Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gabby Hayes Testimonial Thread

CaveGirl

Anyone who is a fan of real acting, should be happy to post platitudes to Mr. George Hayes in this thread being that if one knows much about him, one also knows that he much more deserves acting plaudits than the likes of Matthew McConaughey or others of his ilk.

Gabby was born in New York, the son of a man who ran hotels and who was the nephew of a VP of the General Electric company. Gabby was not from a bucolic background which makes even more impressive the veracity of his use of terms like "dadgummit" and "varmint" and "whippersnapper" which were never uttered in his home environment.

Even though cushy, Gabby being the adventurous fellow he was, ran away from home as a teenager and travelled with a circus in the days when a kid could so such things. He got into vaudeville and by the age of 43, was able to retire to Long Island but alas, along came the stock market crash and Gabby like many others was forced to regroup and go back to work.

Landing jobs in films due to his distinctive talents, the normally well-spoken, intelligent, cultured and well-groomed actor found his greatest success playing a grizzled old retrobate, which took real acting chops. Continuing this successful stint as the world's best western sidekick even on tv, Gabby finally travelled to that last rodeo in 1969 after a career of entertaining folks with his humor and style.

So prolific were his appearances in films and tv, that even the movie "Blazing Saddles" had a character named Gabby in it, to honor him in absentia.

If you are a Gabby fan and like him in even more than Westerns, please post your tribute now. All others need to traipse over to the "Shane" thread or set your tv to watch "The Searchers" later today as ripostes at Gabby's expense will not be tolerated.

I think it was Sir Ralph Richardson who upon hearing of Gabby's death said "Now he belongs to the sagebrush."

What a clever take on the remarks by Ralph!

Thanks, Richard and by the way I was reading an article last nite about Sam Sheppard and Marilyn Sheppard. Just wondering, have you taken up professional wrestling yet also?

Thanks, Richard and by the way I was reading an article last nite about Sam Sheppard and Marilyn Sheppard. Just wondering, have you taken up professional wrestling yet also?

I'm too busy getting personally involved with strangers at the risk of my own personal safety, then vanishing one short step ahead of the police lieutenant obsessed with my capture.

I once met "Gabby" Hayes in person in 1963 in North Hollywood when he was visiting a stuntman friend of his, Harvey Parry. He was waiting outside of Mr.Parry's apartment in the complex where we lived. I recognized this well-groomed man who stood **** and I asked him if he was Gabby Hayes. No he didn't say you're darned tootin'. He said,"Yes, I am son". My reply was a nervous, silly "gosh".

Down the block on Moorpark Street at the local pharmacy in the early 60's , I also saw at different times Don 'Red' Barry and Bob Steele. I hope some of you around today remember their names also.Today's generation wouldn't .

• Like 1

I once met "Gabby" Hayes in person in 1963 in North Hollywood when he was visiting a stuntman friend of his, Harvey Parry. He was waiting outside of Mr.Parry's apartment in the complex where we lived. I recognized this well-groomed man who stood **** and I asked him if he was Gabby Hayes. No he didn't say you're darned tootin'. He said,"Yes, I am son". My reply was a nervous, silly "gosh".

Down the block on Moorpark Street at the local pharmacy in the early 60's , I also saw at different times Don 'Red' Barry and Bob Steele. I hope some of you around today remember their names also.Today's generation wouldn't .

The four astericks are for the word ....****.

I'm too busy getting personally involved with strangers at the risk of my own personal safety, then vanishing one short step ahead of the police lieutenant obsessed with my capture.

Poor thing! At least it is probably more probable to find a one-armed man in a crowd of strangers than a bushy-haired man who would just fit in.

I am humbled to know you, Cody!

What a lucky person you were to meet such a legend and just on the street in a normal setting.

I so envy you and my life dream would have been to meet Gabby and in his natural state, though if he were in chaps and with a scraggy beard I would have happily taken that opportunity too.

Since my dad liked watching westerns I am proud to say that I do know who Don "Red" Barry was and Bob Steele as I also inherited my daddy's Western Encyclopedia of Films, which chronicles the rise of such movies from inception up to the 1980's.

Thanks for sharing an incredible reminiscence of a brush with a star of the first magnitude, Cody!

How well did you know Parry? He's interviewed in several episodes of Brownlow's great Hollywood series.

Geez, I have no personal experiences with any Western stars sadly.

I did have a friend in grade school who was a direct descendant of Annie Oakley though.

Cool story.   I have to admit if I had seen Bob Steele I would have yelled out to him;  "over hear Canino!".

• Like 1

I'm told that when I was a baby, I was patted on the head by...

Dale Robertson!

Ooh, lucky you!

He was quite the hunk. We do have something in common, since I dated a guy who worked for Wells Fargo and he let me ride in the armored van on a date and he also wore a shoulder holster into the restaurant as I requested but it was concealed.

After that I dumped him, cuz that's really all I wanted out of him, and guess what, his name was Dale also!

I grew up on Roy Rogers movies & he was Roy's sidekick in many of those films. Later on I got into Hopalong Cassidy and he was the sidekick in the first films. I always liked his appearances in these films. I think that's because my dad liked him.

• Like 1

How well did you know Parry? He's interviewed in several episodes of Brownlow's great Hollywood series.

We, my father and I, talked with him casually on many occasions. We knew he was a stuntman, but he was very modest about it. We never really got into any depth with his movie experiences. It was only a few years later, after we moved back East, that I realized he had a prominant part as a prizefighter in the ring with my idol, James Cagney, in WINNER TAKE ALL from 1932. Now there's the man who I would have loved to have met.  Just getting James Cagney's autograph would have been the thrill of a lifetime. Mr.Parry had a long career as a stuntman. I remember seeing him as a chauffeur in OKLAHOMA CRUDE in the 70's.

• Like 1

We, my father and I, talked with him casually on many occasions. We knew he was a stuntman, but he was very modest about it. We never really got into any depth with his movie experiences. It was only a few years later, after we moved back East, that I realized he had a prominant part as a prizefighter in the ring with my idol, James Cagney, in WINNER TAKE ALL from 1932. Now there's the man who I would have loved to have met.  Just getting James Cagney's autograph would have been the thrill of a lifetime. Mr.Parry had a long career as a stuntman. I remember seeing him as a chauffeur in OKLAHOMA CRUDE in the 70's.

Harvey's also very recognizable as a hit and run casualty in Scorpio that same year.

I have a vague memory of Gabby Hayes shooting some Quaker Oats out of a cannon on television.  Must have been this show:

What in tarnation were you thinking, Swithin in posting this since now I am salivating for some Quaker Puffed Oats shot out of a cannon for lunch.

Y'er just a young whippersnapper for sure, torturing folks just like the Marquis de Sade.

I did enjoy it though!

Addendum: Rewatched this clip and noticed the name Larry Buchanan in the credits and yes, it is that Larry Buchanan of the famed "Zontar, the Thing From Venus" and "It's Alive" fame. Too bad that Larry did not find it in his heart to hire Gabby for some of these legendary films as he would have added an air of panache to the proceedings.

I am old enough to remember that show.  Just around the time we got our first TV. His movie days were over, but from what I understand he made quite a lucrative deal with NBC and for a few years he entertained us around 5PM every weekday afternoon telling "whoppers". My definition of a whopper was a story that was very hard to believe.

• Like 2

I am old enough to remember that show.  Just around the time we got our first TV. His movie days were over, but from what I understand he made quite a lucrative deal with NBC and for a few years he entertained us around 5PM every weekday afternoon telling "whoppers". My definition of a whopper was a story that was very hard to believe.

I do believe that's the general acceptance of the word's definition in that use.

And I really don't understand any dislike some people have for Gabby.  He always seemed to me to fulfill his role in those shows with expert aplomb. 

Like Helenbaby, I too grew up watching him on both Roy Rogers and Hop Along Cassidy.  As a kid, I, and most of my same age friends thought he was cool.  I think my remaining love for him is rooted in that sentimental attatchment. 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings