Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Remember this western?

soggydog

Hi - can anyone remember a western, late 50's, or 60s, where the officer in charge of a cavalry party chasing a war party who abducted a family, praised the bravery of a trooper who, while escaping from injuns, took his own life and the childs he just rescued rather than risk torture (I think you saw the trooper take his own life)

I remember that the trooper was escaping in an open wagon, persued by the war party. I remember this from my childhood but can't find it anywhere - but's its a well known film !

Help! Please !!

What I believe you are searching for is Ulzana's Raid, which is full of harsh, yet authentic-feeling, action sequences, as well as a Burt Lancaster performance among the very best of his career. Don't forget Jorge Luke as the Cavalry scout, Ulzana's brother-in-law.

Great movie,never aired here.Not on DVD.

bunky

I agree with Bunky's suggestion and assessment. The scene you describe is characteristically brutal, one of several in this film. Under pursuit and desperate, the trooper shoots the mother and then himself to avoid capture and torture. Included is the telling scene of the young son kneeling by his mother as the Apache warriors ride placidly by.

This film presents a gritty, unapologetic depiction of the live and times in the Southwest of the 1880s. Good performances by Lancaster and Bruce Davison. One of my favorite actors appears as a trooper, the late Richard Farnsworth. It shows up on Encore Westerns fairly often, but my 2004 Movies Unlimited catalog does not list it for sale. Perhaps it's been released since then.

Thanks - you hit the nail on the head. Now you mention it it was the mother who died and I too remember the scene where the Indians ride past the son. Thirty years passed, but it remains in my mind.... evidence of the power of Cinema.

Thanks again

Martin

Archived