Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DECEMBER SOTM

Hibi

Will either be Bette Davis or Myrna Loy. Saw a commercial over the wknd stating that it will be decided by BACKLOT members!!! Want to guess who will win? Either star's films are constantly shown anyway. Not getting much "influence" for your money (membership) LOL.

• Like 5

Come up with stars like Claudette Colbert, Dorothy Lamour,Sylvia Sidney or Veronica Lake which might give us some Paramount titles that have never been seen before on TCM.  That would be far more interesting than the same old same old. With the exception of a very good August coming up, you are getting very stale TCM. 

• Like 1

Come up with stars like Claudette Colbert, Dorothy Lamour,Sylvia Sidney or Veronica Lake which might give us some Paramount titles that have never been seen before on TCM.  That would be far more interesting than the same old same old. With the exception of a very good August coming up, you are getting very stale TCM. 

That would cost money............

And as someone said in another thread, Bette is getting a day in August. So that would be overkill if she was Star of the Month in December. She and Myrna have both been featured twice before.

It's like TCM doesn't think the Backlot members are savvy enough to vote for character actors or second-tier stars. It has to be the icons whose films are largely with MGM or WB and already shown frequently on the channel.

This may seem off topic,but to me it is relevant. Here's a list of films that would definitely keep TCM from getting stale.

6  that were recently shown at the TCM Film Festival:

SIX HOURS TO LIVE

A HOUSE DIVIDED

REPEAT PERFORMANCE

LAW AND ORDER   [1932]  

WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE

BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK  [1934]

Others  :       PRIVATE WORLDS

MARY BURNS, FUGITIVE

BEGGARS OF LIFE     [ Silent Classic ]

THE MIGHTY BARNUM

THE LAST GENTLEMAN

THE ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY

VICTORY  [1940]

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

WHITE BANNERS

CRIME WITHOUT PASSION

CEILING ZERO

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD

NIGHT WORLD

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

THE RUNAROUND

COBRA WOMAN

THE SAVAGE  INNOCENTS

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

THE FIRST LEGION

TROPICAL SNOW

TRUE TO LIFE

THE SLEEPING CITY

MISTER COREY

FORBIDDEN   [1953]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD

THE BISCUIT EATER [1940]

C'mon TCM  invigorate your programing schedule.  Even a few of the above titles would help. Thanks.

• Like 3

I'd vote for MARION DAVIES, especially since there will be 2 new to DVD silent films coming out later this year. Davies has never been SOTM, but I'm not paying for a "membership" in order to have official input. From what I could see, there was basically nothing offered for your money/membership.....

• Like 2

I'd vote for MARION DAVIES, especially since there will be 2 new to DVD silent films coming out later this year. Davies has never been SOTM, but I'm not paying for a "membership" in order to have official input. From what I could see, there was basically nothing offered for your money/membership.....

Unless it was to be part of the 'in' crowd. 

The one thing we should mention is that some people are getting free memberships to the Backlot, which kind of doesn't seem fair. So we have some people who are not paying a dime and influencing programming decisions.

Unless it was to be part of the 'in' crowd. 

The one thing we should mention is that some people are getting free memberships to the Backlot, which kind of doesn't seem fair. So we have some people who are not paying a dime and influencing programming decisions.

That's weird.... no one offered me anything free..... LOL

TCM reception is so bad here in rural Maine and since I can't tape/record anything anyway (it's blocked), I haven't watched TCM in over 5 years..... I can't even get their streaming thru Time-Warner

That's weird.... no one offered me anything free..... LOL

TCM reception is so bad here in rural Maine and since I can't tape/record anything anyway (it's blocked), I haven't watched TCM in over 5 years..... I can't even get their streaming thru Time-Warner

Can you get their streaming through Sling? That's what I was using in Colorado before I moved back to Arizona last week. 

I haven't decided if I am going to get Sling again at the new address or go back to cable, which I am not exactly in favor of doing.

Can you get their streaming through Sling? That's what I was using in Colorado before I moved back to Arizona last week. 

I haven't decided if I am going to get Sling again at the new address or go back to cable, which I am not exactly in favor of doing.

Doesn't seem worth the effort.... I've already seen and have 99% of what they show anyway..... TW just merged with some other corporate giant so maybe access will improve.....

This may seem off topic,but to me it is relevant. Here's a list of films that would definitely keep TCM from getting stale.

6  that were recently shown at the TCM Film Festival:

SIX HOURS TO LIVE

A HOUSE DIVIDED

REPEAT PERFORMANCE

LAW AND ORDER   [1932]  

WHEN YOU'RE IN LOVE

BULLDOG DRUMMOND STRIKES BACK  [1934]

Others  :       PRIVATE WORLDS

MARY BURNS, FUGITIVE

BEGGARS OF LIFE     [ Silent Classic ]

THE MIGHTY BARNUM

THE LAST GENTLEMAN

THE ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY

VICTORY  [1940]

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

WHITE BANNERS

CRIME WITHOUT PASSION

CEILING ZERO

FROM THIS DAY FORWARD

NIGHT WORLD

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

THE RUNAROUND

COBRA WOMAN

THE SAVAGE  INNOCENTS

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

THE FIRST LEGION

TROPICAL SNOW

TRUE TO LIFE

THE SLEEPING CITY

MISTER COREY

FORBIDDEN   [1953]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD

THE BISCUIT EATER [1940]

C'mon TCM  invigorate your programing schedule.  Even a few of the above titles would help. Thanks.

IF they were available to be shown at the festival, why cant they be shown on the station???" (Guess we arent paying enough)....

• Like 1

cody1949--If you haven't seen it before, there's a copy of "Cobra Woman" (1944) on archivedotorg--it's faded, but viewable and very funny.

Thanks. Some of those titles that I have listed are also available free on youtube, but it is my wish that those films be  shown   on TCM. 

• Like 1

It really should be Kirk Douglas for his centenary.

Well, we haven't seen the December schedule yet. So it's possible they are planning to give him a 24 hour marathon on his actual birthday. They did those for Danny Kaye and Vivien Leigh.

Well, we haven't seen the December schedule yet. So it's possible they are planning to give him a 24 hour marathon on his actual birthday. They did those for Danny Kaye and Vivien Leigh.

Neither Kaye nor Leigh had the extensive and impressive filmography of Douglas....Nor did they make it to 100.

I would really love to see some Paramount titles that have never been seen before on TCM but I believe we might be putting the cart before the horse;    I.e.  that who TCM selects as SOTM is based on the films they have under lease.    (verses TCM selecting a SOTM and then going out and leasing films with that star).

This is why Fox stars are rarely SOTM.    

I would really love to see some Paramount titles that have never been seen before on TCM but I believe we might be putting the cart before the horse;    I.e.  that who TCM selects as SOTM is based on the films they have under lease.    (verses TCM selecting a SOTM and then going out and leasing films with that star).

This is why Fox stars are rarely SOTM.    

That is obviously very true. However, I think the time has come for them to go outside of their frugale ways and give us some titles from studios like Paramount, Universal and Fox that have never been screened on TCM before.  

• Like 2

And since leasing arrangements seem to allow repeated showings for a certain  amount of time, they can be shown again, not just for a SOTM. I feel too much money is going for salaries and not movies....

Is someone like Tiffany really needed?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings