Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Film Is Dead

CaveGirl

I didn't say it, Jean-Luc Godard said it.

He says now everyone thinks they are an auteur what with their mobile phones and that all cinema is moribund.

He also says that the films mostly are conglomerations of layered meaningless action designed like commercials to infiltrate your mind and psyche but are junk food.

What do you say?

Now remember if you think he is anti-Hollywood, one must ask why did Hollywood give him an Academy Award for his legacy of films.

He also said that everyone uses the word "therefore" so if one had to pay a small fee to use it and then would donate that to Greece that the Parthenon could be saved.

I wonder if he has weighed in on the Trump star controversy in view of his own battles with those who call Godard a similar denigrating label.

I think the terminology we should use now, "Cinema Is Dead"?

Film been dead for a few years, resting in peace with AM radio.

130530162151-projection-room-horizontal-

Well, I'm sure Jean-Luc would be okay with that, but is he still allowed to use the term "movies"?

He could say "Movies are dead" and also that he does not want to be a part of the "let's movie" movement.

I would like to "movie" but my moviola got a hitch in its gittup, and I'm resting it currently.

He also says that the films mostly are conglomerations of layered meaningless action designed like commercials to infiltrate your mind and psyche but are junk food.

Godard had a falling out with Truffaut over the classic Day For Night because Truffaut's movie didn't challenge the right people..

To heck with Godard.

• Like 2

Godard had a falling out with Truffaut over the classic Day For Night because Truffaut's movie didn't challenge the right people..

To heck with Godard.

Godard is probably just jealous of all those people with cell phones making films-- because now anybody can make films as bad as his.

Le pauvre, Jean-Luc has lost his monopoly on bad Cinema.

My suggestion for Godard is that we give him 400 Blows, put him on The Last Métro and leave him looking for The Green Room until he's Breathless.

J'aime ça.

• Like 4

Godard is probably just jealous of all those people with cell phones making films-- because now anybody can make films as bad as his.

I watch any Godard or French New Wave, and all I can see is that Monty Python sketch:

• Like 1

I disagree with Godard on one thing.

I'd say funding could be raised to construct a working TIME MACHINE to go back and use methods to build the Parthenon so that it wouldn't crumble or erode if a fee had to be paid for each time people used the word "Whatever".  Or ended an exclamatory sentence with "OK?"

As a longtime amateur photographer, and as one who spent much time( and happily) to learn the many methods with which celluloid film can be manipulated, and the fun you can have in doing so, I lament the end of the wide use of film.  Sure, I can find 35mm film to use in my SLRs, but the available film is of limited ranges of speed and exposures, and none of the film types I preferred are on the market anymore.  And I have NO desire to scrap all of my 35mm SLRs to switch over to the relatively easy to use and "do it for you" digital cameras, which the higher grade and manipulative able digital SLRs are way too expensive for me to change over to.

As for movie making, I suppose digital imaging devices has both good and bad points, and as I don't know a whole lot about the "ins and outs" of film making, there's the possible downside to their function, like replacing some personel and possibly putting good people out of work, which is an "upside" to the "bean counters" in the industry.

Sepiatone

I've so enjoyed reading all the many interesting comments in this thread.

I will say this, being that Godard's film "Weekend" about the massive traffic jam, is one of my favorites it was with shock that I heard on the radio this morning the following story about just such a traffic jam.

Could Godard be prescient? 

"Twelve people die in traffic jam in Indonesia at junction called 'Brexit'

Multiple deaths reported over three days, with queue stretching back 13 miles as millions headed home to celebrate Eid."

I disagree with Godard on one thing.

I'd say funding could be raised to construct a working TIME MACHINE to go back and use methods to build the Parthenon so that it wouldn't crumble or erode if a fee had to be paid for each time people used the word "Whatever".  Or ended an exclamatory sentence with "OK?"

Sepiatone

But you can buy a time machine on E-Bay. Kip did in Napoleon Dynamite.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings