Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where have I heard this before?

I am certain that I have heard that Cary Grant was offered the lead in the film MY FAIR LADY, and he responded that Rex Harrison should get to reprise his stage role, and that if Harrison wasn't given the role, he wouldn't even see the film.Last night Ben said that Grant was offered the lead in THE MUSIC MAN, and Grant said that if Robert Preston wasn't given the role, he wouldn't even see the film. Was this Grant's usual response when he turned down a role?

I don't ever recall hearing or reading either of those before. 

Could be some kind of "urban legend".  But if true, it shows how Grant obviously had better judgement than the studio heads of the time!

I can't imagine anybody else doing either role than who was inevitably chosen.  Watched a bit of MUSIC MAN last night and was thinking about how Preston just seemed to OWN the role!

Sepiatone

I also had heard that about Cary Grant and "My Fair Lady."  But I had never heard that about "The Music Man."  Speaking of that movie, I've always considered it a real crime that Robert Preston was not even nominated for an Oscar for that.  Who else could have been better?  Well, that was not the first time that something like that happened.

Terrence.

• Like 3

Well...just slightly off the topic - but another film Grant was offered was Arabesque... According to an interview with Gregory Peck the whole Sophia Loren - Cary Grant thing became problematic and Grant turned it down.  Peck complained that it was fine for Grant - but that chase through the cornfield became a real issue for Peck, as Grant was in better shape and Peck had arthritis... :)

Well...just slightly off the topic - but another film Grant was offered was Arabesque... According to an interview with Gregory Peck the whole Sophia Loren - Cary Grant thing became problematic and Grant turned it down.  Peck complained that it was fine for Grant - but that chase through the cornfield became a real issue for Peck, as Grant was in better shape and Peck had arthritis... :)

Yeah, well, don't get me wrong here as I usually like Greg Peck whenever he's cast in a role that fits him, but I've seen ARABESQUE, and sorry, besides that whole arthritis thing you mentioned, I believe that movie would have been better if Grant had taken the role.

And the reason I believe this is that Grant was much more capable in delivering little "throw away" lines that help create comic relief in suspense/adventure films like this Donen film is supposed to be than Peck ever was.

(...and re DGF's original thought here...nope, while I have heard Grant was offered the Henry Higgins role in the MFL movie version, I too have never heard that he was also offered the Harold Hill role, and so I wonder if Ben or whoever wrote his intro last night might've gotten their wires crossed a bit and confused the story between these two films...although I suppose there is always the possibility that this did take place with the casting of THE MUSIC MAN movie too)

• Like 1

Better shape? He must have had good genes. Grant never did any exercise

Better shape? He must have had good genes. Grant never did any exercise

Yeah, well, I HAVE heard that taking LSD will sometimes create a biological reaction within some people that mimic an increase in endorphins one experiences after a rigorous physical workout. ;)

(...but I wouldn't of course have any firsthand knowledge of this, as Jack Webb would keep me on the straight and narrow after I saw that one Dragnet 1969 episode where he called the stuff "the bomb" as I recall)

LOL 

Yeah, well, I HAVE heard that taking LSD will sometimes create a biological reaction within some people that mimic an increase in endorphins one experiences after a rigorous physical workout. ;)

(...but I wouldn't of course have any firsthand knowledge of this, as Jack Webb would keep me on the straight and narrow after I saw that one Dragnet 1969 episode where he called the stuff "the bomb" as I recall)

LOL 

One of the mantras of cardio exercise gurus is "Earn your Highs". They are obviously thinking about Timothy Leary.

• Like 1

One of the mantras of cardio exercise gurus is "Earn your Highs". They are obviously thinking about Timothy Leary.

Hey, DGF! Speakin' of Leary here...

About a year ago or so, I saw the following documentary film about the guy and his close friend and fellow Harvard professor Richard Alpert, aka Ram Dass...

(...you might want to check it out if you might be interested in the subject matter at all...it's a very good film)

Hey, DGF! Speakin' of Leary here...

About a year ago or so, I saw the following documentary film about the guy and his close friend and fellow Harvard professor Richard Alpert, aka Ram Dass...

(...you might want to check it out if you might be interested in the subject matter at all...it's a very good film)

Someone should now post "Legend of a Mind" by the Moody Blues.

Grant was offered the role of Blue Boy in Dragnet

60Something, but he said if Kevin Coughlin didn't

get the role, he wouldn't even watch the show.

LOL

Saaay...WAIT a second here, Vautrin!

Now, I'VE heard that Grant enjoyed his title role in I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE so much, he actually wanted to play a few roles that Dragnet '60Something semi-regular Virginia Gregg here were given...

MV5BMTEyNjA1NjgwMDJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDIw

(...and Cary would often all Jack Webb in these attempts and say to him somethin' like, "Why not put the drag back in Dragnet?")

It was a hot day in the City of Angels. We were working

the pawnshop beat out of Petty Larceny. The watch

commander was Captain Henry. He called us into his

office. My bra and panties were already starting to itch

under my polyester suit. It was going to be a long day.

Nobody played the nosy neighbor like Virginia Gregg.

• Like 2

Yeah, well, don't get me wrong here as I usually like Greg Peck whenever he's cast in a role that fits him, but I've seen ARABESQUE, and sorry, besides that whole arthritis thing you mentioned, I believe that movie would have been better if Grant had taken the role.

And the reason I believe this is that Grant was much more capable in delivering little "throw away" lines that help create comic relief in suspense/adventure films like this Donen film is supposed to be than Peck ever was.

(...and re DGF's original thought here...nope, while I have heard Grant was offered the Henry Higgins role in the MFL movie version, I too have never heard that he was also offered the Harold Hill role, and so I wonder if Ben or whoever wrote his intro last night might've gotten their wires crossed a bit and confused the story between these two films...although I suppose there is always the possibility that this did take place with the casting of THE MUSIC MAN movie too)

Post -1940, did Grant ever want a role that he did not get? Did he want to do VERTIGO?

I am certain that I have heard that Cary Grant was offered the lead in the film MY FAIR LADY, and he responded that Rex Harrison should get to reprise his stage role, and that if Harrison wasn't given the role, he wouldn't even see the film.Last night Ben said that Grant was offered the lead in THE MUSIC MAN, and Grant said that if Robert Preston wasn't given the role, he wouldn't even see the film. Was this Grant's usual response when he turned down a role?

I heard also that Grant was offered the lead in "Miss Grant Takes Richmond" but said that he wouldn't even go to the film unless Lucille Ball was given the the part.

LOL 

Dargo, have you ever seen the Dragnet episode about the "Blue Boy" with Michael Burns?

If so was that how you were scared straight?

One piece of casting news that I always found hard to believe - Robert Redford and Candace Bergen as Ben and Elaine in "The Graduate".

Redford as Superman in 1978 would have been even more difficult to believe. At least he was smart enough to stay away from superhero movies until his appearance in the 2014 blockbuster "Captain America: The Winter Soldier."

29906170001_3420457857001_vs-533b8a24e4b

Samuel L. Jackson and Redford in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" (2014)

• Like 1

I heard also that Grant was offered the lead in "Miss Grant Takes Richmond" but said that he wouldn't even go to the film unless Lucille Ball was given the the part.

Why should the producers care whether Grant goes to any film? They're going to give Harrison the role in MY FAIR LADY just so they can get an additional $2 in box office receipts?

Why should the producers care whether Grant goes to any film? They're going to give Harrison the role in MY FAIR LADY just so they can get an additional $2 in box office receipts?

Granted, you make a point, Down,

A silly one, but a point nevertheless.

P.S. I just sent you a private message but since you don't know how to open your messages, it shall remain a secret between me and me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings