Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

comfort food? how about comfort people!

here are some of mine--what about yours?

connie gilchrist

mildred natwick

leo g. carroll

s.z. sakall

thelma ritter

franklin pangborn

eve arden

walter connolly

charles coburn

edward everett horton

eugene pallette

maria ouspenskaya

Oh, this one is easy for me: Gary Cooper

To me, he has a very calming voice. Even when his characters are in grave crisis. And in so many movies, he an in-control sort of guy who gets the job done.

So I guess he lives up to that 'strong silent type' thing for me. *lol*

Also, he had enough variety in his roles (westerns, dramas, romantic comedies, pure romance) where no matter what I'm in the mood for or stressed out about, there is a Gary Cooper film that fits the bill. If I need something 'heavy', he has a film for it. But if I need something light and funny and adorable, there is a film for that too.

Now, I like *listening* to alot of different actors and actresses - especially some of the non-American ones who have cool accents. I love listening to Charles Boyer, for example - I could listen to him talk FOREVER! Same with Errol Flynn. Good LORD I love the sound of his voice!

And I like *watching* a few of the silent stars because I think they are funny (Chaplin in particular) or because I love to watch them move (Valentino is a good example of this). If I'm sad, I can always reach for a Chaplin film and get a good laugh, for example. Or I can take my mind off of alot of stuff simply by lusting over Valentino. *lol*

But for the total package - pure 'comfort' on every level, ya can't beat Gary Cooper.

At least not for me.

Runners-up, I guess, would be Humphrey Bogart and Gregory Peck. But Humphrey Bogart didn't have as much variety to his roles and so I find there is not a 'Bogart film for every occasion' like there is with Coop...and I've not seen as many Gregory Peck films as Gary Cooper films, so although he has alot of potential to be a 'comfort person', I'm not quite there yet.

And I guess Chaplin would be a runner up too, to an extent. Although really, the Little Tramp character would be the comfort person, rather than Chaplin himself, cus some of Chaplin's other characters and films are not very comforting at all, whereas the Tramp is a very resilant character who accepts whatever terrible thing befalls him and makes the best of it....which is comforting to watch.

As for females...well, I guess I'd go with Myrna Loy maybe. Barbara Stanwyck because her voice is not EVER shrill, no matter the situation. Probably Olivia deHavilland too for that reason - her voice is always so calming.

ASTAIRE and ROGERS - their films put whatever is wrong, right.

THE MARX BROTHERS - smiles for miles

"The Thin Man" series - Nick and Nora make the insane world seem sane, especially after enough martinis!

And I agree 100% about Gary Cooper!

What a great idea for a thread! An actress I love to "listen" to is Ingrid Bergman. I love her accent! Very sexy. I could listen to her read the phone book.

As for "comfort people", I'd have to say I get more comfort from movie couples than anyone by themselves. It's always comforting watching Tracy and Hepburn together, it's almost like watching old friends. For some reason, I get a lot of comfort from John Wayne and Maureen O Hara in Rio Grande. This is one of those movies I knew from the first few frames would be one of my favorites. I love the rapport between them in this one. I get warm and fuzzy just thinking about this movie. Montgomery Clift and Liz Taylor are now another favorite couple after seeing A Place In the Sun for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Some of their scenes together just took my breath away. Knowing their history only adds to it. I'm sure there are many more I can't think of right now, you may hear from me later. :-)

Astaire and Rogers, absolutely. They are just so warm and fun that you can't help but be happy when watching them.

I feel the same way about the Thin Man movies. Nick and Nora are just so charming and funny, you can'y help but enjoy the movies.

Wow... I agree with alot of them here. Like Gary Cooper, esp. I mean who could get tired of seeing that shy manner on screen? And Astaire... Marx Brothers always make me smile... Esp. Harpo! *sighs* I love Harpo.

Bing Crosby... in every sense of the word "comfort." He's so enjoyable to watch and don't get me started on his voice. I could listen to "Along the Sante Fe Trail" over and over...

And as for speaking voice, I could listen to William Powell all day.

null

Doris Day is pretty high on my list. It seems so cliche, but I'm always in a good mood after watching one of her movies. They're usually silly and implausible, but I love that kind of 60's ftuff.

I'm not sure why, but I've never really been that big on The Thin Man series, but I love Powell and Loy in "Love Crazy" and especially, "I Love You Again." That's one of my all time favorites, especially the scene where William Powell starts piegon cooing. Seriously, I don't know what women wouldn't fall in love with him after that.

Tracy and Hepburn are my favorite onscreen pair. My two favorites are Adam's Rib and Without Love, although I wouldn't touch "Woman of the Year" with a ten foot pole. That kitchen scene always gets me mad. I think it's my inner feminist scratching and clawing its way out.

Felix Bressart and Frank McHugh are two good character actors that always put a smile on my face. Even if the movie is lousy, they always bring warmth and humor to their roles. There's something so comforting about seeing one of them in a movie, like an old friend or something.

And of course, Joseph Cotten is probably number 1 on my list. That voice! He's my all time favorite, so I'm completely biased. But I adore him. I can be in the worst mood of my life, watch any of his movies (except Soylent Green, cause that's just a depressing, blink and you'll miss him-role) and then feel great afterwards. Especially when he's paired with Jennifer Jones. I'm not that big on her as an actress, but the two of them together were pretty special.

> Tracy and Hepburn are my favorite onscreen pair. My

> two favorites are Adam's Rib and Without Love,

> although I wouldn't touch "Woman of the Year" with a

> ten foot pole. That kitchen scene always gets me mad.

> I think it's my inner feminist scratching and clawing

> its way out.

Oh cmon, Woman of the Year is a great film. The kitchen sequence is so sweet(although a little long IMO), you have to consider the era this was made in, and that Kate was portrayed as a successful woman throughout the film. Just curious, what did you think of the scene at the baseball game?

Doris Day? All I can say is yechhhhhhhhhhh :-)

See, I liked "Woman of the Year" until that kitchen scene. I thought the whole thing (baseball scene included) was pretty great until that part. I loved how you could tell that Kate and Spence were totally falling in love on and off screen. And then the kitchen scene happened and my head nearly blew off my body. I couldn't believe that someone as smart and successful as Kate was, would be that stupid and clueless in the kitchen. Yeast in the waffles! That still makes my blood pressure rise. I know that it's only a movie, and yet it drives me crazy that I can't enjoy the first Tracy/Hepburn movie because of one silly scene.

And poor Doris! No respect, I tell you! ;)

That kitchen scene is my favorite scene of that entire movie. *lol*

I love to watch Spencer Tracy in that scene. He doesn't say anything, but his expressions speak a thousand (hysterical) words. And since Spencer Tracy's expressions ARE some of his best acting, I LOVE that scene. In fact, it might be my favorite scene in any of the Hepburn/Tracy films!

And for the record, Kate plays alot of characters who are sorta ditzy in one area or another. Just look at "Bringing Up Baby"!

Bob Hope. Not the--"I can show up on the 'Tonight Show with Johnny Carson' any damn time I please" Bob Hope. The Hope-Crosby Bob Hope. Or, "The Ghost Breakers" Bob Hope. In fact, I watch "The Ghost Breakers" every time TCM broadcasts the thing. I have a DVD of "The Ghost Breakers". At least once a month, I watch my DVD of "The Ghost Breakers". My wife is going to kill me.

Rusty

jarhfive said:

Bob Hope. Not the--"I can show up on the 'Tonight Show with Johnny Carson' any damn time I please" Bob Hope. The Hope-Crosby Bob Hope. Or, "The Ghost Breakers" Bob Hope. In fact, I watch "The Ghost Breakers" every time TCM broadcasts the thing. I have a DVD of "The Ghost Breakers". At least once a month, I watch my DVD of "The Ghost Breakers". My wife is going to kill me.

Was this in reference to my handle? None the less, I'll comment on it! :) Ghostbreakers is a great movie! I love how brave Hope is in this one, surpassing his usual "turkey-"ness.

And speaking of comfort people... I would have mentioned the Road pictures before but I figured they were nearly implied. Especially the first "...to Singapore" when Hope sings "Capt. Custard." This is one of my favorite songs from the Hope-Crosby films. The other would have to be "Ho-Hum..." from "...to Morocco." I love Bob Hope and I love Bing Crosby.

Glorious topic. I'm not sure what "comfort people" really means, but we can all come up with our own interpretations. I feel that it means watching an actor/actress who we thoroughly enjoy. If that's the case, then I would select:

Marlon Brando - because I have always felt he was the greatest actor - his performances, particularly in the 1950's were always terrific and when I watched any of his films from that time period - I always knew it would be an enjoyable performance - some of his films such as Streetcar Named Desire and On The Waterfront are so good, that I can watch them many times. He was an intricate man in real life, but as actor - nobody can top him.

And now for something completely different...Jimmy Durante. My dad was a big Durante fan, so I grew up watching him. Love that gravelly voice! He was a sweet guy both on screen and off. I never had an uncle, but "Uncle Jimmy" would have been my first choice.

Barbara Stanwyck is my main source for comfort food, followed by Bette Davis, Joan Crawford and Clifton Webb.

I also take comfort in watching numerous charactor players, especially Hattie McDaniel, Lucile Watson, Margaret Wycherly, Percy Kilbride, Thelma Ritter, Edmund Gwenn, Jessie Ralph, and the list goes on.

They make me S-M-I-L-E!

Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Bette Davis, Doris Day, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Greer Garson, Ronald Colman, Mae West, Claudette Colbert, Dana Andrews, James Cagney, Errol Flynn & Deborah Kerr.

Interesting, patful!

My dad was a huge John Wayne fan, and I cannot turn on a John Wayne film without thinking of him.

I guess that in a way, that makes him a 'comfort person'...even though films like "The Sands of Iwo Jima" are harding warm and fuzzy or anything.

I've been looking at this thread for a few days trying to think of someone who feels comfortable to me. It's a tough call -- that's not a reaction I usually have to actors.

After much thought, I'd have to name Eugene Pallette. He may have been a right wing nutjob in real life, but I love watching him on screen. Even in his worst movies (Lights of New York) he's fun to see.