoing constantly. The two lived separate lives and in their later years on different continents! Hard to keep a feud going with that much territory between you. It flared up from time to time like when their mother died..........

Is that Joan's daughter in the first pic, or just a friend?

I think it was just a friend. I wanted to show both sisters in later age just because both aged gracefully. 

• Like 1

...I'll also add that, in re: TO EACH HIS OWN, I think that, had the Members of the Academy known THE SNAKE PIT and THE HEIRESS were on DeHorizon for DeHavilland, they would've waited and given her back to back wins for those movies and let one of "the other girls" have a crack at best actress that particular year.

it's just that in 1946, Olivia would've won for anything because she had just publicly pimpslapped Jack Warner and changed the game for actors working in HOLLYWOOD.

I have to imagine she was very popular.

I think its odd that To Each His Own (1946) is not available on DVD in the United States. I wonder if it's due to anything on Warner Brothers' end as to why. Do you think a petition is in order to get this finally put on DVD? I saw it on TCM ages ago, and if Robert Osbourne's influence has any impact on TCM's product sales, I would think he would want to see his friend Olivia's first Oscar winning performance on DVD. 

deh0-015.jpg

(Ideal caption: Robert, dear, can you be so kind and put my first Oscar win on DVD in the States? Thanks ,love.") 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure TO EACH HIS OWN was a Paramount movie.

Olivia was never nominated for anything she did at WB; her "Home" Studio.

• Like 1

...and rights issues or no, they seem to be settled as TO EACH HIS OWN is on the American Schedule for July 15 @ 12:15 am (ET) on TCM as part of her SOTM.

So EVERYONE: SHHHH! don't tell anybody if you find out they're not 'sposed to show it.

I'm pretty sure TO EACH HIS OWN was a Paramount movie.

Olivia was never nominated for anything she did at WB; her "Home" Studio.

I only brought up Warner Brothers because they have usually been responsible for the restoring and the distributing of classic movies. 

• Like 1

A true lady with class!

Though I was disappointed that TCM didn't do more on her special day. Where were "The Heiress," "Snake Pit" "Robin Hood?

You could be right. Reading her memoirs, it was easy to see Joan seeing herself as the victim and the put upon sister in their relationship. That kind of resentment festers over the years. It's always there under the surface. How true it may be is only known to them, but I'm certain Joan felt that way after reading her book.

I almost hate to compare movie royalty to "The Brady Bunch" (sorry, but I'm from that generation), but Joan seems like younger sister, Jan, whining "Marcia, Marcia Marcia!" about the over-achieving Olivia. Talk about clashing cultural icons.

A true lady with class!

Though I was disappointed that TCM didn't do more on her special day. Where were "The Heiress," "Snake Pit" "Robin Hood?

The Adventures of Robin Hood was the first movie scheduled to kick off Primetime on Friday.  

Don't worry, you'll see more Olivia. She's this month's Star of the Month.  She'll be featured every Friday night.

I almost hate to compare movie royalty to "The Brady Bunch" (sorry, but I'm from that generation), but Joan seems like younger sister, Jan, whining "Marcia, Marcia Marcia!" about the over-achieving Olivia. Talk about clashing cultural icons.

It must also be said that their feud could just be a product of their mother, who was very stage mothery, favoring Olivia because when their parents divorced, Joan stayed with him for a bit in Japan. It is possible that Olivia didn't see this but overheard her mother feel betrayed by her youngest. I don't know. 

All I know is that Olivia was showered with praise by her mother, and Joan had to earn it. At least that's my understanding of this ancient feud. 

A true lady with class!

Well she is the Star of the Month so I'm sure those movies are coming up on the Fridays coming up.

The Adventures of Robin Hood was on Friday the 1st. The Heiress & the Snake Pit are coming up on the 15th.

• Like 1

They always blame the mother....They always blame the mother!

That's true, they do. But, Fontaine and De Havilland are from the show business generation of Judy Garland and other victims of stage mothers. 

But, to their "class," I can't say that Fontaine or De Havilland have/had anything negative to say against their mother, but I don't know if that parental influence should be counted or not. I mean, sometimes Freudian psychology is true.