Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
nyz

Blacula

Does anyone remember that Movie i believe from the 70's that had the first black vampire for some reason that movie has stayed with me. It was a ok movie and opened the way for a vampire of another race, pretty cool idea.

Yes! This is a fun movie. Though the sequel Scream Blacula Scream is not as good I somehow like it more. Probably for the presence of Pam Grier as a voodoo preistess who tries to help Blacula. I like the realistic reactions of some of the characters (as when a woman turns around to see her now vampire boyfriend baring his fangs she says "Get those fool teeth out of your mouth! What do you think this is, Halloween?" Of course then he bites her.) The video box for the sequel shows a picture of Pam Grier from the movie Coffey where she is holding a shotgun. However Scream Blacula Scream does not showcase the butt kicking Pam Grier fans know and love, but it portrays her more sensitive side. Good fun all around!

I too like "Scream Blacula Scream" better than "Blacula." To me, the first one has a dumb "vampire finds his reincarnated lover" plot, which nearly every Seventies vampire movie was afflicted with and which drives me up the wall. "SBS" has better humor and has a terrific climax.

That reincarnated lover plot has only been done more with the Mummy. No matter how many Mummy movies are made they all follow that plot line. Though there was one that TCM shows once in a great while about a sort of vampire mummy. I think it's called The Pharoah's Tomb. As far as I can remember it doesn't have anything to do with reincarnated lovers, though I would have to see it again to be sure.

I have to stick with the original "Blacula" as my favorite.

For one, it's just far more genuine horror in my opinion. The female vampire's attack in the coroner's office is creepy, as is the warehouse of vampires they encounter in the end. It seemed like they were more reaching for some of those old-time vampire movie thrills instead of the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo of the second film.

Although that scene in "Scream Blacula Scream" where her girlfriend rises out of the coffin and goes after Pam Grier was nicely done and sorta creepy, followed then by a grand entrance (with accompanying thunderclap no less!) by Blacula.

Mumwaldi himself was a far more sympathetic character as well in the first film in my opinion, I was rooting for him all the way. In the second film I just wanted them to hurry up and wrap the whole thing up already, I didnt care how it ended.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for an old fashioned ghoul meets girl love story

When they did "Dracula" on CBS with Jack Palance as Dracula, they had him seeking Mina as the reincarnation of his lover from the days when he fought the Turks. There were other reincarnation vampire films as well, as a way to make the vampire sympathetic.

Bram Stoker's Dracula, directed by Francis Ford Coppola starring Gary Oldman had the same plotline. It's been a long time since I read the book and I can't remember if it did the same as well. It probably did.

I really liked Louis Jordan as Dracula also in the PBS miniseries, but I too have to go with Scream Blackula Scream over Blackula, it was faster paced and I also agree with Pam grier being a huge part of it's appeal.