Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Matter How Many Times I Try Watching It I Still Fall Asleep

Have you a film you try watching on numerous occasions and just find yourself always nodding out or falling asleep during it and never completely watch it?  Mine is "The Front Page" (1931).  Someday I hope to see it through.

Have you a film you try watching on numerous occasions and just find yourself always nodding out or falling asleep during it and never completely watch it?  Mine is "The Front Page" (1931).  Someday I hope to see it through.

Why?

I have a friend who calls a certain movie "The Sound of Mucus" and says it puts him to sleep every time it is on.

• Like 1

I was out of college by the time I finally saw all of "2001" and "Dr. Strangelove" in their entireties.  (And then only on video, with bathroom/kitchen breaks.)

Like being in the back of class, it's easy to lose attention when Kubrick drones the dialogue into the background by putting you twenty yards away from it.

I was out of college by the time I finally saw all of "2001" and "Dr. Strangelove" in their entireties.  (And then only on video, with bathroom/kitchen breaks.)

Like being in the back of class, it's easy to lose attention when Kubrick drones the dialogue into the background by putting you twenty yards away from it.

I ADORE both of those movies.

...but if I hated a movie as bad as MUCUS I would think it would keep me awake.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed a number of John Le Carre's novels, but The Russia House literally put me to sleep several nights in a row. I had higher hopes for the film, with location shooting and what turned out to be excellent performances by Sean Connery and Michelle Pfeiffer. Alas, the screenplay followed the book so faithfully that The Russia House also proved to be soporific as a movie.

• Like 1

The 1963 version of "Cleopatra" took four or five attempts to stay awake through the entire movie.     Once Rex Harrison left the film and Richard Burton took over, I went to sleep--the one time I watched and stayed awake, I drank a pot of coffee to stay awake.

• Like 2

The 1963 version of "Cleopatra" took four or five attempts to stay awake through the entire movie.     Once Rex Harrison left the film and Richard Burton took over, I went to sleep--the one time I watched and stayed awake, I drank a pot of coffee to stay awake.

I have never seen the entire film.   Like you after Harrison left the film I went to sleep,  but unlike you I have never watched the remainder of the film.    Hey, and since my wife is Italian I drink espresso!     

• Like 3

I have that problem with THE GODFATHER III

Fell asleep at the theater when it came out, and three or four more times when trying to get through the VHS tape.  

I use the cassette now to steady a wobbly old table.

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Why torture yourself? ONCE is enough for me.

hobbit_desolation_of_smaug_poster.jpg

• Like 1

Seems strange to nod off during a fast-paced film like that. Do you also nod off during HIS GIRL FRIDAY?

• Like 1

Seems strange to nod off during a fast-paced film like that. Do you also nod off during HIS GIRL FRIDAY?

I prefer the '74 Matthau/Lemmon Billy Wilder film, and there's no sleeping through that.

The other versions; Girl Friday and the 1974 Wilder version were both superior and better than the 1931 original.  Oh. I also won't need a sleeping pill if I also watch War and Peace (1956).or Random Harvest (1942).

I apologize CAVEGIRL, for being so late with my "like" of your HOBBIT post.

In fact ALL of those "Lord Of The Ring" flicks, as did the books they came from, bore me to the bottom of my bowels!

I've often referred to the first three as "The Sandman Trilogy".  ;)

Sepiatone

In fact ALL of those "Lord Of The Ring" flicks, as did the books they came from, bore me to the bottom of my bowels!

Sepiatone

Bottom of my bowels? I never heard that expression, and, frankly, I'm glad.

• Like 1

Sepiatone

I've had a horrible day so far, Sepia. I had to climb a fence to get to work since they were paving my street and I had to park my car one street over, my cable sound went off after an Emergency Alert System blurb that lasted for ten minutes, I burnt my croissant I was having for breakfast, and my phone went dead, but just knowing that someone else hates the Hobbit, has made my day improve immeasurably!

• Like 1

I've had a horrible day so far, Sepia. I had to climb a fence to get to work since they were paving my street and I had to park my car one street over, my cable sound went off after an Emergency Alert System blurb that lasted for ten minutes, I burnt my croissant I was having for breakfast, and my phone went dead, but just knowing that someone else hates the Hobbit, has made my day improve immeasurably!

When you know days like this are coming, just get yourself an emergency FEMA Dunkin' Donuts croissant.

They're so loaded with grease they're impossible to burn.

• Like 1

When you know days like this are coming, just get yourself an emergency FEMA Dunkin' Donuts croissant.

They're so loaded with grease they're impossible to burn.

I wonder if I should start a Hobbit Haters Club, Kid?

I wonder if I should start a Hobbit Haters Club, Kid?

Go ahead. I cannot join, however. Though the films are over inflated, I did enjoy the books.

Though I could join a Big, Fat, Hairy Foot Haters Club.

HBO is giving a few days of free movies.  Thought I try out the remake of "Mildred Pierce" (2011)

It's COMA time!  Zzzzzzz

This thing can't hold a candle to the 1945 classic.

mildred_pierce.jpg

Veda is still the spoiled, obnoxiouas, little b___h.

p1veda.png

I would unfortunately have to say Gone With The Wind (I like what I have seen, just never been blown away). Others include Spartacus and really any Kubrick...

I also had a tough time making it through Die Nibelungen but trudged my way through by breaking up into multiple viewings as work schedule got hectic around the time.

Otherwise, I tend to finish films, even bad ones, to see the ending.