Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October Schedule Up! Christopher Lee as SOTM

Hey gagman, don't make fun of us....I love Colleen Moore and just want more opportunities to see her films.

And SEPARATE TABLES has been on my wish list since Niven was star-of-the-month. Everyone lamented ST wasn't included and it hasn't been shown since that mention!

After that description, I want to see it even more! Wah!

(I recorded THE INNOCENTS but keep falling asleep trying to watch it at night. Waiting for a rainy afternoon, bonus if thunderstorm)

• Like 1

TikiSoo,

A condensed 50 minute (taking into account 10 minutes of commercials) Silents Please version of LILAC TIME ran on American Television in 1960. I have never seen it obviously since I wasn't born for another six years. However, I have first hand information that this did take place. I wonder whatever became of that version? In the 70's a 75 minute (still incomplete) version aired on various Public Broadcasting Stations. No idea what type of scores that these prints had.

LILAC TIME in the first 30 or 40 years after the Silent Era in Hollywood ended, was arguably one of the better remembered and beloved Silent films of the 20's. Subsequently, it has become increasingly obscure. It's high time this Silent Classic and Colleen Moore made a come back!

We are counting on Warner's and TCM to do this long unseen movie proper justice.

14355569_10210910761915290_5808062351937

I hope that those who have not seen Separate Tables have the opportunity soon to view it.  It really is one of my go to favorites, and on repeated viewings I can focus on different performances, given the large number of star roles and the various interactions in the larger group moments.  I mentioned that sometimes I like to just listen to the director (Delbert Mann) discuss aspects of filming on the DVD extra.  For example, he was furious that a song was recorded for the opening titles, a common occurrence in 50's films (Vic Damone singing "Separate Tables", what else?)  He was told that a song would not be used initially, so was shocked at a screening to hear it.  I personally think it's a pleasant tune.

Rita Hayworth, married to Burt Lancaster's production company partner at the time,  James Hill, was pertrified and intimated by her costars.  Despite this, Mann got a good, solid performance out of her, particularly in her intimate scenes with Lancaster.  She seems a bit more nervous and uncertain in the group scenes, but is ravishingly gorgeous; in my opinion at the height of her beauty, particularly in her stunning Edith Head outfits.  I think this was her last important film.

Wendy Hiller, upon winning her Oscar for the film, noted that much of her performance happened with her back to the camera.  I now watch the film and look for this, and yes, her back is to the camera quite a lot (but perhaps appropriately, given the actions and movement involved).

Anyway,  as noted previously, the ensemble work is first rate and the production values are first rate.

• Like 2

And SEPARATE TABLES has been on my wish list since Niven was star-of-the-month. Everyone lamented ST wasn't included and it hasn't been shown since that mention!

After that description, I want to see it even more! Wah!

Hopefully, these glowing insights to the film won't set you up for a letdown!  I never saw Pulp Fiction until three years after it was released.  I was looking forward to it since it got a lot of critical acclaim.  On the first viewing, I didn't understand what all the buzz was about.  I gave it another chance a few years later, and I liked it better the second time around.

just saw promo for WOMEN IN FILM forum/Spotlight/thingy with Ileanna Douglas and some big names (LA FONDA, Bette Midler.)

looks interesting.

For those that are interested, I've posted a list of the co-hosts for this series here: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/103793-october-2016-tcm-spotlight-trailblazing-women-part-ii/.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

At some point during the month, Nipkow Disc will start a thread complaining that TCM didn't show the print of whichever Dracula film it is that has five extra seconds of Christopher Lee disintegrating. Then he(?) will call them slackers in capital letters and bold print with an exclamation point followed by a laughy emoji. He will also say "doan" a lot.

Your wish came true see other thread

• Like 1

ORDINARY PEOPLE was replaced THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, which also features Mary Tyler Moore.  

Ah man.  I just got Thoroughly Modern Millie via Netflix, but I haven't watched it yet.  I'll have to get Ordinary People from there too apparently! Lol.