Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Serious Comedy

CaveGirl

Now some can say that finding something funny in the most serious movie is bad form, but for those who are a bit demented, it is almost impossible a situation to resist.

For example, I remember watching a movie from the golden age, and there was a very veiled inference that there would be no progeny in one particular couple due to the male's very pronounced but unspoken "polo injury".

This became a byword in our group, wherein we would occasionally comment about other men just sitting around minding their own business, that would provoke us to wonder if they might have a "polo injury" also. I think we found it amusing being that we knew very few men who played polo and hence it was out of our comfort zone. Now the man in the movie had a "polo injury" with a capital "P" from what was being hinted at, or maybe more rightly I should say with a small "p" since it was quite debilitating enough to make him suicidal. But no matter how serious the situation became, somehow we could not treat it seriously and kept making snide asides.

Of course I feel very guilty now as I'm sure most men with polo injuries, have only their pony to console them and lose their lady friends asap, but still one has to admit that some circumstances that are tragic can lend themselves to comedy. As they say, there's a fine line between such things. Kind of like in "Uncle Vanya" where the person tries to commit suicide offstage and you hear the gunshot and then he walks back on stage and says "I missed."

So, please confess now to any instances where you too, have found the details in a film that are supposed to be deadly serious, instead quite jocular.

Thanks in advance!

"Polo injury", eh CG?!

This reminds me of a guy I once knew who ended up not being able to father children because of an incidence that happen while he gave a pool party at his home.

Yep! I'll never forget how poor ol' Wendell would lie there writhing in great agony after being helped out of the pool, and forever afterward known as his, ahem, "MARCO Polo injury"!

(...that can be a rough game too sometimes, ya know...'specially if ya get tagged too hard in the wrong spot)

;)

"Polo injury", eh CG?!

This reminds me of a guy I once knew who ended up not being able to father children because of an incidence that happen while he gave a pool party at his home.

Yep! I'll never forget how poor ol' Wendell would lie there writhing in great agony after being helped out of the pool, and forever afterward known as his, ahem, "MARCO Polo injury"!

(...that can be a rough game too sometimes, ya know...'specially if ya get tagged too hard in the wrong spot)

BM-BaloneyDetector-lg.jpg

• Like 1

BM-BaloneyDetector-lg.jpg

HEY now, Lawrence! You callin' me a "LIAR" here, dude???!!!

Wwwweeeell, okay. I guess I did kind'a stretch the truth there a bit.

(...but then tell me...how the hell could I set up that lame "Marco Polo injury" joke without doin' that, HUH?!!!)

;)

• Like 2

"Polo injury", eh CG?!

;)

Chalk that injury up to too many balls on the table maybe, Dargo when eight would have been enough!

OK, as long as the films don't have to be Good:

In James Whale's "Green Hell" (1940)--Alan Hale to rest of cast, telling them of wounded Joan Bennett's condition: "She's okay!  It's only a coma!

In "Not As a Stranger" (1955)--During a typhoid epidemic, worried wife Olivia De Havilland phones Dr. Robert Mitchum's office.  Mitchum is having an affair with Mrs. Lang ( Gloria Grahame):  Nurse to De Havilland: "I'm sorry, the doctor is out at the moment.  He should be home soon.  He's giving his last shot to Mrs. Lang ."

In "The Sandpiper" (1965), a film full of howlers, this is my favorite;  Burton:  "I've lost all my sense of sin!"

In "The Exorcist II: The Heretic" (1977), Burton, about what he's fighting: "EEEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIILLLLLLL!"

I've always been ahead of my time--

I was laughing at Oliver Stone's wretched excess years before it was socially acceptable, and "Born on the 4th of July" was chock-full of howlers from beginning to end that got me visibly dirty looks for cracking up at in the theater.  (Shh, it's Vietnam-guilt from the Platoon director deconstructing America's shame, you're being sacrilegious!)

...Am I wrong for thinking that two guys having a wheelchair fight actually looks sort of fun?   :unsure:

In "The Exorcist II: The Heretic" (1977), Burton, about what he's fighting: "EEEEEEEEVVVVVVIIIIIILLLLLLL!"

Wait, does he actually say that in the final cut?

I watched it after reading the Golden Turkeys writeup like everyone else (and the Medveds do tend to embroider their stories based on early-screening experiences), but all I remember is the scene where Burton just repeatedly says "Evil" as Louise Fletcher tries to come up with acceptable excuses for the word.

I don't want to go back and check, you see.

EricJ--At one time there were at least 4 versions of the film: The original cut, the emergency fix cut Warners shipped to theaters after the film had been out 2(?) weeks, the cut for television (which is where I first saw this film, and Burtons' howl was in this cut), the fix for videotape, and if it's been cut differently for DVD, that's version #5.

I saw the film recently on TCM, and the "Howl" was missing, so I've seen at least two or three different cuts (the one for television, the videotape, and TCM's cut of the film--I'm unsure of what version TCM used).

In the Bette Davis film Dark Victory she's helping pack up her fiance's office and finds her chart. She asks his loyal nurse "What does prognosis mean? What does negative mean?" Years later in a Seinfeld episode, Elaine talks about going to see a movie called Prognosis Negative. My friend who's into classic movies and I laugh about that all the time.

• Like 2

I always laugh in Titanic (1997) when the boat is completely straight up and down and that guy falls off from the top of the boat.  When he hits the propeller, I always laugh.  I shouldn't, because the character has essentially fallen to his death, but the "clink!" sound on the propeller is funny for whatever reason.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings