Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jean Simmons, anyone?

moonbeamtheturtle

Any Jean Simmons fans out there? So incredibly talented and lovely. I've recently become kind of obsessed. I have watched all the movies I've been able to find but I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a biography out there, and some of her movies ("This Earth is Mine," "Androcles and the Lion," and a few others) are so hard to track down!

• Like 1

Have you ever seen "Footsteps in the Fog" and "Adam and Evelyne" starring Jean and her husband in real life Stewart Granger? Footsteps in the Fog is kind of a thriller and Adam and Evelyne is more of a romantic comedy; it's on Netflix.

I did watch both of those! I really enjoyed "Adam and Evelyne" and found "Footsteps in the Fog" to be pretty creepy! (Not as creepy as "Uncle Silas," which I absolutely LOVED.)

So far my favorites include The Big Country (such a great performance!), Until They Sail, Hamlet, and Spartacus. I'm really trying to find a copy of The Blue Lagoon, This Earth is Mine, and Androcles and the Lion. Also can't find an affordable copy of Rough Night in Jericho. :(

• Like 1

I did watch both of those! I really enjoyed "Adam and Evelyne" and found "Footsteps in the Fog" to be pretty creepy! (Not as creepy as "Uncle Silas," which I absolutely LOVED.)

So far my favorites include The Big Country (such a great performance!), Until They Sail, Hamlet, and Spartacus. I'm really trying to find a copy of The Blue Lagoon, This Earth is Mine, and Androcles and the Lion. Also can't find an affordable copy of Rough Night in Jericho. :(

I haven't seen Until They Sail or Spartacus... Both are currently on my list, though. I really enjoyed Big Country. Greg Peck and Jean did great jobs in this one. I'm assuming you've seen Angel Face (1952)? I know TCM shows it from time to time. PS, I understand not being able to purchase or even find some copies of some older movies...

• Like 1

I haven't seen Until They Sail or Spartacus... Both are currently on my list, though. I really enjoyed Big Country. Greg Peck and Jean did great jobs in this one. I'm assuming you've seen Angel Face (1952)? I know TCM shows it from time to time. PS, I understand not being able to purchase or even find some copies of some older movies...

Yes, I enjoyed Angel Face! Delightfully disturbing. Sounds like it was a horrible experience for her during filming though. I don't think I can pick a favorite, but I was really impressed with her in Home Before Dark- have you seen it? I watched it for the first time and was so floored that I rewatched immediately afterward. She was great!

• Like 1

THE BIG COUNTRY and ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO are on Starz through Amazon Prime. And ANDROCLES THE LION is on Hulu. 

UNTIL THEY SAIL airs once or twice a year on TCM since it's an MGM film in the Turner library.

• Like 2

Yes, I enjoyed Angel Face! Delightfully disturbing. Sounds like it was a horrible experience for her during filming though. I don't think I can pick a favorite, but I was really impressed with her in Home Before Dark- have you seen it? I watched it for the first time and was so floored that I rewatched immediately afterward. She was great!

I've seen parts of it, but I need to watch it again in its entirety... There are so many movies currently on my list and I keep adding more ;) I will be watching movies until the moment I die. 

• Like 1

THE BIG COUNTRY and ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO are on Starz through Amazon Prime. And ANDROCLES THE LION is on Hulu.

UNTIL THEY SAIL airs once or twice a year on TCM since it's an MGM film in the Turner library.

WHAT?! [i will watch Rough Night in Jericho immediately]

You rock, All-Knowing One.

• Like 1

WHAT?! [i will watch Rough Night in Jericho immediately]

You rock, All-Knowing One.

Glad I could help.

Jean is also in a season 10 episode of the original Hawaii Five-O starring Jack Lord. That one is on DVD, and it's a good story.

Glad I could help.

Jean is also in a season 10 episode of the original Hawaii Five-O starring Jack Lord. That one is on DVD, and it's a good story.

Just finished Rough Night in Jericho; so glad it was on amazon prime! And I've never watched Hawaii Five-O but will seek that one out. Thanks for your help! I also love the episode of Star Trek she's in; it's so fun to see her play a villain!

• Like 1

Just finished Rough Night in Jericho; so glad it was on amazon prime! And I've never watched Hawaii Five-O but will seek that one out. Thanks for your help! I also love the episode of Star Trek she's in; it's so fun to see her play a villain!

Glad you saw the JERICHO movie. 

You also mentioned THIS EARTH IS MINE. A friend of mine gave me a copy of it several years ago...I believe it had been taped off the old American Movie Classics on VHS then transferred to disc but the picture quality is acceptable. You might be able to find copies of it on the iOffer website, where people trade hard-to-find movies.

You also mentioned THIS EARTH IS MINE. A friend of mine gave me a copy of it several years ago...I believe it had been taped off the old American Movie Classics on VHS then transferred to disc but the picture quality is acceptable. You might be able to find copies of it on the iOffer website, where people trade hard-to-find movies.

Do you know if the 1949 The Blue Lagoon was ever shown in the USA?    I ask because I can't see how the Production Code would have allowed for that baby.      

Hey, if married couples had to have separate beds,   how did those two have a baby,  sleeping in separate huts!   :blink:

• Like 2

I hadn't heard of iOffer, but I now see it will come in very handy. Thanks!

• Like 1

Do you know if the 1949 The Blue Lagoon was ever shown in the USA?    I ask because I can't see how the Production Code would have allowed for that baby.      

Hey, if married couples had to have separate beds,   how did those two have a baby sleeping in separate huts!   :blink:

Not sure, James. I have never seen it and don't know about its release history. Did you check the notes section and the print info section for the movie on the TCM database? Sometimes that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I always considered Jean one of the most beautiful women who ever stepped in front of a camera.The story goes that William Wyler wanted her for his film "Roman Holiday", but she was under contract to Howard Hughes and he refused to loan her out [supposed to have refused his sexual advances] to Wyler and Audery Hepburn got the role and the Oscar. 

I always considered Jean one of the most beautiful women who ever stepped in front of a camera.The story goes that William Wyler wanted her for his film "Roman Holiday", but she was under contract to Howard Hughes and he refused to loan her out [supposed to have refused his sexual advances] to Wyler and Audery Hepburn got the role and the Oscar. 

I wasn't aware of that...she would have been very good in ROMAN HOLIDAY. But of course, Audrey was wonderful.

Recently, I watched Jean in ADAM AND EVELYNE...she gives a charming performance opposite Stewart Granger just before they both went to Hollywood.

I had heard that story, and it breaks my heart! Although I love Audrey's performance and holy cow she deserved that Oscar, I can't help but wonder if Jean Simmons would've been an even better Princess Anne!

My current favorite performance is in "The Big Country." She is absolutely brilliant as the independent, down-to-earth loner while everyone around her (except Gregory Peck) is insane.

I'm really looking forward to all the movies they're showing on her Sumner Under the Stars day (August 30), although the only one I haven't seen yet is "Young Bess." Can't wait!!

I saw "Angel Face" (1952) about 3.5 years ago in the process of moving from one state to another, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Miss Jean Simmons quickly became a sort of favorite of mine. I've also seen her in "Adam and Evelyne" and "The Grass is Greener" (1960), the latter being a film she starred in with Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, and Robert Mitchum. 

Oh! And I have also seen "Guys and Dolls" (1955) and "Elmer Gantry" (1960). She was fabulous in both of these as well. I am glad there are others out there who like her and her films. 

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to all the movies they're showing on her Sumner Under the Stars day (August 30), although the only one I haven't seen yet is "Young Bess." Can't wait!!

YOUNG BESS is one of her better ones. The scenes with her and Charles Laughton (who plays her father) are very good. There are great MGM production values, and of course, she and Granger were married at the time, which gives it another dimension.

I saw "Angel Face" (1952) about 3.5 years ago in the process of moving from one state to another, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Miss Jean Simmons quickly became a sort of favorite of mine. I've also seen her in "Adam and Evelyne" and "The Grass is Greener" (1960), the latter being a film she starred in with Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr, and Robert Mitchum. 

Oh! And I have also seen "Guys and Dolls" (1955) and "Elmer Gantry" (1960). She was fabulous in both of these as well. I am glad there are others out there who like her and her films. 

Angel Face was also my first exposure to Jean Simmons.    It wasn't until later on that I found out her role in Angel Face is fairly unusual as it relates to her other films.   Love Jean.

• Like 1

And what a way to start. It's much better than the other RKO film she made with Mitchum-- SHE COULDN'T SAY NO.

I do love "Angel Face," but as far as creepy goes, I think "Uncle Silas" was better. Very unsettling. I loved it! A few nights ago, I watched "Mister Buddwing" for the first time. While I found the movie a little disappointing, Jean Simmons was the bright spot! I also enjoyed "Black Narcissus" immensely, even though she's only in a few scenes. Beautiful movie!

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings