Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tylerminkis5

Suggest a Movie

Maybe this has been tried before:

Every day or week, someone should list a movie they want to be requested and everyone should suggest that movie constantly, so maybe TCM will get the point.

my first suggestion: The Dark at the Top of the Stairs (1960)

directed by Delbert Mann

with Angela Lansbury and Shirley Knight and Robert Preston and Eve Arden.

Sounds like a good idea to me

I have a suggestion

Laura

starring Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price and Clifton Webb

I am aware TCM does not as yet have the rights to show these (2) *Spencer Tracy classics. Well, one is a classic anyway, the other is his debut is all. 1930's "Up the River"-(at then just Fox Studios) & 1933's "A Man's Castle" (Fox) & TCM aired-it, must have been a year ago. 1960's good (***) but great music score "Home from the Hill" Mitchum, Deborah Kerr. & I know TCM only shows theatrical films, but *Cagney's very final 1984 "Terrible Joe Moran!" He could barely speak the dialogue & you can see his lines dubbed. & yes, this is even after '81's great "Ragtime."-(NOTE: I know my friend cocktailsany1, would find the latter 2 of interest!) Almost forgot & It's by no-means a great pix. It's actually a bit of a dud (*1/2) But Natalie Wood's penultimate film: 1980's "Last Married Couple in America"

I just went to their "Suggest a Movie" and suggested Dark at the Top of the Stairs. It seems like you and others have been suggesting this at least since 2003, but I wonder if anyone at TCM is listening. How else can we get through to them? A personal letter to Ted Turner??

I was really hoping to see the movie Harriet Craig on TCM. It is hard to find the movie in stores. The only place that you can buy it is on amazon.com, but it is too pricey for me. I heard it was a really great movie and my mom (who hasn't seen the movie, but has also been waiting to see it) and I would really love it if we could see that movie.

Thanks!

we're listening and we license what we can from the suggestions

we have played "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs," but that was back in 2000

I personally would like to see more Joel McCrea movies shown. Especially the ones from the early to mid '30's.

One movie a month? OK here is mine:

Demon Seed

Julie Christie is the wife of a brilliant scientist who finds herself forcibly impregnated by a computer that has developed evil ideas of its own. D: Donald Cammell (1977)

Genre: Sci Fi Movie

Actors: Julie Christie, Fritz Weaver, Gerrit Graham, Berry Kroeger, Lisa Lu

Director: Donald Cammell

Date Released: 1977

Aspect Ratio: Letterbox

Colour: Colour

Next Showing: Thursday, October 27, 23:25 on TCM UK.

I have suggested The Awful Truth be aired by TCM and its on the January schedule. So, thanks for listening TCM Programmer!

Well TCM airs The Awful Truth at least twice a year anyway..... I want to see someone suggest a movie TCM hasn't shown and then shows it.....

I did suggest THE COWBOY QUARTERBACK, starring Bert Wheeler, and that's on the schedule for this month.

Don't know if my request was actually the one that got it on or not but I'm happy to see it just the same. (Never have seen it before - also for Marie WIlson fans!)

I've often thought that movie and HOLD 'EM JAIL also starring Wheeler and Robert Woolsey would be a good double feature. Especially during football season! I don't know the last time HOLD 'EM JAIL was aired.

There are four films I'd really like to see, three of them fly under the RKO banner but I don't know if they've ever played on TCM because of rights issues or print quality...

7 KEYS TO BALDPATE and YOUNG DONOVAN'S KID both starring Richard Dix, WINTERSET starring Burgess Meredith.

I'd really like to see a good quality print of SO THIS IS AFRICA starring Wheeler and Woolsey. I heard TCM aired it a long time ago but that's a Columbia feature. The only one W&W did outside of RKO.

Yancey Cravat

I would like to suggest the version of IMMITATION OF LIFE with Lana Turner,Sandra Dee and that good looking John Gavin!! This movie breaks my heart every time I see it.

well I want to see The Silver Cord again. I remember its being just wonderful, very adult.... with Irene Dunne, JoelMcCrea, Frances Dee, Eric Larsen, and Laura Hope Crews..... and Remember the Night with Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Beulah Bondi, Elizabeth Patterson, and Sterling Holloway..... To my knowledge TCM has show these ONCE in ten years......

The Silver Cord is a wonderful movie. I was finally able to find a dvd copy of it and added it to my collection. But it would be nice if TCM would air it again, along with some of Joel McCrea's other films, so I could get a better copy. So if you're listening TCM, PLEASE show The Silver Cord sometime soon.

I've raved about these two movies many times so I'll do it again, since our TCM programmer seems to be reading this topic:

(1) Sunnyside Up (1929). This is a Paramount movie so it'd probably have to be licensed but it's fascinating to see Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell work together in this revolutionary movie. The camera is never static. The songs are charmingly natural with no histrionics and the two love birds are adorable. Marjorie White steals all of her scenes as the girlfriend who belts over her vaudevillian numbers with gusto.

(2) One Night of Love. (Columbia Studio). Grace Moore shimmers as the young American girl who goes to Italy to become a great opera star. The Madame Butterfly and Carmen numbers showcase this electrifying talent. This was Moore's greatest role before her tragic death in a plane crash in l942 while enroute to entertain the military men and women at an army base.

(3) Corridor of Mirrors. This very stylish Rebecca type English film from l948 played all over the Late Shows during the early 50s. Edana Romney portrays a beautiful woman who meets a strange man in London and she visits him in his bizarre house. He introduces her to an eerie life-style that is far different from her role as a mother of two children and wife of a boring husband. Kind of like "Brief Encounter" with an eerie twist. Stunning photography, costumes and lighting, this one stays with you long after it's over.

I have a suggestion for TCM Imports. "The Gadfly" is one of the greatest movies to come out of Soviet Russia. Based on the classic Russian novel that probes the ideologies of religion, philosophy, and politics. Best of all, it has a musical score by none other than Dmitri Shostakovich, one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.

tylerminkis, The Dark at the Top of the Stairs sounds like a great one- Eve Arden and Angela Lansbury- what a combo!

My two suggestions were Made For TV films that were released to theatres in Europe. They were made by PAUL WENDKOS, best known for the film THE MEPHISTO WALTZ.

BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL Starring Glenn Ford, Dean Jagger. 1970

rights held by Warner Brothers.

FEAR NO EVIL Starring Louis Jourdan, Carrol O'Conner, Wilfrid Hyde-White,

Linda Day George. Universal/MCA 1969.

both are really excellent movies.

i would like to request The Belle of New York (1952) since I record all the movies i want off TCM and i would like to have that one and Les Girls (1957)

I'd like to see TCM show Mandalay (1934) with Kay Francis, The Temptress (1926) with Greta Garbo, Hold Back the Dawn (1941) with Olivia de Havilland, and any of Marion Davies' silent movies (except Show People (1928)) and any of Norma Shearer's silent movies (except He Who Gets Slapped (1924) and The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg (1927).

Speaking of movies that have been requested, they are finally showing A Foreign Affair again in January! Hooray! Thanks TCM.

Tracey