Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Secret Life of Pets" 2016

"The mediocre animated comedy The Secret Lives of Pets is based on an original idea by Chris Meledandri, the head of Illumination Entertainment, the studio responsible for the Despicable Me movies and their popular spinoff Minions. That idea? Toy Story but with house pets, which really tests the elasticity of the word "original." For animal lovers, however, the hook ("Ever wonder what your pets do when you're not home?") is mainlined catnip, given the degree to which we already anthropomorphize our beloved kitties and pups (and hamsters and fish and falcons). The fantasy may relieve a little guilt, too: It's nice to imagine them socializing and having adventures rather than sitting around bored, waiting for their owners to return from work...

These are not how pets act when their owners are not around. This is how they act when they're in a Madagascar sequel...

The Secret Life of Pets drifts away from the fantasy that sparked it, until the pets don't seem like pets anymore."

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/07/484934938/just-fur-fun-peeking-at-the-secret-life-of-pets?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160707

"Another Sucker Found" — that was the sign on the take-home box that held the first pet I ever adopted, a kitty named Fitzie. The same principle applies to all of you who see The Secret Life of Pets, an animated fluffball that does everything to drive you crazy and ends up by being totally irresistible.

Have you ever imagined what your pet does when you leave the house? Then this is the movie for you. Chris Renaud (Despicable Me) and his co-director Yarrow Cheney pull out all the stops in the too-busy script by Cinco Paul, Ken Daurio and Brian Lynch (Minions). Sometimes you wish they'd pull back a little on the throttle. But they know how to use this Toy Story with critters to get loads of laughs  and put a lump in your throat....."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-secret-life-of-pets-20160706

"the film is clearly the work of dog people, and traffics — like nearly every other movie in its genre — in some tired anti-feline stereotypes. I could go on about this, but I’m not supposed to let my political opinions affect my reviews. And I’m not biased.

Dogs are fine. I have shared my home and opened my heart to a few of them. But they’re also just too easy, with their wet noses and broad pink tongues and eagerness to please.

Cats are demanding. Complex. A more daring movie would have ventured beyond fat, pampered house cats and scrawny alley predators in its depiction of them. Representation matters...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/movies/the-secret-life-of-pets-review.html

:o

wet-mad-cat.jpg

• Like 1

"the film is clearly the work of dog people, and traffics — like nearly every other movie in its genre — in some tired anti-feline stereotypes. I could go on about this, but I’m not supposed to let my political opinions affect my reviews. And I’m not biased.

Dogs are fine. I have shared my home and opened my heart to a few of them. But they’re also just too easy, with their wet noses and broad pink tongues and eagerness to please.

Cats are demanding. Complex. A more daring movie would have ventured beyond fat, pampered house cats and scrawny alley predators in its depiction of them. Representation matters...."

I agree with this and birds are even more complex then dogs.   

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/08/movies/the-secret-life-of-pets-review.html

wet-mad-cat.jpg

My kids loved it thats all that counts.