Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Spielberg's "The BFG" has some magical moments, despite...

spence

By now many have likely heard that legendary filmmaker: *Steven Spielberg's new epic fantasy release "The BFG" has tanked with moviegoers.

Something I can't fathom? It only grossed-(domestically only) $18 million over this weekend?

& it's immensely expensive, at approx. $135m. or so. & all of it's perfectly up there on the silver-screen too! I've been an *Oscar oddsmaker since 1982-(was ony 18 at the time) & they are actually easier to forecast than movie releases at the $Box-0ffice$

I only just went to it yesterday & always said, just because your local theatre,etc has little response-(there weren't a lot of folks in the theatre for it) that you never know overall how well a new pic. does that weekend & such, but this is obviously the case this time out

It's most similar to his classic "E.T."-(same lady co-wrote both) but is not in the same league, despite it having some marvelously magical moments

*Oscar winner: *Mark Rylance-(just won s. actor last yr for *Steven's "Bridge of Spies") is perfecto in the title role, along w/of course CGI & expect *John Williams magical score to probably earn him his 51st nomination! & as for Visuals, "A LOCK!"

I think it's good, but not great *Spielberg. He's had a few that didn't go threw the $roof$ before i.e. "Empire of the Sun" ($22m.) "Always" ($27m.) "Amistad" ($44m.)

& just knew though that "F. Dory" (***1/2) would continue it's reign as leader & seems poised to become the highest grossing animated film ever, over 2004's "Shrek II" ($437m.)

It's close, but I rate this slightly better, or more interesting (***1/2-out of 4 stars) You judge for yourself of course THANX

• Like 1

Also, if you can still find it, check out the last EW magazine, it has a great story w/him, as he takes the interviewer along on his old stomping grounds at Universal City Studios in Burbank, CALIF.

I'm not really surprised. I thought it looked terrible, although I know it received glowing reviews from many critics. The effects looked goofy in the trailer, and the story didn't look like anything I'd be interested in. It also looked like a kids movie aimed at kids from 2 or even 3 generations ago, and not kids today. I know that shouldn't be a factor, and that if a film or story is good that an audience should find it regardless. Maybe this will become a cult favorite in the future. But look at what kids movies are huge hits nowadays and you'll notice they have little in common with what was being offered in The BFG trailer. And while I know it's a beloved Roald Dahl book, the title stinks, especially when the term "BFG" has been used to denote "Big F***** Gun" for the past 25+ years.

• Like 1

Since "BFG" is a flop, guess there's no hope of bringing "Stumbo" to life.

stumbo.jpg

Actually ham, remember 1999's...

The+Iron+Giant+%281999%29+1.jpg

?

I'll betcha ya do, doncha?!

(...now THERE'S ya a movie about a giant that's pretty darn good)

Since the TV trailers I've seen also refer to it as "The Big Friendly Giant", I amusingly thought of the CBC children's program my friend's kid brothers and sisters, and MY kid sister would watch( as being in Detroit gave us access to Canadian television programming) called "THE FRIENDLY GIANT".  At the beginning of each show, the camera would focus on actor BOB HOMME's foot and travel up to his smiling face as he said, "Look up.  Up.  ALLLL the way up!" And stop on his warmly smiling face.

The show ran for 27 years starting in 1958.  And my sister never missed it! LOVED it.  Since it began 24 years before Roald Dahl published his book, I wonder where the show's creators got the idea?

Any Canadian members here recall the show?

Oh, and I have no plans on going to see the movie.

Sepiatone

I'd hardly call hack Spielberg "legendary" as a filmmaker, nor anything he's made considered "epic".

While you could argue that's just my opinion, I think most Cinephiles concur he's just a lightweight TV director whose had spotty success with feature films. 

I too, think with all today's texting jargon, the title chosen is unfortunate.

TIKI, although I'll disagree with you as to Spielberg's status as a film maker, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the unfortunate title.

It's BAD ENOUGH that there are actually people who SAY "OMG", and now it's got to the point to where ANY nominally intelligent person will need to deciher  MOVIE TITLES?

OY!

Sepiatone

Despit it's less then steller $$$ performance in north American movie theaters, it may do a bit better-(overall) internationally, but still by no means what most of his flix do w/moviegoers

Although, last yrs "Bridge of Spies" (***) only hit $70m. but it wasn't that $pricey$ & of course they are (2) different types of productions

(Revised score (***-out of 4)

& my least fav. of his 1991's "Hook" ($116m.) & (**)

THANX!

I'd hardly call hack Spielberg "legendary" as a filmmaker, nor anything he's made considered "epic".

While you could argue that's just my opinion, I think most Cinephiles concur he's just a lightweight TV director whose had spotty success with feature films. 

I too, think with all today's texting jargon, the title chosen is unfortunate.

"A HACK?" What about *"Schindler?"

TIKI, although I'll disagree with you as to Spielberg's status as a film maker, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the unfortunate title.

It's BAD ENOUGH that there are actually people who SAY "OMG", and now it's got to the point to where ANY nominally intelligent person will need to deciher  MOVIE TITLES?

OY!

Sepiatone

Now, don't tell me! Lemme guess here, Sepia! 

"Old Yeller"???

(...wasn't that another movie acronym you were goin' for there?)

;)

• Like 1

I don't know why the choice of title is being debated so much. It's the name of Roald Dahl's book that this film is based on.

While I haven't seen the film, I can comment that it is a beloved childhood book, at least among my generation. I can't speak for previous or later generations, but among the 30-somethings, this is nostalgia.

With that said, based on the reviews I've seen, this will probably be a Red Box rental for me.

I don't know why the choice of title is being debated so much. It's the name of Roald Dahl's book that this film is based on.

While I haven't seen the film, I can comment that it is a beloved childhood book, at least among my generation. I can't speak for previous or later generations, but among the 30-somethings, this is nostalgia.

With that said, based on the reviews I've seen, this will probably be a Red Box rental for me.

Oh, you mean an "RBR", speedy???  ;)

• Like 2

I didn't even know Spielberg had a new movie coming out until I read this thread.  Fancy that. 

I'm coming out with my own new movie -- albeit on a smaller budget.  About people walking dogs near fire hydrants.  It'll be called 'K9P'.  (Gotta be better than HOOK leastaways, eh?

• Like 1

I didn't even know Spielberg had a new movie coming out until I read this thread.  Fancy that. 

It....hadn't been promoted very well.  

First the teasers played hide-and-seek with the title character, and then when they showed us, we all went "Eewww!"  (He's supposed to look like that, as we see from the scene with the child-drawings, done very intentionally in the style of the classic Quentin Blake illustrations from the book.)

Me, I went to see it A) because, unlike some people in North America, I remembered the book from fourth grade, and B ), literally just to p*ss off Variety's columns saying "Well, that's it, it opened third, it's the flop of the year, what is Spielberg is going to do now that his career is over and he'll have to roll over and die, etc.?", just because the fan-geek horror movie happened to be opening first that week.

It's very definitely Spielberg dipping his feet into the Whimsical British Fantasy water as a labor-of-love to Melissa Matheson, to the point of "What if Spielberg directed a Harry Potter movie, with John Williams music intact?"  I'll even go so far as to say this IS the movie that Fantastic Beasts delusionally wishes it was and will never, ever be.

Give it a try now that the fuss is over...What are you going to watch this July, the Ghostbusters remake?    :P

• Like 1

I'm coming out with my own new movie -- albeit on a smaller budget.  About people walking dogs near fire hydrants.  It'll be called 'K9P'.  (Gotta be better than HOOK leastaways, eh?

Think they beat you to it. :lol:

Now, don't tell me! Lemme guess here, Sepia! 

"Old Yeller"???

(...wasn't that another movie acronym you were goin' for there?)

;)

Good one there, Darg!

But then again, for all you know, I could have been referring to the late '70's album by The Jan Hammer Group named  "Oh, Yeah?"

But to further digress a bit( and on this), my nephew, whose son is an avid "nosediver", said the son sent him a text which contained the following acronym---"DITH".  Confused the Dad until the son cleared it up.  It stood for---"Damn It To Hell"!

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings