Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule Up! Christopher Lee as SOTM

At some point during the month, Nipkow Disc will start a thread complaining that TCM didn't show the print of whichever Dracula film it is that has five extra seconds of Christopher Lee disintegrating. Then he(?) will call them slackers in capital letters and bold print with an exclamation point followed by a laughy emoji. He will also say "doan" a lot.

Good Stuff:

Fat City ***

Jinnah ***

Spite Marriage ***

Ordinary People ****

Murphy's Romance ***

Bitter Victory ***

A Tale of Two Cities (1958) ***

Honeysuckle Rose ***

Hombre ***

Salt of the Earth ***1/2

The Chalk Garden ***

The Creeping Flesh ***

The Great White Hope ***

We Were Strangers ***

People Will Talk ***1/2

Scars of Dracula ***

The F.B.I. Story ***

Dead Man Walking ***1/2

Headline Shooter ***

Cheers for Miss Bishop ***

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) ***

Scream of Fear ***

• Like 3

Yes, I'm elated that Colleen Moore's LILAC TIME is on the schedule, but dubious of a daytime broadcast? This is in-fact a TCM Premiere. The film was restored a few years ago. The new restoration was screened in Chicago back in February. Last I knew they were still looking for three of the original Firn'aphone scoring discs. So this is a huge surprise. It's only been fairly recently that all 11 reels had been accounted for in 35 millimeter. This film has never been on DVD, or obviously Blu-ray before. Ben Burt and Fredrick Hodges whipped up a scaled down version of the original 1928 score for an L. A. Screening. So maybe that is what is being offered here. Problem is some of the music used is not Public-Domain fair. Such as the "Jeannine" melody which was composed by Nat Shilkrat. If it were a new print transfer I would think they would schedule this for a Prime-time broadcast. At the very least it might have debuted on Silent Sunday Nights. So who knows?

In addition looks like the brand new restoration of LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY (1925) in Prime-time. The last time TCM aired this about a decade ago, the print was dismal, and not the best available even at the time. The new restoration completed late last year is supposed to look spectacular. I really hoped that TCM would pick this up as it has always been my favorite Pickford feature. Likewise I hope they will run the new restoration of MY BEST GIRL.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

October is always a heavy month recording TCM since I love scary movies. Alas! I already have many titles!

I'm FUMING the Colleen Moore LILAC TIME originally scheduled 10/11 has been pulled!! C'mon, stop teasing us TCM!

Adding 10/3 THE WARRIORS (55) to my Error Flynn set, 10/6 FURY (36) for my Fritz Lang set and 10/15 THE CHALK GARDEN to my Hayley Mills set. Hope they're not too disappointing.

I love that TCM is showing all 3 notable DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE versions once a week: Barrymore, March & Tracey. All are great actors & this will be my first time seeing my beloved John Barrymore's version!

Thanks for mentioning 10/3 FAT CITY (72) it was an "iffy" title: love Huston's direction, love early Jeff Bridges, Candy Clark BONUS! (why didn't she become a bigger star?)

Another iffy was SNOWBLOOD. Lawrence-can you elaborate why you like this? I liked HAUSU, but most Japanese horror leave me cold, like GOKE BODY SNATCHER, meh. In your opinion, does SNOWBLOOD rank higher or lower than HAUSU?

I'm making a double feature of 10/1 TWO GUYS FROM TEXAS (48) with 10/12 NAVY BLUES (41) for a lighthearted all star extravaganza!

Also going to try 10/10 BITTER VICTORY (57) a Nick Ray WW2 drama that sounds different & could be great.

Aside from the old chestnuts, if you've never seen them, I highly recommend:

10/12 2:30AM PRINCESS TAM TAM (35) A fun (& topical) film starring the incredible Josephine Baker. 

10/9 3:30A THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN (77) For those who love MST3K BOGGY CREEK, here's another chance to see  another Charles B Pierce movie & the rare male cammeltoe. Another MST title early morning 10/22  THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE starring "Jan in the Pan" Sleazy fun!

10/14 CAT & THE CANARY haunted house story with fantabulous Paulette Goddard & Bob Hope pairing- a sure fire winner!

The 18th has great Miriam Hopkins classics, the best are pairings with Bette Davis.

The 26th has some great time travel movies including the excellent TIME AFTER TIME (79) and TIME BANDITS (81). I love most everything by Terry Gilliam.

And the 27th's early morning theme of "THREE" reflects one of my home made box sets "Comes in 3's"...I noticed 3 commonly used in titles too.

Both THE MARRYING KIND and THE LADY EVE are showing for speedracer! Don't miss 'em! 

• Like 6

Very disappointed to see that TCM has dropped LILAC TIME from their October 11th schedule. This was the ONE film coming on the channel that I was looking forward to more than any other for the past few months.

In fact, I was counting down to October just for this one film.

• Like 2

So the Chalk Garden is on the schedule? I hope that doesnt get pulled. Havent seen that film in many years.

i knew next to nothing about this movie until i read this and wiki'd it.

it looks pretty damned interesting. and based on a play by Enid Bagnold- who also wrote NATIONAL VELVET.

hope it doesn't get pulled...

If you like Deborah Kerr and Edith Evans, you'll probably like The Chalk Garden. Felix Aylmer has a nice supporting role as a judge who's an old suitor of Edith Evans. She refers to him as "Puppy."

Fury is worth seeing, too. Fritz Lang directing Spencer Tracy and Sylvia Sidney in a story about mob violence, based in part of an incident in California.

The October schedule is really well thought out, with different nights dedicated to different parts of Christopher Lee's career. The choices for the Trailblazing Women series are quite good, too.

• Like 1

It was great to see Sir Christopher Lee as the Star of the Month when I saw the monthly guide.

What would have made things even better would be if he had been featured on the cover of the guide. No offense to Lena Horne but Lee seemed a shoe in for that honor, since it is Halloween month and all. I guess it is difficult to make all happy as Lincoln once said.

If you like Deborah Kerr and Edith Evans, you'll probably like The Chalk Garden.

Deborah Kerr runs the gamut when it comes to my impressions of her, I think she's sometimes not good in not good films, like DREAM WIFE and THE HUCKSTERS; sometimes she's good in not-good films, like THE END OF THE AFFAIR and TEA AND SYMPATHY, sometimes she's just not quite right, like FROM HERE TO ETERNITY; sometimes she's on autopilot (AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER and, sorry, THE KING AND I come to mind) and- at least a couple of times, she hits the ball out of the park (as in THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA or BLACK NARCISSUS or- most especially- THE INNOCENTS.)

I wonder where you put Miss Kerr's performance in SEPARATE TABLES.  That is one that always fascinates me, as her Sybil makes me so nervous and puts me on edge, that I almost expect her to take her mother's broken eyeglasses and imbed them in Gladys Cooper's neck, slashing away and screaming "IT MADE ME SICK!  IT MADE ME SICK!"   She's not always very subtle or nuanced in the role, but I think it's just good acting.

• Like 1

I wonder where you put Miss Kerr's performance in SEPARATE TABLES. 

Believe it or not, I've never seen it.

!

I certainly will some day, I imagine...just, y'know, some films fall through the cracks of one's viewing oppurtunities.

EDIT: But it's only been within the past year or so that I first saw THE INNOCENTS, and- really- that film upped my opinion of her considerably, before I thought she was fine as an actress but one with limited range, many of her best performances being restrained- THE INNOCENTS really proved me wrong on that.

Believe it or not, I've never seen it.

!

I've only seen Separate Tables a couple of times, but for me, it's one of the best "ensemble cast" movies.  There were plenty of Oscar-nominated persons in it, and they all played their roles perfectly.  You might not expect Deborah Kerr to be able to pull off the part of a late teens-early 20's chick who is subservient to her mother, but it was a portrayal that took me by surprise, just like Grace Kelly's turn in The Country Girl.

Yes, the play had a number of the minor characters that are in the film.  The DVD has a fascinating Director's commentary.  It discusses the great reluctance of Wendy Hiller to take the role of Miss Cooper, who would now, in the film, be considered the fifth most prominent character when 4 stars took the lead roles.  Also,  May Hallatt who was the billiards playing Miss Meacham, was in the original London production, Broadway, and the movie.

• Like 1

October is always a heavy month recording TCM since I love scary movies. Alas! I already have many titles!

I'm FUMING the Colleen Moore LILAC TIME originally scheduled 10/11 has been pulled!! C'mon, stop teasing us TCM!

Blast! Hopefully this is because it's being rescheduled for a Prime-time Premiere. But more likely it's because no edition has been produced for broadcast. Again, last I knew they were still looking for 3 of the original Firn'a phone scoring discs. It is only fairly recently that all 11 reels were accounted for in 35 millimeter. Nonetheless, this is a film that TCM should be aware of. I'd like to see a restored version featured at the TCM Classic Film Festival in 2017. In 2009 TCM had a Dolores Costello picture GLORIOUS BETSY on the May schedule. Later it was discovered that the films Vita-phone score was missing. This seems somewhat of a similar situation.

I'm still excited about the Prime-time debut of the brand new restoration of Mary Pickford's LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY (1925) on the 4th.

12313868_10208418799257781_3964314390523

"Oh The Despair! No LILAC TIME (1928) on October 11th!"

• Like 2