Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kubla Kahn (Citizen Kane) Redux

laffite

The road to Xanadu leads not to Kubla Khan, not even to John Foster Kane. How about my own back yard!

I posted this in 2008 in a thread that cannot be retrieved because the image host account has been deleted and the pictures are gone. I had been aware for some time that Citizen Kane used venues in Balboa Park to represent magnificent Xanadu in the "News on the March" newsreel that begins the film so I screen capped them from the movie and then roamed Balboa Park in San Diego, caps in hand, to find those venues. The pictures were taken by me on April 22, 2008.

There were posted here the next day. I feel no shame at all in a redo since after all it has been eight years already and there are many new people here. Because of limitations of the current software I can only fit 10 pictures in a single post. There are six more, all buildings. In 2008 I was able to get all 16 in a single post. The photos here I deem the best. The others are buildings and I would like to post them separately.

So, below are five pairs of pictures. The first will be a black-and-white image from Citizen Kane. The second will be the same image 67 years later (2008). Most of the angles have been duplicated accurately.

xanadu.jpg

xanadu%201.jpg

I have a third picture of the spire that was taken from a greater distance but alas could not fit it here. I will include it the second post.

xanadu%209.jpg

xanadu%2010.jpg

"El Cid" by Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington, 1876-1973. This statue has been in place since 1930.

xanadu%2011.jpg

xanadu%2012.jpg

The statue was taken down about 10 years ago [ca 1998], I believe. It was located right where the fountain is now. In fact, it was in the fountain. The two domes are still visible in the distance. The latticed building to the left is an arboretum, aka The Botanical Gardens.

The statue is "Youthful Diana" also by Anna Hyatt Huntington. It was cast in 1924 and shortly thereafter given to the San Diego Museum of Art. Not sure when it was removed but is was put up again 1965 where it remained until about 10 years ago. It is still owned by the SDMA and in 2008 I learned that there were plans to remount but it still hasn't happened yet, alas. I haven't checked recently but in 2008 no one seemed sure of its whereabouts.

xanadu%207.jpg

xanadu%208.jpg

I wanted to get closer but there was a restriction. This lily pond is just down the way from where youthful Diana was located. The benches look the same.

xanadu%2013.jpg

xanadu%2014.jpg

In 2008 nothing about any of this was on the IMDBs trivia page for Citizen Kane, so I submitted a short paragraph for inclusion at that time. My post for 2008 says that it was approved in late April 2008.

I took a look yesterday and it is still there, to wit:

At the beginning of "News on the March" the several shots of buildings with Spanish architecture were filmed at San Diego's Balboa Park. The statues "El Cid" and "Youthful Diana" were also located in Balboa Park. Both statues are by Anna Hyatt Huntington (1876-1973). "El Cid" is still standing. "Youthful Diana" is not currently visible but is owned by the San Diego Museum of Art. The large birdcage in the newsreel is one of two located at the San Diego Zoo.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Thanks for reposting this laffite!

I love this sort of side by side comparison of movie locations. I've visited Balboa Park as a teen, but that was years before ever seeing CITIZEN KANE. Missed opportunity!

What a wonderful contribution to this site, Laffite!

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at these photos, which by the way are very artistically taken. Being a giant fan of the film, it is fascinating to see the things in situ. Thanks so much for reposting for our delight and edification

I like that sort of stuff.  I know I'll never visit any of those spots, or any other locations that were in some of my favorite films, but being able to access some of them through any source is sometimes nice to do.

Like out of curiosity, I hunted for and found online somewhere a photo of that stairway used in LAUREL and HARDY'S "The Music Box".

And 30 years ago, at a Detroit art gallery, there was an exhibit presented by a local photographer who found some archival photos of old Detroit, and he went around to the old photo's locations to shoot "yesterady/today" comparison shots.  It was both interesting and sad in some cases, to see.

Sepiatone

Hmmmm...I wonder why Orson didn't just shoot the newsreel scene at a particular residence located in San Simeon???

Oh...wait. Probably couldn't get permission from the homeowner, huh. ;)

(...nice post here, laffite)

Olivier at San Simeon in Spartacus:

Dvrvola.jpg

Ah yes. Isn't that where Kubrick filmed the scene where Olivier, lets say, "puts the moves on" slave boy Tony?

And, a reference made just a few years later in that Flintstones episode where Tony reprises his slave boy character as that stone age heart-throb "Stony Curtis".

(...minus any reference to Olivier's little advancement to him, of course...I mean, that cartoon series WAS "family oriented", right?!)

;)

• Like 1

Ah yes. Isn't that where Kubrick filmed the scene where Olivier, lets say, "puts the moves on" slave boy Tony?

And, a reference made just a few years later in that Flintstones episode where Tony reprises his slave boy character as that stone age heart-throb "Stony Curtis".

(...minus any reference to Olivier's little advancement to him, of course...I mean, that cartoon series WAS "family oriented", right?!)

;)

I saw the documentary film The Celluloid Closet last week and they showed the bathing scene between Curtis and Olivier that was never released in the film.    In this scene Olivier mentions how he likes both Snails and Mussels  (I may be wrong about the two items),  as his way of saying he likes both men and women. 

I saw the documentary film The Celluloid Closet last week and they showed the bathing scene between Curtis and Olivier that was never released in the film.    In this scene Olivier mentions how he likes both Snails and Mussels  (I may be wrong about the two items),  as his way of saying he likes both men and women. 

That scene has been restored into the film since the 1991 restoration. The story of how the audio track had been lost, so it needed to be re-recorded, is now often repeated. Tony Curtis recorded his lines, but Olivier was dead by this time, so Anthony Hopkins did his best Olivier vocal impersonation and recorded Larry's lines. And it was "Snails and Oysters."

• Like 1

That scene has been restored into the film since the 1991 restoration. The story of how the audio track had been lost, so it needed to be re-recorded, is now often repeated. Tony Curtis recorded his lines, but Olivier was dead by this time, so Anthony Hopkins did his best Olivier vocal impersonation and recorded Larry's lines. And it was "Snails and Oysters."

Thanks for the info.     Hey,  I knew it was some type of shellfish!      Interesting fact about Hopkins' vocal impersonation.

Thanks for the info.     Hey,  I knew it was some type of shellfish!      Interesting fact about Hopkins' vocal impersonation.

Yeah, and another little side note about Sir Anthony here, James.

(...he does a much better Olivier vocal impression than he does a Nixon!!!)

LOL

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings