Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dressing at Cross Purposes

CaveGirl

Going back to Shakespeare's days, we know of many instances where the male players were portraying females on stage at the Globe and other venues and this type of cross dressing continued on in films, with many males playing their distaff halves.

One of the worst in terms of looks, had to be Cary Grant in "I Was a Male War Bride" and it is amazing how unattractive he was as a female being that he was such an attractive man in normal life. But that's the worst of the lot in my opinion, unless we include someone like Harvey Korman as a woman, but let's not go there.

Of course to critique Grant as being less than toothsome ignores the fact that this was a Howard Hawks' comedy, which explains all. But still, some men make might fine women in films and this thread is devoted to both types. If you like Tony Curtis as Josephine and also think Rod Steiger looks good dressed up as a frail, this is your chance to voice your vote.

Name the best and worst award for a male impersonating a female on-screen.

Thanks!

Going back to Shakespeare's days, we know of many instances where the male players were portraying females on stage at the Globe and other venues and this type of cross dressing continued on in films, with many males playing their distaff halves.

One of the worst in terms of looks, had to be Cary Grant in "I Was a Male War Bride" and it is amazing how unattractive he was as a female being that he was such an attractive man in normal life. But that's the worst of the lot in my opinion, unless we include someone like Harvey Korman as a woman, but let's not go there.

Of course to critique Grant as being less than toothsome ignores the fact that this was a Howard Hawks' comedy, which explains all. But still, some men make might fine women in films and this thread is devoted to both types. If you like Tony Curtis as Josephine and also think Rod Steiger looks good dressed up as a frail, this is your chance to voice your vote.

Thanks!

Well as that other serviceman said to Kenneth Tobey as Grant was entering the ship,   'she' had some nice legs!

Well as that other serviceman said to Kenneth Tobey as Grant was entering the ship,   'she' had some nice legs!

Didn't he have knock knees?

Gotta say, Tony Curtis looked a lot better as a girl than Cary did!

Didn't he have knock knees?

Gotta say, Tony Curtis looked a lot better as a girl than Cary did!

That film wasn't very funny given the cast,  but that last scene was.   The look Tobey gives that serviceman who liked Grant's legs says it all;  that young man has been out to sea way too long!

That film wasn't very funny given the cast,  but that last scene was.   The look Tobey gives that serviceman who liked Grant's legs says it all;  that young man has been out to sea way too long!

I do feel for Cary though, since he had to look like a woman in competition with Ann Sheridan in the film, who I always thought was gorgeous!

Thanks, James!

Thanks!

FWIW, not just many instances but all. It was a hard and fast rule. (I believe)

Michael Callan had a short scene in The New Interns (1964) where on a wager he infiltrated the women's dorm. Having to admit here, he was kind of cute.

I have to grudgingly admit that PATRICK SWAZE, WESLEY SNIPES and JOHN LEGUIZAMO ALL looked pretty hot in TO WONG FOO, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, JULIE NEWMAR.

Hard to top Grant as the worst, but CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER in drag as a disguise at the end of the Canadian production THE SILENT PARTNER gives Cary a run for his money.

And I recall what BOB HOPE(I think) said of comedienne PHYLLIS DILLER once...

"That's GOT to be the WORST female impersonator I EVER saw!"   :D

Sepiatone

I guess we should cut him some slack since he had to fashion a wig out of a horse's tail.  ;)

Hahaha!

Good point, Belle. I bet if the Kardashians had to wear horsehair in their weaves they wouldn't look so hot either.

FWIW, not just many instances but all. It was a hard and fast rule. (I believe)

Michael Callan had a short scene in The New Interns (1964) where on a wager he infiltrated the women's dorm. Having to admit here, he was kind of cute.

Michael Callan, what a cutie!

He probably would look good as a woman, just like Tony Curtis did. I've seen that film but totally have forgotten any scene with him in drag.

Thanks, Laffite!

I have to grudgingly admit that PATRICK SWAZE, WESLEY SNIPES and JOHN LEGUIZAMO ALL looked pretty hot in TO WONG FOO, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, JULIE NEWMAR.

Hard to top Grant as the worst, but CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER in drag as a disguise at the end of the Canadian production THE SILENT PARTNER gives Cary a run for his money.

And I recall what BOB HOPE(I think) said of comedienne PHYLLIS DILLER once...

"That's GOT to be the WORST female impersonator I EVER saw!"   :D

Sepiatone

Poor Phyllis!

She didn't look much better after surgery but I actually liked her before look better and I bet Fang did too!

Those fright wigs were frightful though.

Michael Callan, what a cutie!

He probably would look good as a woman, just like Tony Curtis did. I've seen that film but totally have forgotten any scene with him in drag.

Thanks, Laffite!

Michael Callan went to my high school, where MOST guys were cuties.

Wow, he could give Janice Rule a run for her money!

LOL

Yeah, ya know CG, Michael DOES have sort of a "Janice Rule thing" goin' on there, doesn't he!

Janice_Rule_1973.JPG

(...he just maybe needs a little more mascara, that's all)

• Like 1

Down, did you ever participate in a Heptathlon since you were a hepcat?

I participated in a local nerdathon once.

Hey CG, Dargo was quite on point there, good association catch with the Rule-Callan connection, although by rule :-p I will always prefer a Janice to a Michael. Yet there is a certain Gene I like (doe). I'm fond of genetics.

LOL

Yeah, ya know CG, Michael DOES have sort of a "Janice Rule thing" goin' on there, doesn't he!

Janice_Rule_1973.JPG

(...he just maybe needs a little more mascara, that's all)

I think women are getting mighty tired of men dressing up like them and looking better in the make-up and clothing, Dargo.

Very annoying to be sure. Now I totally understand why Dolores Fuller was so upset when she came home and found her pink angora sweater stretched all out of shape.

I mean, what is the world coming to?

They say some men like a woman with a little mustache, like Al Pacino in "The Godfather".

Glad to hear that you are not one of them, nor was Ben Gazzara apparently.

As usual, Cave, you are over my head. Ben Gazzara?

I participated in a local nerdathon once.

Hey CG, Dargo was quite on point there, good association catch with the Rule-Callan connection, although by rule :-p I will always prefer a Janice to a Michael. Yet there is a certain Gene I like (doe). I'm fond of genetics.

Jen Eticks?

Wasn't she on the volleyball squad at Dick Clark Junior High School?

As usual, Cave, you are over my head. Ben Gazzara?

Sorry, Snookums!

Being the gossip **** and movie magazine addict I am, I knew that Ben was married to Janice.

Be proud that you were unaware of this connection and have better things to do with your time than read things like "Movie Star Annual for 1958".

OMG, they bleeped my word, and it was only...m*o*n*g*e*r"?

What could be bad about that word, pray tell?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings