Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hepclassic

Olivia de Havilland is 100 July 1st!

I've seen HOLD BACK THE DAWN only once, on TV many years ago.  Too bad there has been no home video release.  TO EACH HIS OWN I have on VHS but also no DVD; would have been swell if they could get Olivia to do audio commentary.

THE HEIRESS i have seen dozens of times.  With each viewing I notice something new and different in her exquisite performance.  A look, a gesture, a movement.  The scene where she comes down the stairs in her new dress, just before she enters the room to see her father she does a little "shimmy" to move the skirt;  I always wonder WOW!  Did she come up with that herself? 

Miriam Hopkins is delightfully underrated.

• Like 1

It must also be said that their feud could just be a product of their mother, who was very stage mothery, favoring Olivia because when their parents divorced, Joan stayed with him for a bit in Japan. It is possible that Olivia didn't see this but overheard her mother feel betrayed by her youngest. I don't know. 

All I know is that Olivia was showered with praise by her mother, and Joan had to earn it. At least that's my understanding of this ancient feud. 

Yes, according to Joan, their mother always favored Olivia and was the cause of the discord. She ended her memoirs with a letter to her mother (who at that point was dead).........

• Like 1

I think it was just a friend. I wanted to show both sisters in later age just because both aged gracefully. 

OK. Thanks. Just wondered.

• Like 1

to-each-his-own-movie-poster-1946-102045

This movie needs a U.S. DVD release date this year or next. There is no excuse why we can't enjoy Olivia's first Oscar win. 

• Like 1

Yes, according to Joan, their mother always favored Olivia and was the cause of the discord. She ended her memoirs with a letter to her mother (who at that point was dead).........

I have been trying to find Fontaine's memoirs at my library and having no luck. There aren't any Olivia bios there either. 

I have been trying to find Fontaine's memoirs at my library and having no luck. There aren't any Olivia bios there either. 

I'm sure it's out of print. I did get a copy from another library and reread it about a year ago as I'd forgotten a lot of it. (Ours didnt have a copy either!) I guess if a book isnt checked out for awhile it goes to the Friends of the Library sale.....Have to make room for the new ones...

• Like 1

I'm sure it's out of print. I did get a copy from another library and reread it about a year ago as I'd forgotten a lot of it. (Ours didnt have a copy either!) I guess if a book isnt checked out for awhile it goes to the Friends of the Library sale.....Have to make room for the new ones...

Bummer. Well, next Amazon order maybe. 

I already have Suspicion (1941) and The Heiress (1949) on their way. I always make sure that for every Fontaine movie I have, I have a De Havilland and vice versa. Just because they were publicly intolerant of each other doesn't mean I shouldn't show equal respect for them. 

Bummer. Well, next Amazon order maybe. 

I already have Suspicion (1941) and The Heiress (1949) on their way. I always make sure that for every Fontaine movie I have, I have a De Havilland and vice versa. Just because they were publicly intolerant of each other doesn't mean I shouldn't show equal respect for them. 

LOL!  Glad you give them both equal time. :D

• Like 1

LOL!  Glad you give them both equal time. :D

I'm not their mother, I can appreciate them both equally. 

• Like 1

Olivia's book, Every Frenchman Has One was just reissued. I saw new copies on Barnes and Noble's website. It looks like you can buy used copies of Joan's book pretty cheap on Amazon through a third party seller.
  • Like 2

Olivia's book, Every Frenchman Has One was just reissued.  I saw new copies on Barnes and Noble's website. It looks like you can buy used copies of Joan's book pretty cheap on Amazon through a third party buyer.

Thanks. I don't usually buy books I haven't read, but I will happily make the exception if my other resources cannot accommodate. 

• Like 1

Thanks. I don't usually buy books I haven't read, but I will happily make the exception if my other resources cannot accommodate. 

I'm not following;    so you only read books you haven't purchased?   (e.g. you get them from the library or friend?).

Because if you 'don't usually buy books I haven't read' how to you read them in the first place?

Anyhow,  I have all of the Joan and Olivia books.   Every Frenchman Has One is a nice light read along the lines of an American in Paris.

I'm not following;    so you only read books you haven't purchased?   (e.g. you get them from the library or friend?).

Because if you 'don't usually buy books I haven't read' how to you read them in the first place?

Anyhow,  I have all of the Joan and Olivia books.   Every Frenchman Has One is a nice light read along the lines of an American in Paris.

I don't buy books until after I read them and liked them. I rarely buy books to read. 

• Like 1

I don't buy books until after I read them and liked them. I rarely buy books to read. 

Again,  how do you read them if you didn't purchase them?      I.e. what is the source that you are reading? 

Anyhow,  I tend to NOT buy books I have already read (e.g. a friend lends me a book,  or I read the book while on vacation that I found in a Bed and Breakfast etc...)    unless they are reference type books like The Films of Olivia De Havilland.

Again,  how do you read them if you didn't purchase them?      I.e. what is the source that you are reading? 

Some years ago, many towns and villages built buildings filled with books called libraries, where one can check out a book or two, read them, and then return them for no charge. Ask your local representatives about getting one in your town. ;)

• Like 3

Some years ago, many towns and villages built buildings filled with books called libraries, where one can check out a book or two, read them, and then return them for no charge. Ask your local representatives about getting one in your town. ;)

HAHA! 

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. I like to read books before i buy them. Libraries usually provide that. I rarely buy books I haven't read, and when I buy books, its because I don't want to constantly borrow them anymore from the library. I am the same way about DVDs.