Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

same movies every 4th

pamona

Same old, tired movies aired every 4th of July.  Howards of Virginia, John Paul Jones, the movie with Cornel Wilde!  When can we have something different on that date???  I've learned to avoid even watching TCM on the 4th.

I spent this 4th visiting my wife in the hospital( she had a stroke a couple of weeks ago,)  for 8 hours.

When I got home I tuned into the Tiger's game and afterwards shifted to the SY FY channel's annual TWILIGHT ZONE marathon.

Nothing wrong with the "same old, same old" every year though.  They are excellent movies, and I also remember coming to rely on showings of KING OF KINGS, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and THE ROBE every Christmas and Easter while growing up.

AND always tuning in!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Same old, tired movies aired every 4th of July.  Howards of Virginia, John Paul Jones, the movie with Cornel Wilde!  When can we have something different on that date???  I've learned to avoid even watching TCM on the 4th.

What movies AREN'T they showing that you think they should? There really aren't that many movies about the American revolution that they don't show and they filled in with movies that are tentatively patriotic. Except West Side Story, which only has a song named America.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a couple of silents on July 4th on TCM:

"Janice Meredith" (1925)--Marion Davies and The American Revolution.

"America" (1924)--D. W. Griffith's take on The American Revolution.

I'm Grateful TCM doesn't show Al Pacino's "Revolution" (1985)--One of the Worst movies I've seen.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a couple of silents on July 4th on TCM:

"Janice Meredith" (1925)--Marion Davies and The American Revolution.

"America" (1924)--D. W. Griffith's take on The American Revolution.

I'm Grateful TCM doesn't show Al Pacino's "Revolution" (1985)--One of the Worst movies I've seen.

Yeah after I posted I thought about the Griffith movie, although isn't that set in a time way before 1776? It's been a while since I saw it. I guess it qualifies as much as West Side Story does.

I was a little disappointed by the schedule yesterday, but all in all it was all right. Had not caught a lot of THE MUSIC MAN before and was thoroughly enchanted.

I mentioned this elsewhere, bu WEST SIDE STORY has been on a lot, and THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallu bad....I also can never entirely wrap my head around why JUDGE HARDY AND SON shows up so much on holidays. 

Some better 4rth choices (IMO) would've been:

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO IN THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES

THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER/ ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY

THE HUMAN COMEDY (1943)

PICNIC

GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE (WEIRDassed movie that it is.)

THE LAST HURRAH

an encore of POLITICS with Marie Dressler

THE OX-BOW INCIDENT

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE

THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK

HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO

SO PROUDLY WE HAIL!

• Like 3

I was a little disappointed by the schedule yesterday, but all in all it was all right. Had not caught a lot of THE MUSIC MAN before and was thoroughly enchanted.

I mentioned this elsewhere, bu WEST SIDE STORY has been on a lot, and THE HOWARDS OF VIRGINIA is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallu bad....I also can never entirely wrap my head around why JUDGE HARDY AND SON shows up so much on holidays. 

The only reason I can think of is that Andy has plans to take Polly to the Fourth of July fireworks show.
  • Like 1

Another thread title doesn't agree with this one. Why no YANKEE DOODLE DANDY this year?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings