Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cathy or Kenton

Is it true?

Not sure...but if so, then they succeeded. Hayward switched to working for Walter Wanger and Universal, before moving on to Fox. She really didn't stay at Paramount very long and she never had a lead in a Paramount A film during the 40s. Goddard and Lake were the studio's lead actresses at the time, along with Dorothy Lamour and Joan Caulfield.

Goddard and Lake were the studio's lead actresses at the time, along with Dorothy Lamour and Joan Caulfield.

How fleeting is fame...I don't think I could pick Joan Caulfield out of a line-up. :(

How fleeting is fame...I don't think I could pick Joan Caulfield out of a line-up. :(

Caulfield was in many good pictures. If TCM had Paramount films in the Turner library and they aired more frequently, you'd certainly know her. 

Hayward didn't break out of the pack at Paramount and it was to her advantage that she went on to make pictures for Wanger.

• Like 1

Not sure...but if so, then they succeeded. Hayward switched to working for Walter Wanger and Universal, before moving on to Fox. She really didn't stay at Paramount very long and she never had a lead in a Paramount A film during the 40s. Goddard and Lake were the studio's lead actresses at the time, along with Dorothy Lamour and Joan Caulfield.

What actions could an actor or group of actors take to "conspired to run' another actor out of a studio?    Sounds like a silly accusation to me.

• Like 1

What actions could an actor or group of actors take to "conspired to run' another actor out of a studio?    Sounds like a silly accusation to me.

Exactly. It's the front office that determined who headlined the pictures. Hayward was billed under Goddard in REAP THE WILD WIND and THE FOREST RANGERS. And she was billed under Lake in I MARRIED A WITCH. Given the way her roles were underwritten compared with the lead actresses, Hayward did not stand a chance of stealing those movies. And those women, given their top priority treatment at the studio, had nothing to fear. I am sure they were not jealous of Hayward (and did not need to run her out of Paramount)..it was probably that Hayward was jealous of them and their successes, while she was still struggling to get her name above the title.

Exactly. It's the front office that determined who headlined the pictures. Hayward was billed under Goddard in REAP THE WILD WIND and THE FOREST RANGERS. And she was billed under Lake in I MARRIED A WITCH. Given the way her roles were underwritten compared with the lead actresses, Hayward did not stand a chance of stealing those movies. And those women, given their top priority treatment at the studio, had nothing to fear. I am sure they were not jealous of Hayward (and did not need to run her out of Paramount)..it was probably that Hayward was jealous of them and their successes, while she was still struggling to get her name above the title.

My view here is that Walter Wanger saw that Hayward had a lot of potential and Hayward saw that Wanger could make her a major star.     They teamed up and it was a win-win.

• Like 2

My view here is that Walter Wanger saw that Hayward had a lot of potential and Hayward saw that Wanger could make her a major star.     They teamed up and it was a win-win.

Exactly. And that would not have happened if she stayed at Paramount. She was a second-tier actress at Paramount and occasional lead in B films. She actually should have stayed at Republic which is where she was before Paramount...because her projects at Republic were more suited to her persona. But at Paramount, she had very underwritten parts. The role she plays in I MARRIED A WITCH is sort of meant for a character actress, like a stage type, not a starlet. And the focus is all on Lake & March, not her at all. 

As you said, Wanger saw potential and built some good Technicolor productions around her at Universal. She hit the big time with TAP ROOTS, which is my favorite Susan Hayward movie (Julie London plays her sister and Van Heflin is the lead); and she struck gold again in Wanger's western CANYON PASSAGE, directed by Jacques Tourneur. After these two hits, she was finally a bonafide A-list star and her services were being requested by Goldwyn and Zanuck. 

Lawrence...should you have the opportunity to view a line-up...here is a photo to help you pick out Joan. You wouldn't be disappointed. :D

• Like 1

This is why Paulette was a major star at Paramount and Susan Hayward was not. You need to be an ex-sorority girl, dripping with glamour, and married to a legend:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-08%2Bat%2B6.15.5

• Like 1