Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule Up! Christopher Lee as SOTM

Looking over the schedule, it appears that TCM will be continuing their "Trailblazing Women" series.

Admittedly, horror is not among one of my favorite genres.  Hopefully I'll still find enough programming that will interest me.  I know that many here have expressed desire to see Christopher Lee honored.  I am indifferent to the selection, but I am glad that they chose someone different than in the past and that it is someone who is a pioneer of the horror genre.  

Oct 1

I like the primetime salute to the pairing of Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson.

Oct 2

All This, and Heaven Too

Oct 3

The Warriors.  An Errol Flynn film I haven't seen and not one that I believe that *I've* seen scheduled before.

Oct 4

The Mary Pickford documentary.  I'm not a big silent movie fan, but I like documentaries.  Pickford seems like she had an interesting life.

Ordinary People.  A movie featuring Mary Tyler Moore that I haven't seen, but I've heard good things about her performance.

Oct 6 

A Carole Lombard marathon.  Lombard is someone who I used to think was kind of annoying, but she's grown on me.  I'd like to see more of her films.

In Name Only, a Lombard and Cary Grant film that I haven't seen.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith.  Hitchcock's only comedy that I've heard mixed reviews about.  I haven't seen it yet.

Oct 8

Mad Love.  I missed this movie the last time it aired.  I like the idea of someone grafting someone's hands onto the wrists of a concert pianist. 

I laughed when I saw that the "Feel Good Romances" theme is followed by The Zodiac Killer.  Good one, TCM programmers.

Oct 11

Primrose Path.  This movie features Ginger Rogers and Joel McCrea.  I like the synopsis: "The youngest child in a family of prostitutes tries to go straight with a working man." 

Oct 14

The Cat and the Canary.  A Paulette Goddard movie that I haven't seen.  I've been trying to become more acquainted with her work.

Oct 15

The Chalk Garden. A Hayley Mills movie I haven't seen.

Oct 17

Rita Hayworth birthday tribute.  She's one of my absolute favorites.  I'm interested in Affectionately Yours.  It's the only film scheduled that I haven't seen.

Oct 18

A Miriam Hopkins birthday tribute.  I'm somewhat indifferent to her.  I like when Bette Davis shakes her in Old Acquaintance.  I am interested in The Stranger's Return and Lady With Red Hair

---

Most of the schedule is dominated by horror.  Which makes sense seeing that it's Halloween-time and all.

Looks like October will be used to try and watch the stuff that I've recorded over the past year Lol.  I'm still watching stuff I recorded from last year's Summer of Darkness!

• Like 3

Well, I'm very happy with the SOTM selection, and with the programming, overall.  Specifics:

Oct 2nd--"No Orchids For Miss Blandish" (1948) is being shown.  I've heard mixed things about this one.

Oct.11th--"Lilac Time" (1928) is being shown in the daytime.  Am delighted to see this Colleen Moore/Gary Cooper film on the schedule.

All four of Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu films are being shown, the same night, one after another.

Lee's version of "The Mummy" (1959) is being shown--I've always missed it, somehow.

One of Anna May Wong's silents, "Piccadilly" (1929) is being shown, with a 7th billed Charles Laughton.

A Japanese(?) silent horror film I've never heard of is being shown; 1926's "Kurutta Ippeiji".

Lots of Lee films to see, and old favorites on.

• Like 2

There are a handful of films I haven't seen that I would like too, like that Flynn movie The Warriors and a few of the Lee films. However, there are a lot of films that I have seen that I will recommend to those who haven't, when the time comes, such as House (Hausu), Wise Blood, both Lady Snowblood films, and several others.

• Like 2

There are a handful of films I haven't seen that I would like too, like that Flynn movie The Warriors and a few of the Lee films. However, there are a lot of films that I have seen that I will recommend to those who haven't, when the time comes, such as House (Hausu), Wise Blood, both Lady Snowblood films, and several others.

I look forward to your recommendations. I also see you changed your avatar to William Holden, one of my absolute favorites. I look forward to contributing to your thread on him if/when you create it :-)

The Lee tribute certainly could have been more diverse. I certainly would have loved The Wicker Man or Gremlins 2: the New Batch to have been included, and how about a few more non-horror titles: Airport '771941The Man with the Golden Gun or Arabian Adventure? Or how about The Return of the Musketeers, which reunited most of the original cast? I am happy that The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, which got left out of the Billy Wilder tribute, will be included here.

• Like 1

I echo filmlover's enthusiasm over LILAC TIME on October 11th. Hopefully it will be the restoration done of the film rather than a PD quality image. Gagman should be excited. Fans of Colleen Moore and Gary Cooper will enjoy the opportunity to see this WWI romance, even if parts of the film are a little laughable at times.

Cooper's last film, THE NAKED EDGE, is scheduled for October 17. An attempt at a Hitchcock type thriller, the results are decidedly middling but it will be a TCM premiere, I suspect.

These two films couldn't be more contrasting as far as Coop's appearance is concerned. He was only 27 when he made Lilac Time and pretty close to being pretty in the film. In his last film he was aging very badly (keep in mind he had the cancer that would kill him while filming this production in England).

112c419a29c7ce7ba7944ee49b1a5214.jpg

• Like 1

Every year we get a super month in the fall - either in October or in November.

This is a great October - the best Halloween month in years.

If November is anywhere near as good, my recorder will probably burn out.

• Like 1

A Japanese(?) silent horror film I've never heard of is being shown; 1926's "Kurutta Ippeiji".

It's better known as A Page of Madness:  TCM has shown it before.  It's well worth watching, it's very different from other silent movies, one of the first great Japanese movies in fact.

• Like 2

Ordinary People. A movie featuring Mary Tyler Moore that I haven't seen, but I've heard good things about her performance.

Moore lost the Best Actress Oscar to Sissy Spacek that year. When you watch Coal Miner's Daughter, it's easy to see why Spacek was nominated; it's the type of role that has Oscar written all over it. And Spacek is quite good; I don't think she was an unworthy Oscar winner.

But Mary Tyler Moore has to do something completely different, playing an emotionally cold mother who in many ways turns out to be the villain of the piece. It's difficult and not showy, but she pulls it off in spades. Timothy Hutton is the one who gets the showy role, and if anything, he's really the lead actor here even though his placement in the credits made him eligible for the Supporting Actor Oscar that he won. (Judd Hirsch actually got an Oscar nomination too, although I have to say he is good in his limited role.)

That having been said, I think it's Donald Sutherland who doesn't get enough credit for his part in Ordinary People. He plays the father desperately trying to keep peace, not understanding the family dynamic until it's too late to do anything about it. If anything he's a tragic figure here and, like Moore's performance, it's not the sort of showy thing that tends to get the notice of the Academy. Sutherland didn't get nominated at all, if memory serves.

I strongly recommend Ordinary People. I just hope your bathroom tiles don't need re-grouting.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Hitchcock's only comedy that I've heard mixed reviews about. I haven't seen it yet.

I'd call The Trouble With Harry a comedy, although it's certainly a dark comedy.

• Like 6

It's better known as A Page of Madness:  TCM has shown it before.  It's well worth watching, it's very different from other silent movies, one of the first great Japanese movies in fact.

It showed up last year, and I DVRed it. To be honest, I found it very hard to follow.

That having been said, I think it's Donald Sutherland who doesn't get enough credit for his part in Ordinary People. He plays the father desperately trying to keep peace, not understanding the family dynamic until it's too late to do anything about it. If anything he's a tragic figure here and, like Moore's performance, it's not the sort of showy thing that tends to get the notice of the Academy. Sutherland didn't get nominated at all, if memory serves.

You could probably win a lot of bar bets about how many times Donald Sutherland has been nominated for an Oscar. The answer is zero.

Although I'm not a horror movie fan, Christopher Lee is a great choice for SOTM. This will make a lot of people happy.

I'd like to see The Naked Edge, for Deborah Kerr as well as for Gary Cooper.

You could probably win a lot of bar bets about how many times Donald Sutherland has been nominated for an Oscar. The answer is zero.

Although I'm not a horror movie fan, Christopher Lee is a great choice for SOTM. This will make a lot of people happy.

I'd like to see The Naked Edge, for Deborah Kerr as well as for Gary Cooper.

I had never heard of The Naked Edge.    I would also like to see the film.   One reason to see if Cooper brings any energy to what was his last film role.     e.g. I feel Gable was in fine form in his last film The Misfits.

As for people being happy that Lee is SOTM:   Well I wonder how many actually feel Bela Lugosi should have been SOTM before Lee.     I only mention this since every fall some folks are always mentioning Bela as it relates to SOTM for October  (but since TCM doesn't feature many Universal films,  Bela isn't likely to ever  be SOTM).

• Like 1

Moore lost the Best Actress Oscar to Sissy Spacek that year. When you watch Coal Miner's Daughter, it's easy to see why Spacek was nominated; it's the type of role that has Oscar written all over it. And Spacek is quite good; I don't think she was an unworthy Oscar winner.

But Mary Tyler Moore has to do something completely different, playing an emotionally cold mother who in many ways turns out to be the villain of the piece. It's difficult and not showy, but she pulls it off in spades. Timothy Hutton is the one who gets the showy role, and if anything, he's really the lead actor here even though his placement in the credits made him eligible for the Supporting Actor Oscar that he won. (Judd Hirsch actually got an Oscar nomination too, although I have to say he is good in his limited role.)

I strongly recommend Ordinary People. I just hope your bathroom tiles don't need re-grouting.

Excellent analysis of Ordinary People. Sutherland was not nominated for it and most certainly should have been up for an Oscar. He gave a very powerful performance.

Although I am happy that Lee was chosen SOTM ( at least it is a horror star ) I still keep hoping  Lugosi will be chosen. He is way over due for this honor.  Yes, he was in a lot of Universal films but he was also in a lot of films that are in the public domain. TCM is showing Dracula in September and October. They are also showing quite a few Universal horror classics in August ( during Karloff's SUTS) and during October.    To showcase Lugosi would not be impossible ( afterall he was a SUTS honoree well over 10 years ago ).  As we Lugosi fans say every year ... maybe next year  :)

• Like 3

I had never heard of The Naked Edge.    I would also like to see the film.   One reason to see if Cooper brings any energy to what was his last film role.     e.g. I feel Gable was in fine form in his last film The Misfits.

Cooper had the cancer that would kill him within a year of making this film. One should not expect to see any particular energy in his last performance. In fact he looks, understandably, rather haggard and tired in this film. The actor did not find out that he was dying until, I believe, February, 1961, three months before the end.

oh yay!

I LOVE IT when they do horror stars in October (ie Vincent Price) and a SOTM for Mr. Lee just feels right in every way.

Oh Lord Have Mercy- are they showing CASTLE OF FU MANCHU?

PS- I know there's no way they're showing SCARS OF DRACULA...or am I wrong?

• Like 1

speedracer:

Admittedly, horror is not among one of my favorite genres.  Hopefully I'll still find enough programming that will interest me.  I know that many here have expressed desire to see Christopher Lee honored.  I am indifferent to the selection, but I am glad that they chose someone different than in the past and that it is someone who is a pioneer of the horror genre.  

LHF:

at least give some of the HAMMER Dracula films a looksie- I am VERY CURIOUS as to whether or not they will be showing the newly restored version of HORROR OF DRACULA that has extra footage of Dracula's decay at the end. I've seen all the HAMMER DRACULAS numerous times, they all frustrate me a little because they could so easily be better, but they all have great points- like the bombastic scores, great sets, and- especially in the case of DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE, some GORGEOUS cinematography.

it was directed by FREDDIE FRANCIS who was a MASTER CINEMaTOGRAPHER and a **** director.

draculahasrisen1.jpg

Oct 1

SPEEDRACER:

I like the primetime salute to the pairing of Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson.

LHF:

These two are good together. Carson was the real acting talent of the two though, he kills it in THE HARD WAY, a movie it took me a while to like.

Oct 2

SPEEDRACER:

All This, and Heaven Too

LHF:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!!!!!!!!

LOVE THIS MOVIE. Love Davis, Love Boyer, but I love, love, LOOOOVE Barbara O'Neil in her Oscar-nominated turn as the vicious, paranoid, clinging, scheming Duchesse du Praslin who draws her ruby-red claws when she feels threatened by kindly, meek, mild-mannered, and surprisingly non-smoking governess played by Bette ( hair parted aggresively down the middle, fine in her role, understated, but fine.) 

Davis and Boyer play well off one another, I think Helen Westley has a wonderful role as a kindly landlady and the production is exquisite. really one of my favorite films Bette did at Warner's. 

speedracer:

Mad Love.  I missed this movie the last time it aired.  I like the idea of someone grafting someone's hands onto the wrists of a concert pianist. 

I like this film a lot. Have you listed to any of Peter LORRE'S RADIO WORK? He does a version of THE BLACK CAT that is FABULOUS, and available online.

SPEEDRACER:

Primrose Path.  This movie features Ginger Rogers and Joel McCrea.  I like the synopsis: "The youngest child in a family of prostitutes tries to go straight with a working man." 

LHF:

A REally good movie, VERY PRECODE SENSIBILITY. Marjorie Rambeau is ASTOUNDING in her OSCAR NOMINATED TURN (she and O'Neil were co-nominees that year, the strongest i can think of in the history of the category.) 1940 is one of my favorite years for films,. and this film is a real eye-opener. i think Ginger won for this every bit as much as she did for KITTY FOYLE that same year. But the film BELONGS to Rambeau.

Oct 14

• Like 2

oh yay!

I LOVE IT when they do horror stars in October (ie Vincent Price) and a SOTM for Mr. Lee just feels right in every way.

Oh Lord Have Mercy- are they showing CASTLE OF FU MANCHU?

PS- I know there's no way they're showing SCARS OF DRACULA...or am I wrong?

The Castle of Fu Manchu is on October 10

Scars of Dracula is on on October 24. 

• Like 3

CHECK THIS ONE OUT PEOPLE, BUT BE WARNED:

IT WILL **** YOU UP FOR LIFE!

Oh, it's not that bad.

But it does have the best Dracula death scene of all the Hammer Dracula death scenes!

• Like 1

Scars of Dracula is really gruesome. It's got a scene where a priest is torn apart by vampire bats and a church full of women and children are torn apart by vampire bats, as well as some kind of kinky torture scenes between Dracula and his servant. There's a fair amount of sex in it too.

The ending is a hoot.

• Like 1