Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Personal favs. aside, what are your candidate's as all-time best actor & actress?

spence

(*-denotes an Academy (AMPAS) Award winner)

& as I posted on heading, own personal favorite's aside, who would each of you rank as the all-time greatest motion picture actor and actress???

Of course I'll start the ball rolling w/mine>

1st place *Spencer Tracy-(l900-l967)-(of course also my own fav.)

2nd *Charles Chaplin (l889-l977)

3rd *Marlon Brando (l924-2004)

& runner-up: *Laurence 0livier (l907-89)-(P.S. & as for "Alive" male actors: *Daniel Day-Lewis-(l957-) & *Anthony Hopkins (l937-)

AND; finest movie actress I've ever seen>-(P.S. & personal choice w/Natalie Wood-(l938-l98l) as my own favourite)

But, the best-(just in my opinion of course):

1st place Greta Garbo (l905-l990)

2nd *Meryl Streep (l949-)

3rd *Katharine Hepburn (l907-2003)

4th *Vivien Leigh (l9l3-67)

& 5th *Ingrid Bergman (l9l5-82)

& I know there are tons of *Bette Davis (l908-89) followers out there

THANK YOU

(P.S. TCM's own Robert 0sborne's fav. is *William Holden-(l9l8-8l) & of The Ladies: Gene Tierney-(l9l0-9l) But, not know if he also thinks *bill was the best?

All-time best actor and actress -- a tough category, since this needs to transcend actors/actresses I like or find attractive, and I have to merit overall performance.

Female -- Meryl Streep

Male - Daniel Day Lewis -- Bryan Cranston might be my current runner-up.  I just saw the HBO film of him as LBJ, and his performance was tremendous, and his capture of that president's persona almost spooky!  I often felt I was watching the real person.

Actors

1. Edward G. Robinson

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Charlie Chaplin

4. Laurence Olivier

5. Fredric March

runners up Daniel Day-Lewis, Jimmy Stewart, John Gilbert, William Holden, Jack Lemmon.

Actresses

1. Bette Davis

2. Meryl Streep

3. Lillian Gish

4. Joan Crawford

5. Katharine Hepburn

runners up Miriam Hopkins, Marion Davies, Anne Bancroft, Jane Fonda, Norma Talmadge.

Actors ARE THE YOUR PERSONAL FAVS OR WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE GREATEST?

1. Edward G. Robinson

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Charlie Chaplin

4. Laurence Olivier

5. Fredric March

runners up Daniel Day-Lewis, Jimmy Stewart, John Gilbert, William Holden, Jack Lemmon.

Actresses

1. Bette Davis

2. Meryl Streep

3. Lillian Gish

4. Joan Crawford

5. Katharine Hepburn

runners up Miriam Hopkins, Marion Davies, Anne Bancroft, Jane Fonda, Norma Talmadge.

I'm okay with most of these lists, so that I don't have to make my own list.

However-- Charles Laughton is the best English-speaking actor I've seen in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I don't now about Joan Crawford-- no Go show Boat on that one.

If people insist upon Meryl Streep, what can we do about it? LOL

Ingrid Bergman, Bette Davis, and Katharine Hepburn-- all excellent choices

( did anybody say Barbara Stanwyck? give us a break here)

Greta Garbo is screen presence, not a great actress. I never could understand anything she was saying in English.

Spencer Tracy will always be an excellent choice no matter what, no matter who comes later!

THANX TO ALL THE JOINED-IN, HOWEVER THOUGHT & YOU'D THINK OF SUCH A TOPIC, THERE WOULD BE MORE FELLOW "TCM-ITE'S" VOTING HERE???

I just wanted to add some additional trivia/facts, on what other moviefans & mediums, chose/voted as "THE BEST IN CINEMATIC HISTORY!-(see below)

It's likely almost all on these forums know about AFI's-(American Film Institute) & it's now famed special surveys of the all-time greatest in THE MOVIES-(though I'm not sure it's 2nd special-(aired on CBS tv)

"AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars"-(l999)-(voted down to the top #25 from #250 overall)

was truly based on "greatness" & not "popularity?" Although it's debut one from '98 "AFI's 100yrs...100 Movies" seemed to be based on the official "GREATEST FILMS EVER PRODUCED" Plus, it's sequel "AFI's 10th Anniversary Edition" from 1997.

At any rate, I'll still list AFI's top ten finalists-(out of 25 total):-(NOTE: Been a card-carrying member since '92, though at lower-level, but still got to vote in those first two polls & it's spokesman even sent me the vids, books & posters)

AFI's 100yrs...100 Stars-(l999 poll):

1st place Humphrey Bogart

2. Cary Grant

3. *James Stewart

4. *Marlon Brando

5th Fred Astaire-(see what I mean)

6. *Henry Fonda

7. *Clark Gable

8. *James Cagney

9. *Spencer Tracy

& 10th *Charlie Chaplin

& of actresses:

1st *Kate Hepburn

2. *Bette Davis

3. *Audrey Hepburn

4. *Ingrid Bergman-(TRIVIA: *Tracy always said she was the best to work with, except 1)

5. Greta Garbo

6. Marilyn Monroe

7. *Liz Taylor

8. Judy Garland

9. Marlene Dietrich

& 10th *Joan Crawford

AND; in '71 polled it's people at "Variety" as to what they thought was the best:

(SILENT ERA)

Actors: *Chaplin

Actresses: Garbo

Directors: D.W. Griffith

& Film: "The Birth of a Nation"

(SOUND ERA):

Actors: *Spencer Tracy

Actresses: *I. Bergman

Producer: *Samuel Goldwyn

& Picture: *"GWTW"

& (OVERALL):

Actors: *Chaplin

Actresses: Greta Garbo

Directors: D.W. Griffith

Producers: *Thalberg

& Film: *"GWTW"

(MORE FROM "THE FILES" WHICH I'VE BEEN COLLECTING & UPDATING SINCE 1982)

Plus, other fun-facts on people citing the same: *O. Welles always picked: *James Cagney. Cary Grant, Mickey Rooney. *Katharine Hepburn of course *"Her Spenca" as she'd call him, matter of fact, majority of critics vote for: *Brando, but by an approx. majority of 75% to 80% always immediately will say *"The Great: Spencer Tracy!" & *Kate also thought Garbo was just amazing! *Meryl Streep idolizes *"Bette Davis. Ebert & Siskel both chose *Bergman. Leonard Maltin, *Chaplin-(also his hero & idol), Glenn Close, *K. Hepburn. *J. Lange, *K. Hepburn. *D. Day-Lewis, *Brando. *Sean Penn, *De Niro. Robert Duvall always thought *Tracy & *Chaplin were the finest ever. Lauren Bacall used to idolize *B. Davis. Liam Neeson's hero is *"The King of Hollywood: Gable." but don't think he rated him as the best-(also the subject of a TCM docu. yrs ago) & Melanie Griffith did the same w/Harlow. MADONNA's idols are: Marilyn Monroe & Dietrich-(but the same applies) Johnny Carson had 2 heroes: Jack Benny & for pure acting: *Jimmy Stewart. Robert Downey, Jr., obviously *Chaplin. *Clint Eastwood, *James Stewart, *Gary Cooper and *James Cagney. Winona Ryder used to say B. Stanwyck, but in recent yrs she thinks *Oscar winner: *Kate Winslet is just thee greatest ever! & as I wrote Robert 0sborne loved *Holden the most, as do: *Kevin Costner, Alec Baldwin & Bill Murray. James Caan, *Brando. fmr USA Today Critic Mike Clark chose *"The Chairman of the Board: Sinatra" as his idol, but again don't think he meant best film actor. *Anthony Hopkins, *Olivier. Johnny Depp, *Chaplin & B. Keaton, Richard Gere, *Henry Fonda. *Morgan Freeman his great pal *Eastwood., *Cher has loved & admired *Ginger ("Ms. RKO") Rogers since her childhood. *George Clooney's *Tracy. Nick Nolte, *Brando. Michael Keaton & Michael J. Fox both vote for *Cagney. & though he was somewhat a "method actor" *Rod Steiger always thought *Muni was A #1. *Tom Hanks, *Jimmy Stewart. Spike Lee, *De Niro. Jennifer Jason-Leigh, *Brando & Stanwyck.

*Julianne Moore, *B. Davis)& MANY, MANY, MORE OF COURSE

(& in 1999 EW-(Entertainment weekly polled it's readers for all-timers-(out of over 12,000 Readers)& IT'S IN NEED OF A REVISED SURVEY!!!

Best Actor/Classic & Modern Era combined:

1st place *James Stewart (l8.7% of the votes)

2. *Hopkins.......(16.9%)

3. Harrison Ford (16.2%)

4. *Tom Hanks.....(11.1%)

5th place (tie) *Brando & Kevin Spacey (10/4% of EW voters)

AND; Actresses combined:

1st *Meryl Streep (325%)

2. *Katharine Hepburn (21.5%)

3. *Audrey Hepburn (20.6%)

4. Michelle Pfeiffer (12/3%)

& 5th *Jodie Foster (11.4%)

• Like 1

The ever cool, sexy & talented Stanwyck came it at No. #11th of "The Ladies" in AFI's '99 survey & 12th was *Colbert

As for the 2 runners-up among male stars:

#11th place was *Gary Cooper & *Peck came in at 12th

But, & outrageously-(likely due to our current & ever growing PC era, *"The Duke: John Wayne came in all the way down AFI's list at #13th??? & on top of that, the never even awarded him it's annual award?

The ever cool, sexy & talented Stanwyck came it at No. #11th of "The Ladies" in AFI's '99 survey & 12th was *Colbert

As for the 2 runners-up among male stars:

#11th place was *Gary Cooper & *Peck came in at 12th

But, & outrageously-(likely due to our current & ever growing PC era, *"The Duke: John Wayne came in all the way down AFI's list at #13th??? & on top of that, the never even awarded him it's annual award?

PC has nothing to do with it. John Wayne was just a figment of John Ford's imagination. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

from the silent era:

1. John Gilbert

2. Emil Jannings

3. Lon Chaney

4. William Haines

5. Wallace Reid

1, Lillian Gish

2. Norma Talmadge

3. Mary Pickford

4. Marion Davies

5. Gloria Swanson

• Like 1

PC has nothing to do with it. John Wayne was just a figment of John Ford's imagination. He couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.

That's not really a fair estimation of Wayne.  He was actually a better actor than most of his roles would lead one to beleive.  But as one in an occupation that routinely has the highest unemployment numbers of many other professions, many will take roles or other parts to simply keep being able to pay the rent and eat, or keep up the lifestyles they've become accustomed to.

Wayne obviously was aware of his "hook", and knew he became favored among movie goers for the character(s) he portrayed onscreen and didn't mind making a lucrative living from doing what people expected of him.  Other actors and actresses do likewise.  And it's the same in other fields of entertainment.

Take guitarist/singer GEORGE BENSON for example.  He was a MUCH better musician than his '70's "top 40" hits would betray, and was once considered  the top of his field in the realm of jazz guitarists.  But his particular area of jazz wasn't as lucrative, and citing he had  "Mouths to feed and provide the best I can for..." made NO apologies for the path he followed.

As for the thread, I can offer no candidates as "personal favs" will always tend to creep in regarless HOW objective some people pretend to be.  I KNOW I'll fall prey, so I'll now bow out.

Sepiatone

Spence could be right that PC could be a reason Wayne wasn't listed in the top 3.   Here if how the AFI defines 'greatest screen legends':

"American screen legend" as an actor or a team of actors during the classic film era with a significant screen presence in American feature-length (40 min) films".

Acting ability or fine acting performances are only a portion of the criteria related to 'significant screen presence'.

Therefore while I wouldn't rate Wayne as one of the top 50 actors based on ability and performances,   I would rate him in the top 3 for 'significant screen presence'.   

e.g. Monroe is #6,   but Olivia DeHavilland isn't even in the top 25.     More proof that acting ability wasn't THE driving factor in determining the rankings.

Spence could be right that PC could be a reason Wayne wasn't listed in the top 3.   Here if how the AFI defines 'greatest screen legends':

"American screen legend" as an actor or a team of actors during the classic film era with a significant screen presence in American feature-length (40 min) films".

Acting ability or fine acting performances are only a portion of the criteria related to 'significant screen presence'.

Therefore while I wouldn't rate Wayne as one of the top 50 actors based on ability and performances,   I would rate him in the top 3 for 'significant screen presence'.   

e.g. Monroe is #6,   but Olivia DeHavilland isn't even in the top 25.     More proof that acting ability wasn't THE driving factor in determining the rankings.

To Princess of Tap, unfortunately, many people say the same thing about *"The Duke?"

True, he wasn't a versatile actor in same league as a *Tracy or *0livier & such, but his work in "The Searchers" & "Red River" not to mention "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" has depth!

Actors ARE THE YOUR PERSONAL FAVS OR WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE GREATEST?

1. Edward G. Robinson

2. Humphrey Bogart

3. Charlie Chaplin

4. Laurence Olivier

5. Fredric March

Actresses

1. Bette Davis

2. Meryl Streep

3. Lillian Gish

4. Joan Crawford

5. Katharine Hepburn

& yet-(ridiculously) Edward G.-(Emmanuel Goldenberg)-(l893-l973) made 101 films & not 1 single shot at an *Oscar?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings