Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie - WW2 plane crash and crew were ghosts

LADY BRACKNELL. This noise is extremely unpleasant. It sounds as if he was having an argument. I dislike arguments of any kind. They are always vulgar, and often convincing.

CHASUBLE. [Looking up.] It has stopped now. [The noise is redoubled.]

LADY BRACKNELL. I wish he would arrive at some conclusion.

GWENDOLEN. This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.

--The Importance of Being Earnest, Act 3.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've just joined so that I can add to this, found the thread in a Goggle search and thought "Great, someone knows what it was called!!" only to find it's not so.   I have occasionally searched for it online and watched several bits of "Sole Survivor"; it's definitely not the William Shatner version, though I do remember it as "Sole Survivor"  because the ending was so poignant to the title.  The plot scenario outlined of neither the viewer nor the characters knowing that they're dead is correct. I recall that the tail gunner survived for a while but was the only undiscovered body at the end. having found the "LadyBeGood" story on here I watched a documentary on that and yes, the story is clearly there. It is definitely not:- mass hallucination, a ship or William Shatner but I would love to find it again.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Honestly, how many movies can there be about WWII-era bombardiers turned baseball-playing ghosts?

6 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

One

Two actually, Rich.

(...guess you've forgotten the other one titled "Take Me Out To The Crash Site")

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Two actually, Rich.

(...guess you've forgotten the other one titled "Take Me Out To The Crash Site")

Well, three if you count Angels in the Airfield. Your move.

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Well, three if you count Angels in the Airfield. Your move.

LOL

Okay then, how about: "A Guy Named Joe...DiMaggio"  ???

(...your move now) 

• Haha 2
  • 5 months later...

In mid WWII in the middle of a storm and at night the crew of a fatally damaged US light bomber bail out over the sea one by one (which turns out to be over the desert as they as hundreds of miles off course) and are spread out over miles

The pilot continues on and ditches in to the sea (the desert) because when he let the controls go to bail out, the plane went out of control, so he has no choice but to stay in the plane and ditch – they all survived

The crew took days or weeks to make their way back to the plane and once there find the pilot sat under the tail section where he has made a canopy out of canvas

They take it in turns telling of their efforts to get back to the plane and a few then have a game of catch with a baseball

A few days later they draw straws and two try to march out, the others pass the time playing baseball, but men return as just do a big circle and end up back at the plane days or weeks later

They draw straws again and two more men try to march out, more baseball,  but the marchers just do a big circle and end up back at the plane days or weeks later and this goes on

The film is deliberately vague on time

Then a plane, which no one recognises flies over, so they shout, scream and signal to the plane with tins and glass and a mirror and the plane sees them and signals with a slight wave of the wings and flies off, then returns a few days later in a helicopter carrying British and American oil executives and oil workers  who spread out and walk around the crash site and beyond with all talking at once

Here where they are all talking a very faint hue of colour barely noticeable fades in

This is where you start noticing thing are a bit odd through what you see and the conversations, such as how come all the crew get back to the plane at the same time? and no one has made and eaten food or drank anything in the first half of the film

Finally a British oil worker picks up a tin in the desert and we have a flash back to where he is on his plane and spotted the sun bouncing off this tin rolling in the sand blown by the wind a few days earlier, yes that`s right it was that tin and not the downed airman with the mirror etc he saw and it changes to full colour

It flashes back to show how the bailed out crew made their way to the plane dying of thirst and injuries on the way, but they didn`t realise it (and nor do we) and it is back to black and white

The pilot sheltered under the tail with an injury from the crash while waiting for his friends, but the tail snapped off killing him, but he didn`t realise it (and nor do we)

It takes a long time for them to realise that they cannot be seen or heard, and are at first confused and then in denial that they are dead

The film is deliberately vague on time, because it is over 17 years for us and the oil men, but only weeks or months for the airmen

Then we have flashback to how each died mixed with how they are found 

None of the airmen say another`s name, they are dead ghosts what use is names, and when the dog tags are found a shout of "Here`s the navigator" or "here`s the gunner" 

It wasn`t the bodies that needed to be found, it was the dog tags, they are the key to it all, and as each dog tag is found the airman owner wanders out in to the desert and vanishes, the last one being under the broken tail section, the owner of those dog tags the Captain is trying to tell the investigators to look under the tail but they can`t see or hear him, the terror on his face in the thought of being abandoned, so he is left behind on his own when they have to leave - he is "The Sole Survivor", but that is not the name of the film, it is not in black and white or colour it is both (more room to cause arguments and debates) and it is not staring Captain Kirk and Admiral Nelson, they would cost most of the film budget, they are unknown English actors with American accents, 90% of it is filmed on a made up set of a crashed plane set in a dip surrounded by mounds of sand  

When it is from the point of view of the airmen it is black and white, when they are all together talking it is from both points of view so there is a hue of colour and when from the oil men`s point of view it is in colour

The film is designed, so that no matter how many times you watch it you will always noticed something new that you had missed, thus making you go back to the cinema over and over again and the money spent is on creating the atmosphere rather than, actors wages, location filming and high quality film

The Lady Be Good vanishing in 1943 causing a great stir and held huge interest around the world, so many radio plays, plays, short stories, books and films were made either about it or built off of it and all have bits of the other stories in them, that is what makes it so confusing and has had so many people arguing for over 60 years

Sole Survivor 1970 is OK = https://www.military-stuff.org/war-movie-sole-survivor-1970

The Twilight Zone - King Nine Will Not Return 1960 is shorter but a stronger story and can be found on Dailymotion

As you are probably aware by now, only dead airmen are allowed to know the name of this film, as to know would curse you to join the captain for eternity

The Captain

P.s will somebody please look under the tail

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the answer to this mystery, but I would like to offer hope that your memories of it aren't mass hypnosis: I read a sci-fi/horror story in 1968 that really captured my imagination. I searched for it on and off over the years, and last year found mention of it in a chat room. Other people have been looking for it too! It's similar to Ray Bradbury's Fever Dream -- in fact, it may well have been inspired by it, but it's definitely NOT Fever Dream. Anyway, through a series of odd twists and turns, I now have a scan of the story from the magazine in which it was published. 

My point is, just because it hasn't been found yet doesn't mean it doesn't exist.